5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Sell me on the Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2000, 06:52 PM

Looking to buy a new car, here are my requirements :

4 doors with a backseat usable by adult males
Manual Transmission
6+ Cylinder
Sunroof
Sporty/Quick

Surprisingly, the Maxima has little competition when you talk about 6 cylinder sedans that have a manual transmission as an option. Rather than tell you what other cars I am considering (I am sure you know which ones they are anyway), I would just like to hear why you guys bought your Maximas.

I was also Shooting for the Merlot color, but cant find it anywhere and a 90 day wait seems too long. What are you opinions on Sterling Mist? I dont want to drive a "chick" car, how masculine is Sterling Mist? It passed my test, but I want other opinions.

Already dreaming of intake/exhaust/superchargers.......

Old 12-20-2000, 06:58 PM

$$$$$$$$$$$$

How much do you want to spend? that's the key question
Old 12-20-2000, 07:07 PM

Yeah, how much $$$?

If you are looking for something in the 20's the maxima offers everything you want.
But so does the Passat (the maximas next best competition). The maxima beats the Passat because:

Its quicker,
Its more reliable,
It looks bette, in my opinion,
It is wider (The passat is by no means wide),
It has a much better stereo,
It has more room,
and it is more ergonomically correct.

I also hated the fact that the leather is hard as hell in the passat.

If your in the market for a car in the 30's, go BMW.

I think the maxima is a perfect enthusiast car, and it should be in your garage.

Get a loaded 2K1 SE.
Old 12-20-2000, 07:24 PM

I may be biased

but I think the sterling mist is awesome and it's pretty easy to keep clean. I got a 2001 SE and love everything about it. The maxima also meets all of your requirements with flying colors. i couldn't hold out for a 5 speed (60 day wait ?) so I succumbed and got an auto. I would have waited for the 5 speed if I had gotten a definite date. You cannot order a Maxima, they can only check what is coming into the area and divert it to your dealer. I got mine through priceline after researching it and looking around for 2 months. Put in a lowball bid and see what happens.
Good luck--Gregg
Old 12-20-2000, 08:34 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

My Max is in Sterling Mist and I straight up luv it. Im compeltely satisfied with this choice. It looks like one of the easiest to maintain as well. In regards to masculinity....trust me, it's not even an issue.
Old 12-20-2000, 08:35 PM

Re: I may be biased

Originally posted by greggmax
You cannot order a Maxima, they can only check what is coming into the area and divert it to your dealer.
Gregg - The dealer in my area told me that I [/B]CAN[/B] order a Maxima, but it would be a 3 month wait if I ordered it in January, which I am planning on doing. Where did you get the info that you can't order one? Just wondering if the dealer is BS'ing me...

Thanks, Mike
Old 12-20-2000, 09:45 PM

Re: Re: I may be biased

Why buy a maxima... cuz they are super fast, super cool, and super sexy...

btw... the sterling mist is my fav. maxima color... and is more manly than a stock jetta in ANY color!!!

I test drove a whole bunch of v6 sedans before finally buying the max... First one was the camry... which was ok, but 45 min later, I got totally blown away by the maxima (second test drive).. I also did the accord, saturn, and a whole bunch of american crap... after everything, there was no doubt left in my mind... Maxima = best bang for your buck!!

I suggest a test drive...!!!

-Tom

PS.. 3 months waiting period seems unimaginable to me living here on the east coast (nissan dealers everywhere).. Funny story.. I went price shopping (after finally deciding on a Maxima), and at one of the dealers I said:

"So you've got these 4 maxima's for sale?.." (he had 3 outside, and 1 in the showroom)

He said "Yup"

Testing him, I said "But what if I wanted a Sterling Mist w/ cloth, c&c package, 17" rims, and no traction? how long would that take to get here?

He said "5 min"

I said "???"

He's like.. ya.. come with me, and you could pick out your car..

I hopped into a car with him, and drove like 3 min out back, to a huge lot, with thousands of Maxima's.. (yes Thousands!!!)... I would imagine he had several maximas for every possible color/option combination out there.. !!!

Even more so.. at one point I asked if he could ever possibly sell all of those maximas...

He said... ya, they'll all be gone within 3 months..!!! We sell X number of maximas per day (i forget the number, but it was BIG)...

