5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Any Advice Before Installing RSB?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2002, 03:21 AM

Any Advice Before Installing RSB?

Hey Everyone! My first post here, although it feels like I'm at home. I've been reading posts on this board for months, actually years, and never had the gumption to join.

Anyways, I'll hopefully going to be installing the Addco Rear Anti-Sway Bar on my I35 in the morning. Any particular problems I may run into or advice anyone can give before I start? Looking at all the parts and surveying beneath the car, I'm anticipating it taking about 30 minutes barring any unforeseen problems. Thanks!
Old 09-22-2002, 05:16 AM
john2002max

Re: Any Advice Before Installing RSB?

Originally posted by BlackI35
Hey Everyone! My first post here, although it feels like I'm at home. I've been reading posts on this board for months, actually years, and never had the gumption to join.

Anyways, I'll hopefully going to be installing the Addco Rear Anti-Sway Bar on my I35 in the morning. Any particular problems I may run into or advice anyone can give before I start? Looking at all the parts and surveying beneath the car, I'm anticipating it taking about 30 minutes barring any unforeseen problems. Thanks!
Great investment, It will make a huge difference in cornering. Very easy to install, just be careful to stay away from your brake lines!

John

Old 09-22-2002, 05:42 AM

From what I have heard, I would plan on spending more than 30 minutes doing this...
Old 09-22-2002, 06:40 AM
Very sound, Mike

Check the instructions and try to get the trailing arm portion up before doing or tigthening the rear beam portion. I've done it that way and the opposite way, this method makes installation so much easier and quicker without having to unbolt anything else.
Old 09-22-2002, 07:44 AM

Be prepaired for the huge smile that you will encounter after you take it out for a ride.
Old 09-22-2002, 08:26 AM

From the link with the instructions, posted by soundmike:

"Position the bracket appx 4.5-5" in from the curve of the RSB on each side."

Make sure to do this, if you position the brackets just before the curves of the bar you may here clanking when going over large bumps. Positioning them at least 4" in from the curves seems to eliminate this. When your under your car, you'll see why this is necessary; you can see that on one side (pass side?) the suspension may contact the bracket if it is placed to close to the bend.

Good luck out there. Also personally I found that placing the other two brackets (the ones on the end of the bars this time) about 1/2" from the end yeilds the best results. This is of course subjective...

I didn't notice any difference from moving the inner brackets in from the bends 5", except that horrible clanking noise going away!

Welcome to the .org
Old 09-22-2002, 08:27 AM

Originally posted by soundmike
Check the instructions and try to get the trailing arm portion up before doing or tigthening the rear beam portion. I've done it that way and the opposite way, this method makes installation so much easier and quicker without having to unbolt anything else.
I second that..
Old 09-22-2002, 01:04 PM

Just make sure you pull those bushings/u bolts on the axle at least 4.5 (I did 5) inches in from the curve. I tried 4 and I got the infamous clunking/banging sound on the passenger side.
Old 09-22-2002, 01:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Virus
Just make sure you pull those bushings/u bolts on the axle at least 4.5 (I did 5) inches in from the curve. I tried 4 and I got the infamous clunking/banging sound on the passenger side.
So what actually gives the best handling? With the bushings close to the ends of the bar or closer to the middle of the bar?
Old 09-22-2002, 04:06 PM

Closest to the end of the bar, but it's physically impossible. You will feel and here clunking to no end when going over small hills and dips in the road. You probably won't feel it going over speed bumps unless you go over them fast. Truthfully you won't notice any difference with them 5 inches in or at the bend performance wise.
Old 09-22-2002, 04:37 PM

Closest to the end of the bar, but it's physically impossible. You will feel and here clunking to no end when going over small hills and dips in the road. You probably won't feel it going over speed bumps unless you go over them fast. Truthfully you won't notice any difference with them 5 inches in or at the bend performance wise.
Ive got mine about an inch away from the bar with no noises whatsoever.
Old 09-22-2002, 05:35 PM

Is there a difference between the 2k and the 2k2? I had mine about an inch away and the clunking was very bad. I could move in no closer to the curve without it clunking as well. At 4.5 inches I had no problems, but decided to go 5 just to make sure.
Old 09-22-2002, 06:26 PM

Originally posted by Y2KSESteve

Great Mod!!! I love it... did take a bit longer than expected due to the fact that I had to go pick up an extended 14mm socket! All in all about an hour to install the RSB. However, I didn't heed everone's warning about moving the U Bolts/Bushings 4 1/2" - 5". I didn't jack up the car, and working underneath it didn't afford me the luxury of paying attention to that important detail. It didn't matter at first when I took the car out on my own, It stuck to the road like glue! Turns I usually hear screeching and feel the rear end swinging around, made me feel like I was planted on the ground, like it was on rails! It was Great!! After packing in 3 in the back and two in front, inevitability caught up with me! CLUNK CLUNK!! Anyways, I'm about to head back out in the sweltering heat... I think it's still about 100 degrees out, but at least it's a dry heat! hahaha... anyways, Wish me luck. Before I go, can anyone verify for me that I have the trail arm assembly proper... OK, I'll explain in order from the outside in... First I have the wheel, than the brake lines, than the "[" bolt and a base plate, than the trail arm, than the bushing on the bar which is sanwiched by the metal plate that cups the bushing, than washer and nuts. I hope that made sense. Thanks again for your help.
Old 09-22-2002, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by Y2KSESteve

You're talking about the bushings in the middle of the bar, right? Not the ones on the ends of the bar...

