5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

O2 Sensor Reprograming

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2002, 04:46 PM

O2 Sensor Reprograming

I have a 2001 SE with 66k miles on it. Yesterday the "Sevice Engine" light came on, so after researching all of the post, it looks like I might have a bad O2 sensor. Replacing it isn't an issue, but several people have mentioned that the ECU can be "reprogrammed" under the 60k warranty. Since its seems to be a re-occuring problem, is there a recall bulliten that covers this? Should the dealership cut me some slack with the mileage (6k over the 60k warranty) becasue I'm going to be really PO'd if I have to shell out money to have my car reprogramed.

Comments? Suggestions???

Thanks
Old 09-20-2002, 05:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

so u pulled the code and turned out to be O2 sensor failure? Does ur fuel economy go down recently? It maybe the ECU that needs reprogram but it is not under the warranty anymore. or it can be just the O2 sensor went byebye....that's 140 for parts.

and yes...I think there is a TSB for this one.
Old 09-20-2002, 06:02 PM

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]
so u pulled the code and turned out to be O2 sensor failure? Does ur fuel economy go down recently? It maybe the ECU that needs reprogram but it is not under the warranty anymore. or it can be just the O2 sensor went byebye....that's 140 for parts.

and yes...I think there is a TSB for this one.
I just had Auto Zone check the codes and it is 138 & 139; both point to the sensor before the converter. My mileage is about the same (25 mpg on 600 miles this past week), so I'm wondering if the sensor didn't like the Berrymans fuel additive that I put in last week. The code has been reset so I guess I'll know for sure in a week or so.

BTW, if a TSB has been issued, shouldn't Nissan reprogram my my ECU regardless of the mileage?????
Old 09-20-2002, 09:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by gt350mike

I just had Auto Zone check the codes and it is 138 & 139; both point to the sensor before the converter. My mileage is about the same (25 mpg on 600 miles this past week), so I'm wondering if the sensor didn't like the Berrymans fuel additive that I put in last week. The code has been reset so I guess I'll know for sure in a week or so.

BTW, if a TSB has been issued, shouldn't Nissan reprogram my my ECU regardless of the mileage?????
usually TSB will stated weather it is under 3yr/36k warranty or 6yr/60k warranty. I doubt this will be the engine and powertran warranty.

I think you should be fine if ur fuel economy is not affected. I think the cost of reprogramming ECU is 1 - 2 hours of labor.
Old 09-20-2002, 11:07 PM

Originally posted by gt350mike

I just had this done to my car on wednesday under warranty. I think you are out of luck tough. I had this covered under the emissions warranty which I think it's 5yr/50,000 miles. I had codes p0158 and p0159 which is mentioned in the TSB. Did you check the TSBs on the top of this forum. I think its the bottom one on page 2 not sure. A TSB is not a recall. Think of it as extra pages missing from a service manual that will aid the tech in correcting the problem. I would call DaveB and tell him about your situration. Reason I say this is because he might be able to tell which one it is. And you can buy it take it to the dealer. When I was asking about this at diffrent dealerships, I was quoted 70 dollars for initial inspection, then if they found anything qrong and you choose to have them fix it, the 70 dollars would go into part of the reapir bill. Say the total for everything it 140. The 70 dollars isn't added on top of the 140 is just included. Get it? I was going to do does because I was qouted around $300 total for parts and labor. I e-mailed other dealer for a qoute on labor for this procedure and one dealer left me a message that they wanted to talk to me because this should be covered under warranty. I hope your situtation is resolved soon. Just ask around first.