5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2002, 09:38 AM

Extended Warranty

I have a 2002 SE (not modded in any way, but plan to in the near future). Have most people gone with an extended warranty or is the Max a pretty solid car. (I have no prior experience with Nissan cars) If you have gone with the extended warranty, which one did you get. I have about 24,000 and at the rate I put miles on, 30k will be here in no time. All replies are appreciated.........
Old 10-01-2002, 09:45 AM
It's chrome alright...

Re: Extended Warranty

I've had 2 extended warranties, one on a honda that was a waste of money... they just don't break. The other was on a ford f-150. I told the dealer I felt a buzz in the transmission and got a new one, so I guess that one paid for itself.

There are plenty of Maximas with 150k miles... how long do you plan to own the car? How many miles will you put on it during that time? Will the extended warranty run out before you plan to sell? How much is it? Is it limited to the dealer who supplies the extended warranty (some limit where you can go for repairs)? Will modding void the extended warranty? Exactly what's covered?

these are all things you should find out first. Personally I think it's a waste of money (there wasn't really anything wrong with the ford tranny, I got a new one because I was selling it to a friend and he wanted it).

Originally posted by nfisher50
I have a 2002 SE (not modded in any way, but plan to in the near future). Have most people gone with an extended warranty or is the Max a pretty solid car. (I have no prior experience with Nissan cars) If you have gone with the extended warranty, which one did you get. I have about 24,000 and at the rate I put miles on, 30k will be here in no time. All replies are appreciated.........
Old 10-01-2002, 10:18 AM

I have a 2k2 max se and I got the nissan security plus gold 5year/100,000mile for around $1100.00 cause I usually put a lot of miles on my cars. If you get the extended warranty through nissan check the prices first cause sometimes it is cheaper if you buy it before or after your car has 36,000 miles on it. just check with the F&I dept at any nissan dealership. I think there is a phone number on nissandriven.com website too for nissan security plus extended warranties, you can check with them too.

I purchased a nissan security plus gold for my 1998 max se and when I traded my car in for my 2002, I got back almost the full amount I paid for the extended warranty when I called and had it cancelled. I think I paid $1270.00 and I got back $1200.

so....if you buy one and want to get rid of your car before you used up your warranty you can cancel it and get your money back at a pro-rated figure.

another benefit of having the extended warranty is you get a loaner car no matter what the deal is. some dealerships won't give you a loaner if you have the factory warranty only.

From my experience with nissan they last a long time mechanically (example cars with over 100,000 miles) but if you have an electrical part that goes bad and you don't have a warranty it will be really expensive. for example if you had a power window motor go out.

just my 2 cents..
Old 10-01-2002, 10:59 AM

well, I didn't consider all of those things, so thanks because I was a little clueless.

Anyone deal with on-line extended warranties. I have a friend that works for a dealership and he says that they are more hastle than they are worth.
Old 10-01-2002, 02:17 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If you decide to go with the Nissan Extended Warranty go in on the last day of the month and see the Finance guy. There is a ton of markup and they will deal at the right time of the month. The 7 yr 100k extended warranty on my daughter's Altima GLE has a msrp of almost $1500 and we got it for around $600. I used to work at the dealership and they sold at to us at cost, so you can see they have room to negotiate.
Old 10-03-2002, 06:41 PM

Take it from me, I have to deal with extended warrantys everyday. STAY AWAY from on-line warranty co. They are not worth the paper they are printed on. If you get one get it from the dealer and try to get a low deductible if you can afford it.
Old 10-04-2002, 01:43 PM

I got the 5 yr/75k security gold plan for mine. I was told (I've been too lazy to look this up for sure) if you don't use it, they'll refund you the money.. which was a big selling point for me. You may want to (and I will) look that up just to be sure.
Old 10-04-2002, 01:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Extended Warranty

Originally posted by nfisher50

Based on all the problems every member in here has had with their max, I would definitely get a long term warranty