5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

H&Rs installed on stock schocks looks good but rides is still bouncy

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2002, 09:06 PM

H&Rs installed on stock schocks looks good but rides is still bouncy

I had my H&Rs installed last weekend they were okay for a couple of days. Last Sunday I took a road trip to Wisconsin and I almost got car sick because the car kept bouncing on the Highway. Around town the car seems to handle the bumps well but on the expressway and certain dips in the road the cars keeps rebounding. A couple of times I've had to hit my brakes to make it stop. Is this normal? All the post that I've read recently about stock shocks and springs people seem to be fine. Should I get the FSB and RSB? will this stop the bouncing? or should I just get the Tockico Blues? will they stop the bouncing? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 09-09-2002, 09:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

usually ppl have little problem with HR and stock struts.....if it is bouncy, that means ur stock struts cannot hand the HR springs. getting RSB or FSTB is not going to help you and tokico blue should work fine with the HR.
Old 09-09-2002, 09:31 PM

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]
usually ppl have little problem with HR and stock struts.....if it is bouncy, that means ur stock struts cannot hand the HR springs. getting RSB or FSTB is not going to help you and tokico blue should work fine with the HR.
Old 09-09-2002, 09:32 PM

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]
Thanks! I think I'll break down and buy them soon. I've heard great things about KONIs to bad they're not a direct fit or else I would ge those.
Old 09-09-2002, 09:47 PM

I have H&R's with my stock struts too and it is defintiely way too
bouncy...Cornering, on the other hand feels much improved (on smooth roads anyway).

Should be getting KYB AGX's in a month or two.
I've heard some good things on the .org about them combined.
Old 09-09-2002, 10:07 PM

Originally posted by GMAX1

Thanks! I think I'll break down and buy them soon. I've heard great things about KONIs to bad they're not a direct fit or else I would ge those.
I would recommand AGX too since they are way lot cheaper and easier to adjust the rear shocks. I choose koni because the 5th gen rear eibach does not fit into the perch of the rear shock of AGX. If u can wait till next year, Koni and KYB will have 5th gen struts in production.
Old 09-10-2002, 12:42 AM

is it more bouncy than stock springs/strut combo? i'm not understanding the physics behind this. the h&r springs are firmer than stock springs, but the ride gets more bouncy? i guess you can blame it on the struts...but why/how???
Old 09-10-2002, 04:37 AM

Originally posted by MAXRAY
is it more bouncy than stock springs/strut combo? i'm not understanding the physics behind this. the h&r springs are firmer than stock springs, but the ride gets more bouncy? i guess you can blame it on the struts...but why/how???
The spring only determines how much force is neccessary to move the wheel up a given amount. Aftermarket springs usually require more force than a stock spring to make up for the reduced travel. However, it is the job of the strut to actually convert that energy to heat. The spring will just oscillate unless the energy is absorbed. Since the stock struts were designed with stock springs in mind, they probably rely on the longer travel of the stock strut piston under loading. With the longer travel, the strut piston is able to absorb the energy in a controlled and comfortable manner. When you moved to aftermarket springs, you are know forcing the strut to work within a much narrower band of travel. As such, the strut doesn't have the ability to absorb the energy and the spring does what it knows how to do, oscillate. I hope I explained this well enough for everyone and if I am mistaken anywhere, please correct me.
Old 09-10-2002, 06:13 AM

H&R's A OK

I have the same set up; H&R's with stock struts. I have experienced the opposite. The car was bouncy as hell, now the car is firm and under control when I jump on it. It scared the heck out of me when I took the car out on a spirited run. Now the car hugs the road and I have more control and confidence with the handling characteristics of my ride. It takes getting use to. The car is more bouncy due to the fact that it sits lower and you feel all the bumps now, however the handling is vastly improved. A small trade off for a great mod.
Old 09-10-2002, 06:34 AM

Re: H&R's A OK

Originally posted by CJLax
I have the same set up; H&R's with stock struts. I have experienced the opposite. The car was bouncy as hell, now the car is firm and under control when I jump on it. It scared the heck out of me when I took the car out on a spirited run. Now the car hugs the road and I have more control and confidence with the handling characteristics of my ride. It takes getting use to. The car is more bouncy due to the fact that it sits lower and you feel all the bumps now, however the handling is vastly improved. A small trade off for a great mod.
Same thing for me. It rides great. It is not any more boncy when it was with stock springs.
Old 09-10-2002, 08:17 AM

Re: H&R's A OK

Originally posted by CJLax
How long have you guys had your H&Rs on your car? After reading your posts maybe I should hold off on getting the Toks.
Old 09-10-2002, 08:51 AM

I did the opposite. Installled Tokico Blues with stock springs. No more bounce or float with very little acrifice in ride comfort. I'd read that the Tokico Blues are probably not the best aftermarket strut/shock to install with aftermarket springs however. KYB ABX and others being preferred with aftermarket springs.
I wasn't looking to lower the car and wanted very little tradeoff in ride comfort so went with the Tokico Blues with stock springs and am satisfied. I was ready to sell the car(2k3 SE) beforehand.
Old 09-10-2002, 09:52 AM

Re: Re: H&R's A OK

How long have you guys had your H&Rs on your car? After reading your posts maybe I should hold off on getting the Toks.
I had H&Rs for about 4 months now and car rides great.
Old 09-10-2002, 09:57 AM

Originally posted by nick778
I did the opposite. Installled Tokico Blues with stock springs. No more bounce or float with very little acrifice in ride comfort. I'd read that the Tokico Blues are probably not the best aftermarket strut/shock to install with aftermarket springs however. KYB ABX and others being preferred with aftermarket springs.
I wasn't looking to lower the car and wanted very little tradeoff in ride comfort so went with the Tokico Blues with stock springs and am satisfied. I was ready to sell the car(2k3 SE) beforehand.
The reason I didn't go with Tokicos is because I hated them on my 1995 Maxima. I didn't want to spend money on shocks again and get the same results.

I went with H&Rs because I couldn't stand looking at the car with stock springs. It is freaking 4X4. Looks so ugly. H&Rs lower the car just the right amount, the ride quality is pretty much the same as stock springs. Car handles better now with H&Rs, turns are much flatter.
Old 09-10-2002, 10:08 AM

Your problem is that your shocks are too worn. Then people that have stock shocks w/o OEM springs are ok because their shocks are relatively new. Replacing the shocks will solve your problem. Which shocks you choose to go with is up to you.

I have H&R with tokicos and I love it.
Old 09-10-2002, 10:51 AM

Originally posted by T-bone
Your problem is that your shocks are too worn. Then people that have stock shocks w/o OEM springs are ok because their shocks are relatively new. Replacing the shocks will solve your problem. Which shocks you choose to go with is up to you.

I have H&R with tokicos and I love it.

I have 3200 miles and I am thinking about the tokicos.
Did your TOKS dtop the car from bouncing???
Old 09-10-2002, 11:02 AM

I have 3200 miles and I am thinking about the tokicos.
Did your TOKS dtop the car from bouncing???
I installed the tokicos with the H&R's at the same time. I did this after riding in Cutlr7's car. The ride is near stock, but it takes the bumps better. I don't feel the jitter that I did with the oem set up (which was replaced after 50K miles).

My advice to you would be to ride in a car with the suspension setup that you're interested in geting.