5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Tire Spray?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2002, 02:43 PM

Tire Spray?

I recently bought a set of Dunlop SP/A2's for my 00 SE Auto (bought early so has 16" wheels). In case ya want to know I got them at Discount Tire in Maplewood, MN for $116/tire installed including lifetime rotate and balance. My Toyo's were hydroplaning (only 38K on them) so I got these Dunlops. They're definitely quieter on the straights, but I don't think they corner as well as the stock Toyos. The Dunlops make the steering feel heavier and less razor like. I sort of expected that figuring I'd compromise because of our MN winters. Anyway, to the point. Does it hurt to use those tire sprays? You know, the ones that make them look all shiny like on the show floor? Something like Tire-Wet perhaps. I've heard from people that it's not good to use those, but I think they make the car look better. Why would one not want to use a spray?
Old 09-18-2002, 02:52 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Re: Tire Spray?

Originally posted by MNMax
I recently bought a set of Dunlop SP/A2's for my 00 SE Auto (bought early so has 16" wheels). In case ya want to know I got them at Discount Tire in Maplewood, MN for $116/tire installed including lifetime rotate and balance. My Toyo's were hydroplaning (only 38K on them) so I got these Dunlops. They're definitely quieter on the straights, but I don't think they corner as well as the stock Toyos. The Dunlops make the steering feel heavier and less razor like. I sort of expected that figuring I'd compromise because of our MN winters. Anyway, to the point. Does it hurt to use those tire sprays? You know, the ones that make them look all shiny like on the show floor? Something like Tire-Wet perhaps. I've heard from people that it's not good to use those, but I think they make the car look better. Why would one not want to use a spray?
Just make sure that you spray the ENTIRE tread with that stuff. Otherwise it just doesn't look right.
Old 09-18-2002, 02:55 PM
jjs

Re: Re: Tire Spray?

Originally posted by asu174

Just make sure that you spray the ENTIRE tread with that stuff. Otherwise it just doesn't look right.
Say what?!?

You like slipping around, don't you?
Old 09-18-2002, 03:07 PM

http://www.is300.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13317178
Old 09-18-2002, 03:12 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

damn, those guys are brutal with eachother
Old 09-18-2002, 03:14 PM

Re: Re: Re: Tire Spray?

Originally posted by jjs

Say what?!?

You like slipping around, don't you?

Of course I wouldn't spray the tread!! Just the sidewalls. Maybe a tiny bit of overspray or something....but what I'm wondering is if it's bad for the tires to spray the sidewalls with lube.
Old 09-18-2002, 03:25 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Tire Spray?

Of course I wouldn't spray the tread!! Just the sidewalls. Maybe a tiny bit of overspray or something....but what I'm wondering is if it's bad for the tires to spray the sidewalls with lube.
No. The gel stuff COULD lead to browning over time, but the spray stuff is fine. The only thing that sucks is that it spins off all over the side of your car. I prefer the Black Magic Tire Black stuff. Seems to minimize spin off. I can't imagine my life without some sort of tire shine. I use mine 3 times a week.
Old 09-18-2002, 03:25 PM

You remember what happened to the last guy that did that don't you?
Old 09-18-2002, 03:37 PM

It's not bad to spray the tires with some sort of armor-all, etc. Most do have some sort of protectant as well. There's no doubt it's better to clean tires and spray, then to do nothing at all.

IMO, I wouldn't spray directly on tire either. I personally make sure I "spray on a rag then wipe tire down." I heard a long time ago (maybe BS) from a "show-car" owner, that if you get spray on the "wheels" over time it can discolor. I dunno. But better to be safe than...
Old 09-18-2002, 05:11 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tire Spray?

Originally posted by CHAZMAX

It's not bad to spray the tires with some sort of armor-all, etc. Most do have some sort of protectant as well. There's no doubt it's better to clean tires and spray, then to do nothing at all.

IMO, I wouldn't spray directly on tire either. I personally make sure I "spray on a rag then wipe tire down." I heard a long time ago (maybe BS) from a "show-car" owner, that if you get spray on the "wheels" over time it can discolor. I dunno. But better to be safe than...
From what i understand, you shouldn't use products that contain petroleum distillates. That is what causes the discoloration.
Old 09-18-2002, 06:41 PM

Wow - I've finally posted something!

I've tried almost every kind of tire spray there is. I finally found something that works well and lasts a really long time. The Vinyl & Rubber Dressing from Griot's Garage www.griotsgarage.com is by far the best stuff out there. Granted, it's quite expensive (~$29.99 for 35 oz.) but you need VERY little product to get the job done. In fact, I've only used 1/10th of the bottle and I've shined close to 40 tires! I would also suggest buying the Griots Rubber Cleaner to clean the tires before applying the dressing. They sell a really comfortable molded tire brush to help facilitate cleaning. I've got almost all the products that Griot's sells (including the Porter Cable Random Orbit Polisher) and I'm convinced they're the best products available. I can elaborate on what works and what doesn't if anyone is interested.
Steve

2002 Maxima SE 6SPD
Super Black/Frost
All Options INCLUDING NAVI, but NO HLSD (One of the first Manual 02's)
Old 09-18-2002, 06:54 PM

I use Wet Tire and love it. It stays on the tires much longer than Armol does, and has a real nice shine to it.
Old 09-18-2002, 07:03 PM

Originally posted by krazyd
I use Wet Tire and love it. It stays on the tires much longer than Armol does, and has a real nice shine to it.
I have use also Eagle One Wet Tire and Meguiars Endurance, natural shine. Both are pretty good. Endurance last longer.
Old 09-19-2002, 12:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by ducky

damn, those guys are brutal with eachother
Brutal aint even the word. At least we civilized here.

