5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Steering wheel vibration

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2002, 03:00 PM

Steering wheel vibration

I get a vibration in my steering wheel during normal driving just before I come to a stop. It's definitely NOT the brakes/rotors, it's more like the torque converter or something in the tranny. Sometimes it'll sit and vibrate, like when coasting at 3-5mph until I either stop completely or hit the gas to accelerate. It's fairly annoying, but not bad enough where I think a dealer would be sympathetic. I've done a tranny flush (36K) and it was happening before that. I can make it go away if I put it in neutral as well.

So, here's my question. Is there any kind of way to test a torque converter? Or put a load on it or something to see if that's causing my vibro? I'm not very mechanical so laymans terms are appreciated. I'm assuming this is just something I'll be lucky enough to keep dealing with with no resolve, but I figure it's worth a shot to pick some brains of the guys that would know. Muchas gracias Maximus gods.
Old 09-18-2002, 05:42 PM

Re: Steering wheel vibration

Originally posted by MNMax
I get a vibration in my steering wheel during normal driving just before I come to a stop. It's definitely NOT the brakes/rotors, it's more like the torque converter or something in the tranny. Sometimes it'll sit and vibrate, like when coasting at 3-5mph until I either stop completely or hit the gas to accelerate. It's fairly annoying, but not bad enough where I think a dealer would be sympathetic. I've done a tranny flush (36K) and it was happening before that. I can make it go away if I put it in neutral as well.

So, here's my question. Is there any kind of way to test a torque converter? Or put a load on it or something to see if that's causing my vibro? I'm not very mechanical so laymans terms are appreciated. I'm assuming this is just something I'll be lucky enough to keep dealing with with no resolve, but I figure it's worth a shot to pick some brains of the guys that would know. Muchas gracias Maximus gods.
Ok we are not Maxima Gods, but sounds like you have common known problem, which can result from the following:

1. Not having the correct tire pressure on all tires
2. Not having all wheels balanced properly.
3.. Rotors warp and not know it. Going into a car wash warps rotors and you may not know.

and i might missed the rest, but if you are saying tranny? how can that cause your steering wheel to vibrate? check all your belts, if any is too loose they will vibrate. Your best bet is take it to a nissan dealer near to you and foget about testing torque converter thing..
Old 09-19-2002, 07:28 AM

Re: Re: Steering wheel vibration

Originally posted by Deven2kStickMax

Ok we are not Maxima Gods, but sounds like you have common known problem, which can result from the following:

1. Not having the correct tire pressure on all tires
2. Not having all wheels balanced properly.
3.. Rotors warp and not know it. Going into a car wash warps rotors and you may not know.

and i might missed the rest, but if you are saying tranny? how can that cause your steering wheel to vibrate? check all your belts, if any is too loose they will vibrate. Your best bet is take it to a nissan dealer near to you and foget about testing torque converter thing..

Hi,
Well, it doesn't seem like brakes/rotors because it vibros the steering wheel, like a buzz although it's not audible. It then goes away when the car shifts down to 1st like at a dead stop, or when I hit the gas to start going again, or it also goes away immediately if I throw it into neutral. It does it when I don't even have my foot on the brake. Say I'm in gridlock rush hour, and I'm going like 0 to 5mph, 0 to 5mph, it'll sometimes be stuck in buzz mode with no feet on gas or brake, then if I hit the brake to stop it stops, or if I hit the gas it stops. Other times it'll buzz/vibro every time I approach a stop sign when the car is downshifting, seems like it starts at about the last 15-10mph and then goes until complete stop. How bout motor mounts or something? I have no wobble in the brake pedal. Brand new tires too, with no shaking at 70mph. I'd compare it to like when you first start the car in the morning, and then you throw it into gear, do you get a buzz for several seconds in the steering wheel?? That's what I'm talking about....only more often.
Old 01-27-2003, 09:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a similar problem with my '98 Max SE. The vibration is evident at the very end of braking. With hard braking, there is no or very little vibration. My brakes and rotor are new and have been checked. My mechanic noticed some play in my left front wheel and said I should replace my tie rod. This according to him, was the cause of the problem. I would like to make sure before spending about $180 including an alignment.