5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Wanna Fix that really long/high clutch pedal???

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2002, 12:36 PM

Wanna Fix that really long/high clutch pedal???

New Mod!!
I have been hating the long travel on my 2k2 clutch eversince since I got it. The mechanic at my job didn't like it either so together we set out to find a way to lower the pedal hight.
Here's what we figured out:
1. there's a lot of play in there/even before depressing the pedal causes any movement at all at the transmission.
2. You can safely depress the clutch until it is even with the brake pedal and still leave room to depress further without effecting the clutch.
What did we do:
1. Determined the amount of travel required at the upper stop/switch where the pedal arm contacts the switch (about 1/2"). This moves the pedal down twoard the floorboard about 2" or even with the brake pedal.
2. Epoxyed a 1/2" thick piece of plastic to the clutch pedal/arm at the contact point.
The travel is AWSOME. Engages right before travel stops--just like it should. Also feels heavier, just my imagination??
Old 10-03-2002, 12:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

pics please
Old 10-03-2002, 01:33 PM

Re: Wanna Fix that really long/high clutch pedal???

Originally posted by buzek
1. there's a lot of play in there/even before depressing the pedal causes any movement at all at the transmission.
2. You can safely depress the clutch until it is even with the brake pedal and still leave room to depress further without effecting the clutch.
How did you determine there is no movement in the transmission? How do you know you are not pressing the diaphragm spring? You could be pushing the spring, but just not enough to disengage the clutch plate, resulting in less pressure on the clutch and it will slip much easier. Then you are driving like grandma and riding the clutch 24/7, wearing it down very quickly.
Old 10-03-2002, 01:39 PM

Re: Re: Wanna Fix that really long/high clutch pedal???

Originally posted by Kojiro_FtT

How did you determine there is no movement in the transmission? How do you know you are not pressing the diaphragm spring? You could be pushing the spring, but just not enough to disengage the clutch plate, resulting in less pressure on the clutch and it will slip much easier. Then you are driving like grandma and riding the clutch 24/7, wearing it down very quickly.
We made a judgement call that if you cant see the lever on the top of the transmission move and the pedal is still higher then the earliest point that the clutch engages and there is no slippiage then Nissan probably built in a certian amount because of all the grandmas out there.
Old 10-03-2002, 01:42 PM

Re: Re: Re: Wanna Fix that really long/high clutch pedal???

Originally posted by buzek

We made a judgement call that if you cant see the lever on the top of the transmission move and the pedal is still higher then the earliest point that the clutch engages and there is no slippiage then Nissan probably built in a certian amount because of all the grandmas out there.
Ok, give us updates to let us know how it turns out.
Old 10-03-2002, 03:01 PM
I miss the .org!

Yes, pics are definitely needed!
If this mod pans out, you could be a pioneer!
Old 10-03-2002, 03:13 PM

Why do you want the clutch to engage so low?
You can easily adjust the engagement point using the factory adjustment.
I do not see the advantage of the spacer?
Old 10-05-2002, 04:19 AM

No workie!!

Originally posted by Triple8Sol
Yes, pics are definitely needed!
If this mod pans out, you could be a pioneer!
Update:
The thing worked great until it got up to operating temp. Then I guess the hydrolic (sic) fluid must expand due to heating or some other part of the mech. at least. Because after that point I began to experience some slippage.
It was worth a try though. Man did it make it easier to shift quick with it adjusted that way. I spoke with my tech and he says since it's its hyd. there really isn't any external adj.
Sorry guys/gals
Old 10-05-2002, 05:33 AM

There is an adjustment for pedal position, but if you adjust too high clutch will slip or too low and it will not disengage clutch.
The adjustment on all generations is under the dash as the pedal actuator goes thru the firewall