Dixit
Old 09-19-2002, 06:14 AM

I have used all different kinds of tire shine for years now... Your best bet is the Meguires purple gel. It will not discolor the tire, won't come flying off when you drive, and it lasts for weeks. It also smells like candy, so I thought about drinking some one day! J/K, but it really is a good product. It's around $6, and it will last you a very long time unlike the sprays which are good for only like 4 or 5 applications. Get it, you won't be disappointed.
Old 09-19-2002, 06:25 AM

Originally posted by GimmeTorq

I have use also Eagle One Wet Tire and Meguiars Endurance, natural shine. Both are pretty good. Endurance last longer.
I used Meguiars Endurance for a long time. It did last but, after a while it collected dirt and became caked on after a few applications. I have since started using Turtle wax TireWax. For one it's cheap and works great. It doesn't spin off the tires and wears off instead of caking on. It also contains U.V. inhibitors to protect from sun damage. Just my $.02
Old 09-19-2002, 06:35 AM

I use the flat Armorol on my tires. I lightly spray the rubber, let it sit a couple minutes, then take a rag and wipe just the excess off, then go over the wheels lightly. Been doing it for a year and a half on my 2k, the tires/wheels still look showroom new. I havent seen any discoloration at all. Lasts over a week if theres no rain. By then its time to wash the car again anyways. BTW, you guys notice how much dust/shieet is in the air? Chit, all you have to do is wash the Max, park it for 2 days outside, and theres tons of dust/crap all over it.
Old 09-19-2002, 06:55 AM

Re: Tire Spray?

OT: which part of the cities you live in? I live in Blaine.
Old 09-19-2002, 07:20 AM

Re: Re: Tire Spray?

Originally posted by Vadim

OT: which part of the cities you live in? I live in Blaine.

Hi,
I'm up in Shoreview, play hockey in Blaine at Schwans. I noticed in your description you have some mods done to your car. Did you do them yourself or have a garage do them? I've wanted to do a few things but am not very mechanical and don't have a good trusty garage/mechanic. Any recommendation would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 09-19-2002, 07:34 AM

Re: Re: Re: Tire Spray?

Hi,
I'm up in Shoreview, play hockey in Blaine at Schwans. I noticed in your description you have some mods done to your car. Did you do them yourself or have a garage do them? I've wanted to do a few things but am not very mechanical and don't have a good trusty garage/mechanic. Any recommendation would be appreciated.

Thanks
I do them all myself so far. I have a friend who works in downtown Firestone. I can always go there if I need to. What do you want to do to your car? BTW, we are going racing to Rock Falls, WI on the 28th of this month, wanna go?
Old 09-19-2002, 07:40 AM

I do them all myself so far. I have a friend who works in downtown Firestone. I can always go there if I need to. What do you want to do to your car? BTW, we are going racing to Rock Falls, WI on the 28th of this month, wanna go?

I've got the GF's bro's wedding reception in Duluth that weekend. As for mod's, I dunno, something to spice her up to hang with the new Maxis. I wanna trade in for the 3.5/6sp but can't afford to take the hit financially. Whatever gives best bang for buck HP, like Y or Mid pipe, UDP, etc. But I also want to affect nothing pertaining to reliability. This is my everyday driver with 39K miles on it. Oh, maybe the front strut brace and rear sway bar too. Could probably handle the FSTB myself, but beyond that I'd probably be lost.
Old 09-19-2002, 07:52 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tire Spray?

I've got the GF's bro's wedding reception in Duluth that weekend. As for mod's, I dunno, something to spice her up to hang with the new Maxis. I wanna trade in for the 3.5/6sp but can't afford to take the hit financially. Whatever gives best bang for buck HP, like Y or Mid pipe, UDP, etc. But I also want to affect nothing pertaining to reliability. This is my everyday driver with 39K miles on it. Oh, maybe the front strut brace and rear sway bar too. Could probably handle the FSTB myself, but beyond that I'd probably be lost.
check your PM
Old 09-19-2002, 07:56 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tire Spray?

check your PM
Huh??
Old 09-19-2002, 08:18 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tire Spray?

Huh??
your Private messages
Old 09-19-2002, 08:22 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tire Spray?

your Private messages
I've never used that functionality. Call me dumb, but how do I check them? It's not glaringly obvious, or I'm on crack, one of the two.
Old 09-19-2002, 08:27 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tire Spray?

I've never used that functionality. Call me dumb, but how do I check them? It's not glaringly obvious, or I'm on crack, one of the two.
check FAQs on top of the page. it has a lot of useful info.
Old 09-19-2002, 11:31 AM

Originally posted by pjonkheer
It also smells like candy, so I thought about drinking some one day!
Wet Tire smells like cherries