5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Sh&t, F'n rotors may be going at 38K

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2002, 01:18 PM

Sh&t, F'n rotors may be going at 38K

I have an 00 SE Auto. I just turned 38K miles. I recently got a set of Dunlop SP/A2's cuz the Toyos (16"ers bought early in 00) were starting to hydroplane. Anyway, now I'm noticing when I nail the brakes when going like 40-50+mph that I get some pedal vibro feel and the steering wheel dances from side to side in a quick motion, traveling about 1/2 inch from center point in each direction. It's not crazy harsh, and it doesn't happen when I baby the brakes going slow around town, but it seems like it could be the notorious rotor prob on the 2000's starting to surface. I'm looking for feedback on the odds of any dealer being sympathetic or am I basically f'd because I just rolled past my 36K warranty?? I know there was a TSB for this. Maybe the tire shop overtourqed my lugs?? Hmmm, that's something to check...

Think Nissan will help? Rotors should NOT go this early!! Especially with my car because I BABY the brakes all the time and pretty much always have.
Old 09-23-2002, 01:21 PM

Re: Sh&t, F'n rotors may be going at 38K

Originally posted by MNMax
I have an 00 SE Auto. I just turned 38K miles. I recently got a set of Dunlop SP/A2's cuz the Toyos (16"ers bought early in 00) were starting to hydroplane. Anyway, now I'm noticing when I nail the brakes when going like 40-50+mph that I get some pedal vibro feel and the steering wheel dances from side to side in a quick motion, traveling about 1/2 inch from center point in each direction. It's not crazy harsh, and it doesn't happen when I baby the brakes going slow around town, but it seems like it could be the notorious rotor prob on the 2000's starting to surface. I'm looking for feedback on the odds of any dealer being sympathetic or am I basically f'd because I just rolled past my 36K warranty?? I know there was a TSB for this. Maybe the tire shop overtourqed my lugs?? Hmmm, that's something to check...

Think Nissan will help? Rotors should NOT go this early!! Especially with my car because I BABY the brakes all the time and pretty much always have.
Don't complain MNMam... I had to replace my rear pads and rotors at 17k, and now I am replacing my front pads and rotors at 21k. So urs lasted way longer then mine... but I do alot of torque braking and hard stops... that may explain things. Stillen x-drilleds all da way round!
Old 09-23-2002, 01:45 PM

You're complaining because your rotors are gone at 38k...? I get new rotors at all four corners every 30k miles, new pads every 15k miles. This is pretty much moderate city driving and occasionally highway commute. I make it a habit of truing the rotors in unison with new pads, so I'm basically truing them every 15k miles. Brakes are high on my list of maintenance items because let's face it, you trust your life to yours brakes and tires.

I have a mechanics discount so I can get generic rotors for $28 a piece with factory Nissan pads. IMO X-drilled rotors are not worth the money. I've tried Powerstop and Powerslot rotors with Axxis pads, porterfield pads all combos but have since reverted to generic rotors and Nissan pads. The aftermarket pads would not last as long as factory pads and brake dust was a bigger problem if you went that route. Braking performance wasn't affected much either, not enough to warrant spending more than 3x as much (not including shipping) for the aftermarket rotors. A more worthwhile upgrade would be stainless steel brake lines. Even with the cheap rotors there was much less fade with the SS lines. Unless you're going to autox your Max, I can't justify getting aftermarket rotors besides aesthetic purposes (they look cool and don't rust when plated).
Old 09-23-2002, 01:54 PM

Wow!, that seems quite extreme. Everybody I know with Camrys, Corollas, Accords, basically any other non-performance vehicle, doesn't get/need rotors for a solid 60K. I've heard of changing pads more often, but rotors??? No way, I ain't buyin it. I know I've heard people on this board say their 4th gens are going 80K on original brakes. Anybody backing me up???

What "generic" rotors are you talking about again?

What are the best bang for buck aftermarket/generic rotor? I certainly don't want the stockers if I need new ones.
Old 09-23-2002, 02:06 PM
CO2kmax

Go Stillen X drilled, matrix pads, and ss lines. That's what I have I love them, they are alot better than stock. The big difference I see is at high speeds. 100-60 very goooood

Old 09-23-2002, 02:11 PM

Originally posted by CO2kmax
Go Stillen X drilled, matrix pads, and ss lines. That's what I have I love them, they are alot better than stock. The big difference I see is at high speeds. 100-60 very goooood
PRICE?????