Oh well... anyway, good luck getting your dream car..

-Tom

Originally posted by mjb2123
You cannot order a Maxima, they can only check what is coming into the area and divert it to your dealer.
Gregg - The dealer in my area told me that I [/B]CAN[/B] order a Maxima, but it would be a 3 month wait if I ordered it in January, which I am planning on doing. Where did you get the info that you can't order one? Just wondering if the dealer is BS'ing me...

Thanks, Mike
Old 12-21-2000, 12:28 AM

Maxima downfalls:

Trannys suck... ive had 3 maximas... 3rd gen 4th gen and my dad has a 5th... EVERY ONE has had transmission problems...

Power windows blow... both the 3rd and the 4th have slow and breaking power windows after periods of time... the 5th hasent started but im sure will.

Suspension starts off good... and ends up crappy and bouncy.. i know its the shocks but the car rode like brand new at 30k when i bought it.. now its hard as hell.

The rattles are UNBEEARABLE... at least all gens but 5th.. hasnt had time to become bad i assume
Old 12-21-2000, 12:43 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Power windows? Rattles?

Originally posted by MaxiPad96
Maxima downfalls:

Trannys suck... ive had 3 maximas... 3rd gen 4th gen and my dad has a 5th... EVERY ONE has had transmission problems...

Power windows blow... both the 3rd and the 4th have slow and breaking power windows after periods of time... the 5th hasent started but im sure will.

Suspension starts off good... and ends up crappy and bouncy.. i know its the shocks but the car rode like brand new at 30k when i bought it.. now its hard as hell.

The rattles are UNBEEARABLE... at least all gens but 5th.. hasnt had time to become bad i assume
wait till you see what goes on in <b>HONDA</b> cars before you talk about Maximas...hehe

all of my friends drive Hondas/Acuras. i don't think their window motor lasted more than 25,000 miles....and the rattles? geez...don't even..

i mean, i know these defect rates are different among cars...but i think for Hondas, these things go out fairly often....compared to Nissans and Toyotas...

-peace

Old 12-21-2000, 04:20 AM

Originally posted by 2MaxOrNot2Max

Manual Transmission
6+ Cylinder
Sunroof
Sporty/Quick

Surprisingly, the Maxima has little competition when you talk about 6 cylinder sedans that have a manual transmission as an option. Rather than tell you what other cars I am considering (I am sure you know which ones they are anyway), I would just like to hear why you guys bought your Maximas.

I was also Shooting for the Merlot color, but cant find it anywhere and a 90 day wait seems too long. What are you opinions on Sterling Mist? I dont want to drive a "chick" car, how masculine is Sterling Mist? It passed my test, but I want other opinions.

Once you specify the V6 stick you end up with three choices, VW, Camry, Chrysler and Maxima. VW leads the industry in warranty claims - yeah, they fix them, but the aggro. Chrysler - well it ain't Japanese quality. Between the Camry and Maxima - Camry is pretty equivalent, it does have a real rear suspension, but not very sporty, sterile interior, and I found it uncomfortable. Everything is a compromise. If you go over $30k the choices widen a lot.

Dave
Old 12-21-2000, 06:49 AM

The Maxima has a lot more standard features... (from what i remember), and is significantly more powerful (stock)...

Originally posted by wdave

Manual Transmission
6+ Cylinder
Sunroof
Sporty/Quick

Once you specify the V6 stick you end up with three choices, VW, Camry, Chrysler and Maxima. VW leads the industry in warranty claims - yeah, they fix them, but the aggro. Chrysler - well it ain't Japanese quality. Between the Camry and Maxima - Camry is pretty equivalent, it does have a real rear suspension, but not very sporty, sterile interior, and I found it uncomfortable. Everything is a compromise. If you go over $30k the choices widen a lot.

Dave
Old 12-21-2000, 07:24 AM
Got Bent?

Did you go test drive any of the cars you are considering? I would suggest that first before anything. A lot of the selling points of the Maxima would be apparant then.
Old 12-21-2000, 07:30 AM

The power difference is only 11% - both cars have plenty of power to get you into trouble. Price for price the equipment ends up being pretty similar, although the Camry is short on flashy gizmos.
Old 12-21-2000, 07:35 AM

Make sure you testdrive both the SE (sporty maxima, with sports tuned suspension), and either the GXE or GLE..