If you haven't noticed maybe your lucky. I would hear it when I hit really hard bumps, or the car was loaded with gear/people. Take a look under there sometime and look for scratches on the u-bolt, mine was scratched up after it was hit a few times.

If you don't see any, then there probably isn't any worry for you.
Old 09-22-2002, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by BlackI35

Great Mod!!! I love it... did take a bit longer than expected due to the fact that I had to go pick up an extended 14mm socket! All in all about an hour to install the RSB. However, I didn't heed everone's warning about moving the U Bolts/Bushings 4 1/2" - 5". I didn't jack up the car, and working underneath it didn't afford me the luxury of paying attention to that important detail. It didn't matter at first when I took the car out on my own, It stuck to the road like glue! Turns I usually hear screeching and feel the rear end swinging around, made me feel like I was planted on the ground, like it was on rails! It was Great!! After packing in 3 in the back and two in front, inevitability caught up with me! CLUNK CLUNK!! Anyways, I'm about to head back out in the sweltering heat... I think it's still about 100 degrees out, but at least it's a dry heat! hahaha... anyways, Wish me luck. Before I go, can anyone verify for me that I have the trail arm assembly proper... OK, I'll explain in order from the outside in... First I have the wheel, than the brake lines, than the "[" bolt and a base plate, than the trail arm, than the bushing on the bar which is sanwiched by the metal plate that cups the bushing, than washer and nuts. I hope that made sense. Thanks again for your help.
that sound right.... good luck..
Old 09-22-2002, 07:00 PM

Sounds correct. As long as you have the U bolt behind the brake line you should be ok.
Old 09-22-2002, 08:30 PM

Originally posted by soopermax02

You're talking about the bushings in the middle of the bar, right? Not the ones on the ends of the bar...

If you haven't noticed maybe your lucky. I would hear it when I hit really hard bumps, or the car was loaded with gear/people. Take a look under there sometime and look for scratches on the u-bolt, mine was scratched up after it was hit a few times.

If you don't see any, then there probably isn't any worry for you.
Yea its the bolts on teh long straight part of the bar. Im taking it off shortly because ill br dropping my car and I dont want it scraping. I think I'll have to get a stillen one....oh well. Thanks guys
Old 09-22-2002, 09:30 PM

You won't have to get the stillen RSB. I also have the trailing arms about an inch away from the end.
Old 09-22-2002, 09:37 PM

You won't have to get the stillen RSB. I also have the trailing arms about an inch away from the end.
I'm going with a 2" drop though and i usually have people with me. I've heard stories of people scraping with the addco and lowered. I dont really want that.
Old 09-23-2002, 11:57 PM

Originally posted by Max2000

that sound right.... good luck..
I hate to beat a dead horse, but I'm having 2nd thoughts about My install. I think I may have installed the bar at the trail arms incorrectly. Basically, after reading a few other posts/sites, I'm beginning to believe that I was supposed to sanwich one of the flat plates right up againts the bushing as opposed to putting it on the other side of the trail arm with this ---> [ shaped bracket... Currently the flat plate is right up against that bracket and that's against the outside of the trailarm. No weird noises, as of yet, but can I do damage to the trailarm keeping it like that? The flat bracket is now bent a bit, but nothing that can't be undone. I'm just concerned about the trailarm itself. Any help or "closeup" pics of the trailarm facing the wheel would be greatly appreciated... Thanks again!
Old 09-25-2002, 11:42 PM

BlackI35,

You do have the flat bracket on the wrong side. You should have the "C" bolt behind the brake line, against the trailing arm, then on the other side - the flat bracket, bushing, and then the bracket around the bushing.

If you view the link by SoundMike on the prior page you can see a close-up of the bracket. The photos on the left margin can be selected to zoom in on the photos.

RacerX
Old 09-26-2002, 12:57 AM

Originally posted by RacerX
BlackI35,

You do have the flat bracket on the wrong side. You should have the "C" bolt behind the brake line, against the trailing arm, then on the other side - the flat bracket, bushing, and then the bracket around the bushing.

If you view the link by SoundMike on the prior page you can see a close-up of the bracket. The photos on the left margin can be selected to zoom in on the photos.

RacerX
Thanks RacerX! I knew I did something wrong. Thanks for confirming it. Below is a pic of how it looks now. I'll be correcting it in the morning. Thanks again for confirming.

Old 09-26-2002, 02:47 AM

That's not a very good picture, but it looks like you definately have it on wrong. The U bolt need to go where your plate is and the plate needs to be against the bushing.
Old 09-28-2002, 11:30 PM

That's not a very good picture, but it looks like you definately have it on wrong. The U bolt need to go where your plate is and the plate needs to be against the bushing.
Just to reconfirm I did this right... here is what I had before:

and here is how it looks now:

It looks alot better now... Gone are the bent plates that were straddling the trail arm.

Thanks again, for everyone's help and advice!!!
Old 09-29-2002, 12:35 AM

It's on ok now.
Old 09-30-2002, 06:05 AM

That is correct.