5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Handling thoughts and Q's

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2002, 09:08 AM

Handling thoughts and Q's

Right now I am running FSTB, H&R springs with Tokico Blues up front, and KYB-AGX setting 4 in the rear. The ride is better than stock, especially going over freeway dips at high speeds (90+) with a full load. The AGX is really helps control the rear end.

My car handles better (more nuetral, less understeer) with 5 people in the car, obviously due to weight distribution. I am trying to figure out a way to duplicate this when its just me driving. I was thinking about coupling my Toks up front with progress springs in the front only. I figure this would add roll stiffness in the front. I'll keep the H&R/AGX in the back to retain ride comfort. But since the H&R's have less roll stiffness than the progress up front the car would roll more in the back and push the back end out counteracting the inherent understeer.

The lower progress springs will make my car look better.

Good Idea?

So progress springs up front coupled with Toks and H&R/AGX in the rear? Ride, handling, looks?
Old 09-17-2002, 09:27 AM
Maxima Pilot

Nope, u have it bass-ackwards. If u

increase roll stiffness in the front it will load the tires more -particularly the outside, 'loaded' tire more, hence increasing understeer.

If you think about it, that's why the RSB works so well at countering understeer...because it adds roll stiffness to the rear versus the front thereby creating more loading in the rear outside tire. Put another way, it transfers loading from the front to the rear, thereby making the car feel more neutral.

Things you can do:
1. relocate the battery to the rear...that's about 40 lbs off the front and to the rear, a total of ~80 lbs of 'moment' shifted, that's good for 2.2% improved weight distribution assuming a 3500 curb weight with fuel & you in the car. BTW, that will also smooth the ride a bit in the rear.
2. If u have a Stillen RSB, set it to the tightest setting to create as much load as possible to the outside rear wheel
3. Change your tire pressures....drop the rear to 3-4 PSI less than the front to allow the tire to 'roll' laterally a bit more on the rim.
4. Since you've already lowered your CG and roll center with the lowering springs & added roll resistance to the rear, consider replacing the front sway bar to the one in the GLE/GXE...it's less stiff, will augment the effect of the RSB.
5. Last resort: Buy a G35!