The different suspension give the SE a more "connected" feeling with the road.. (you'll see what I mean when you compare) I like it.!!!

-Tom

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE
Did you go test drive any of the cars you are considering? I would suggest that first before anything. A lot of the selling points of the Maxima would be apparant then.
Old 12-21-2000, 07:39 AM

Agreed... but if you look at it that way.. the metro, or a damn kia has enough power to get you into trouble..

why pay the same amount of $$$ for less (unless you particularly LIKE the camry over the Maxima... although I can't seem to find many pro's going for the camry.. xcept for maybe suspension....)

-Tom

The power difference is only 11% - both cars have plenty of power to get you into trouble. Price for price the equipment ends up being pretty similar, although the Camry is short on flashy gizmos.
Old 12-21-2000, 08:24 AM
zsteve

I bought my Sterling Mist A.E. in September and I still like it as much as the day I bought it! My requirements for a car were identical to yours. My first choice was an Audi S4 - but I decided it was just too much money. If money is not an issue, I think you have to consider all the European makes - Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Saab, Volvo, etc... In the end, the Maxima made the most sense to me - lots of sport, lots of room for the family, and a resonable price. As for the Sterling Mist color, it wasn't my first choice. I would rather have gotten an A.E. in the exclusive "Majestic Blue" color. I still haven't seen one in person in that color, whereas it seems every other Max I see is Sterling Mist - nice color, just a little too common for me.

Old 12-21-2000, 08:28 AM

Re: Re: I may be biased

Originally posted by mjb2123

Thanks, Mike
Mike:
I also frequent the edmunds.com board and there is a very knowledgable Nissan tech that answers a lot of questions. He was adamant that the dealer cannot order the car for you, they can only search incoming shipments and have a car diverted ot your dealer. i was told that I could order also, but I waited and waited and they could not even tell me if it was in the pipeline. I wanted a 2001 SE, sterling mist 5 speed with C&C only. Finally I broke down and took an auto.

If you are looking for a 5 speed in a specific color that is not loaded, you will probably have a tough time and a long wait.

BTW, the sterling mist also contrasts well with the blacked out taillights on the SE. The blacked out lights are not as noticeable on darker colors. Why do you think the sterling mist is a chick color?
Gregg
Old 12-21-2000, 09:55 AM

The biggest thing for the Max is the options it has for the price. U can't just walk to a toyota dealer and find a V6 camry Stick waiting for U. A Maxima SE in a stick Combo is not very hard to find, around the southeast they are dime a dozen. pritty much every dealer has em. As far as what options U want, can't be ordered from Nissan, U can call around your local nissan dealers and see what they have and have it shiped to a local dealer or if U R like me just drive up there and get it yourself. Sterling Mist is a fine color, Forget the color, THE MAXIMA IS ALL ABOUT MACHO MEN, Nothing about the Maxima Shouts WIMP, Even a Pritty girl behind the wheel of a Maxima and Nissan power under the hood thinks she can take over the world

As far as power windows blowing Boy thats the first time I'm hearing this. Tranny problems, I can understand. I've had a 95 Max SE Auto, Had a 96GLE Auto, 95SE Stick, and now my 2K and I've had no Mechanical problems on my car, I maintain them myself and only take it to dealer for allignments, Or break job for my 2K since its under warranty. Every car has issues every now and then but that doesn't make it a failure. Don't let 1 persons problem ditter U from getting the car.

For 30K and below the Max is pritty much a top contender based on what U said U were looking for in a car. Above 35K then the europian market starts to play in a factor so its yourcall.
Old 12-21-2000, 10:17 AM

Sterling Mist is a super low maintenence color. I can go two weeks without a wash and my Max still looks clean. It buffs out to a nice metallic shineand if won't show any white flake marks from wax. I've had "silver" colored cars before. They don't show dirt, scrathes or swirl marks from too many car washes, and they stay cool in the heat.
Old 12-21-2000, 10:49 AM

Thanks!

