5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Dealership Dilema's: 1. Faint Check Engine Light. 2. Radio (long).

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2002, 01:25 PM

Dealership Dilema's: 1. Faint Check Engine Light. 2. Radio (long).

So I took my car (2k2 SE) in to finally have my Faintly lit "Check Engine Light" looked at. (I was gonna leave well enough alone but at night with the moon roof closed and my window tint, it shines rather bright.)

I take it in a few weeks back (for general service) and when I tell them about the light they say they cant see it. So I bring it back (again!) and say, "Look, dont gimme this car back until you see it, cause its friggin there!". So they call me back and say after practically building a "canopy" over the guague cluster they can finally see it!

So they say, we gotta order you a whole new guage cluster but we gotta keep your car for a few days cause Nissan sets the odometer before it gets sent. So I say fine.

I'm not sure if anyone has experienced this problem but my front driver door speaker was sounding very muffled lately, I ask them to check and they say the left output frequency thing is shot and I need a whole new radio. I say ok, whatever, but the kicker is, the radios come from California (I'm in NJ) and they say the radio will take a few weeks to get here. So I say WTF, I gotta bring the car back again when the radio comes in!! What a major PITA!!

(Just thought I'd share this story with everyone to see if anyone else experienced something similar).
Thanks...
Old 10-01-2002, 01:29 PM

Re: Dealership Dilema's: 1. Faint Check Engine Light. 2. Radio (long).

im experiencing the EXACT same problems that you are right now.

my left side tweeter keeps cutting out, and i have a faint CEL. but im so friggin hesitatnt to take it back to the crappy dealer....
Old 10-01-2002, 01:41 PM

I'll let you know how it turns out.

My left speaker doesnt "cut out" per say butr that could be a similar problem. If you put the balance and fader all the way to that speaker (especially while playing CDs), the sound is really muffled and distorded, and when I switch the balance and fader back to the front right its fine. I thought it was a blown speaker but they are telling me its the head unit. Hopefully thats it, I just want it fixed. Im having to many little bull**** problems for a brand new $30K car...
Old 10-01-2002, 02:05 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

someone mentioned in a previous thread that their dealer thought the left side cutout on the speakers could be caused by the amp, and ordered them a new one. I'm not too sure of that, seeing as when mine cut out, I normally smack the front of the HU enough to get it going again.. I do not recommend this though, as the other day I 'smacked it too hard' and broke the face.. now the LCD is broken, and I don't know what radio station I'm listening to, and I have to go by my memory to find the menus for changing bass, treble, etc..

I'm currently on my 3rd blowse head unit in this car, and this time I've figured f' it, I'm just going to replace it with a better aftermarket when I get back from hawaii..
Old 10-01-2002, 02:11 PM

I hope I dont have to go thru that many HU's!!

Do you know if there are any TSBs on this???
Old 10-01-2002, 04:35 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

For the HU, i will confirm that its not the BOSE wireing as i am using the wires for my aftermarket stereo

As for the dimly lit, mine has always been dim, but lately its been flickering..

Nissan dealerships are not fixsing it, because they are dumb..

ED
Old 10-01-2002, 04:44 PM

Re: Dealership Dilema's: 1. Faint Check Engine Light. 2. Radio (long).

I feel your pain when I took my car in for a cracked sun roof wind deflector, rattling in cabin mirror and some weird noise when opening my window. They told me that the mirror rattle is normal, the window acts this way cause of my tints and the wind deflector is on back order. I was like WTF I have to drive for 30 min to my dealer cause the dealre by my house said that if I want any repairs on non engine or trans related parts I have to go to the dealer I purchased my car at. I think that this is bunch of BS and seriously considering calling the nissan 800 number.