Did you buy the parts online and have a shop put it all together? Or do you do the work yourself? I wouldn't want to do myself, so looking for suggestions. At this point, I'm just going light on the brakes and hoping to milk them out for a while. What is the average cost to just re-true (shave/grind??) the stockers? Better off having dealer or someplace else do it?
Old 09-23-2002, 02:20 PM

Sure you could get 50k or even more but as you'll find out in some of my other posts, I'm big on replacing maintenance items like brake rotors. 40k is about the max optimum life of brake rotors for a Max that sees the kind of driving I do. I live in a hilly areas and drive my Max like a *****.
Old 09-23-2002, 02:23 PM

Originally posted by BoosttotheMax
Sure you could get 50k or even more but as you'll find out in some of my other posts, I'm big on replacing maintenance items like brake rotors. 40k is about the max optimum life of brake rotors for a Max that sees the kind of driving I do. I live in a hilly areas and drive my Max like a *****.
Do you do the work yourself or pay to get it done? How much can one expect to pay for labor if I buy the rotors and pads myself online?
Old 09-23-2002, 02:24 PM

I used to buy Powerstop Xdrilled rotors from OptAuto.com. They were the best prices I could find on the net, maybe someone knows of a better dealer? But they were $100+ for the fronts. I remember it costing me $430 with shipping for only four rotors, no pads. Nowadays, I can replace all four rotors and pads for only $190. I buy from a local auto store chain called Foreign Auto Parts. They have a bunch of stores around New England, don't know about your whereabouts.
Old 09-23-2002, 02:25 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

PRICE?????

Did you buy the parts online and have a shop put it all together? Or do you do the work yourself? I wouldn't want to do myself, so looking for suggestions. At this point, I'm just going light on the brakes and hoping to milk them out for a while. What is the average cost to just re-true (shave/grind??) the stockers? Better off having dealer or someplace else do it?
You can get 4 Stilled X drilled rotors, Matrix pads, SS lines, and Motul fluid for $575 here :eatricezone.com

I've had the stockers resurfaced 3x's, the judder came back. Others have had them replaced, yes the judder came back. The stock rotors are garbage!
Old 09-23-2002, 02:26 PM

Originally posted by BoosttotheMax
I used to buy Powerstop Xdrilled rotors from OptAuto.com. They were the best prices I could find on the net, maybe someone knows of a better dealer? But they were $100+ for the fronts. I remember it costing me $430 with shipping for only four rotors, no pads. Nowadays, I can replace all four rotors and pads for only $190. I buy from a local auto store chain called Foreign Auto Parts. They have a bunch of stores around New England, don't know about your whereabouts.

You say you can replace them for $190. Does that mean parts only? What about the labor? You put them on yourself?
Old 09-23-2002, 02:26 PM

I do the work myself, it's pretty straight-forward. All you need is a jack, lug-wrench and 10mm wrench to remove the calipers I think. For a shop to do it, they should bill you for only 1 hour, so $35-50 depending on your mechanic. Hope this helps.
Old 09-23-2002, 04:06 PM

Wow!, that seems quite extreme. Everybody I know with Camrys, Corollas, Accords, basically any other non-performance vehicle, doesn't get/need rotors for a solid 60K. I've heard of changing pads more often, but rotors??? No way, I ain't buyin it. I know I've heard people on this board say their 4th gens are going 80K on original brakes. Anybody backing me up???

What "generic" rotors are you talking about again?

What are the best bang for buck aftermarket/generic rotor? I certainly don't want the stockers if I need new ones.
Check out www.nopi.com they have Brembo blanks at $31 for fronts and $38 for rears plus shipping. Best price I have seen!
Old 09-23-2002, 04:26 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

couldnt find maxima rotors on nopi :/ at least not 2k+
Old 09-23-2002, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by TimW
couldnt find maxima rotors on nopi :/ at least not 2k+
I have a 97 for which they have rotors. I didn't pay attention to the year of the max in the post. Sorry
Old 09-23-2002, 07:46 PM
CO2kmax

If u change them your self make sure u have a big C clamp, and the special tool to srew in the rear calipers. I forgot what the tool is called. It is fairley easy, hardest part would be to bleed them. If you can get to an air compressor get a power bleeder, makes the job very easy. Good luck