I appreciate all the responses. I was looking for a car costing <$32,000. I will never buy a BMW or a Mercedes, for stupid reasons only. I know they must be great cars, but too many people buying them for status only and I dont want to be associated with that crowd. An Audi S4 is an awesome driving machine, but the back seat is much smaller than in the Maxima. Truly, I am torn between what would be the most fun to drive and what is the most practical and can seat people comfortably on a long trip.....the compromise led me to the Maxima. I have already driven a 2001 SE with a 5 SPD, enjoyed it although I didnt push it too hard. Also drove the Passat, Camry, 300M, and an Acura. I decided I will not compromise on the need for a manual transmission.

The Nissan dealer I spoke with said I COULD order from the factory but they could not guarantee that it would be made (Nissan might not make the time for special orders). The 5 SPDs are fairly rare, with only 11 total cars (1 black, 5 white, 4 Sterling Mist, and 1 Merlot at a dealer that didnt trade) in the 7 state region which the dealer trades with (I am in Austin, TX).

I do like Volkswagens, they are more unique than Japanese cars and have some neat little features and quirks. However, my Mom has a Passat Wagon and my brother has a new GTI 1.8T, so I gotta get something unique an different.

Thanks again for the replies......

Old 12-21-2000, 12:50 PM

You Were Right About One Thing!

Manual Transmission
6+ Cylinder
Sunroof
Sporty/Quick

That thing is that there is no competition in its class that comes close. What more can you ask for out of a family sedan that has the power and looks to "Kill". One word of advice though on color, do not buy BLACK. The time and dedication it takes to up keep it is a bit too much. If you don't love cleaning, waxing, etc. don't get black. BTW there is a ton of info on this site about the car as well as in the popular magazines.
Old 12-21-2000, 07:04 PM

Re: You Were Right About One Thing!

Originally posted by CIRCO
[snipped] One word of advice though on color, do not buy BLACK. The time and dedication it takes to up keep it is a bit too much. If you don't love cleaning, waxing, etc. don't get black. BTW there is a ton of info on this site about the car as well as in the popular magazines. [/I]
Hey, Circo.. I was kicking myself for a while after buying the super black. I swear I was taking it to the car wash twice a week.

After the last time I had my car detailed, I got Meguiar's Final Step and coated the car with it. Every now & then after getting my car washed, I spray it on again. It takes less than 3 minutes to do the whole car and makes it shine.

It doesn't rain much in SoCali, but it does get dusty, so every morning while the car warms up, I take my California Duster out of the trunk and quickly run it over the car to get the dust and dirt off. Car looks like it was just washed for 2-3 weeks without actually washing it. With the Meguiar's even if it does rain, it usually doesn't spot too noticeably so I can still get by with just the duster.

Old 12-22-2000, 07:22 AM

Go with the Maxima!!! You won't be sorry!!

This is my second maxima (1st was a 96' SE 5-speed and oh how I miss my 5-speed)and I love them. They are very reliable, quick (especially after you do a few mods), and look great (I've gotten more compliments on my 5th gen maxima than any other car I've owned)!! Definitely go with the 5-speed!! (I made the mistake of letting my wife persuade me into getting and automatic, thus the addition of the supercharger to compensate.) Good luck in your search.
Old 12-22-2000, 08:02 AM
THosie

Re: Re: Re: I may be biased

Originally posted by tomz17
Why buy a maxima... cuz they are super fast, super cool, and super sexy...
one? Just wondering if the dealer is BS'ing me...

Thanks, Mike
[/I][/QUOTE]
What dealer is this?????????????????????????
the super Nissan Dealer?

Old 12-22-2000, 02:52 PM

Originally posted by tomz17
Agreed... but if you look at it that way.. the metro, or a damn kia has enough power to get you into trouble..

why pay the same amount of $$$ for less (unless you particularly LIKE the camry over the Maxima... although I can't seem to find many pro's going for the camry.. xcept for maybe suspension....)

-Tom

I have to agree. I can't imagine anyone having lustful thoughts about a Camry. Test drove one myself and...I couldn't get over the looks of the car. It is absolutely one of the ugliest new cars on the road inside and out. (Except for maybe the Grand Am?? Hmmm?) Everything about the Camry is just so cold and refrigerator-like...I hated it! The rear styling looks like something from 1984 and the car has no style..Just look at the C-pillar!