5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

SUbs in My 2001 GXE

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2002, 07:04 PM

SUbs in My 2001 GXE

I want to hook a system up to my 2001 Maxima GXE, actually a friend will be doing it for me. But i was wondering what i will need in order to wire them to my Non-Bose Stock Deck... I need a wiring diagram for the stock deck, and will there be any problems that i should be aware of or if there are any snags that people generally run into when hooking up a system...
Old 10-04-2002, 07:43 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Re: SUbs in My 2001 GXE

Originally posted by PHATMAN5050
I want to hook a system up to my 2001 Maxima GXE, actually a friend will be doing it for me. But i was wondering what i will need in order to wire them to my Non-Bose Stock Deck... I need a wiring diagram for the stock deck, and will there be any problems that i should be aware of or if there are any snags that people generally run into when hooking up a system...
You need a line out converter. That's it. Pretty straight forward, although I don't know the wiring diagram off hand.
Old 10-04-2002, 07:44 PM

ok so an rca line out converter.... anything else, know where i can pick up a wiring diagram online?
Old 10-04-2002, 07:49 PM

You might as well buy a new deck bc its gonna eventually burn out, we got some ****ty decks in our cars.
Old 10-04-2002, 08:04 PM

Originally posted by BLaZin 2k MaX
You might as well buy a new deck bc its gonna eventually burn out, we got some ****ty decks in our cars.
Not everyone wants an aftermarket deck and a crappy dash kit. I like the stealth look of my stock deck and refuse to put an aftermarket one in there.

According to my Haynes manual (which does not show 00-01 models), this is the following for 95-99:

RF: + Brown, - Brown/White
LF: + Blue/White, - Blue/Yellow
RR: + Blue, - Pink
RF: + Red, - Green

You should also be able to test them once you get in there. The four wires are generally grouped together and you can test which one is which by taking a battery of any size and putting the + wire and - wire against the respective terminals. It will "pop" in phase with the correct speaker. This is also a great way to test whether or not you have your positives and negatives mixed up. Speakers will pop out when they are wired correctly. The will pop inward if they are out of phase.

Hopefully they kept the 4th and 5th gen colors the same.
Old 10-04-2002, 08:11 PM

Someone posted a link with all the wiring colors for all gens. I couldnt find it but its out there. Link anyone??
Old 10-05-2002, 12:00 AM

How does one remove the stock deck? Do we need special radio keys?
Old 10-05-2002, 07:04 PM
PoweredbyNissan

why does he need a rca converter? I mean can't he just hook it up directly to his amp if he got the speaker level inputs on his amp? And people say the rca converter gives a better sound quality, is that really true or just marketing tricks?

Old 10-05-2002, 10:36 PM

Originally posted by PoweredbyNissan
why does he need a rca converter? I mean can't he just hook it up directly to his amp if he got the speaker level inputs on his amp? And people say the rca converter gives a better sound quality, is that really true or just marketing tricks?
How would he hook it up directly to his amp? The only way he can do that is if he has hi level inputs on his amp.

Most amps have low level inputs, though (RCA inputs). You need to convert the hi level deck output (speaker leads) to low level (RCA amp leads). If you just crimp on RCA jacks to speaker wires that are coming from the deck and plug them in your amp, you will fry the bloody **** out of it.

Line level converters do not improve sound quality. They actually add distortion. But it is your only option if you have a deck without preamp outputs (ie: stock deck).
Old 10-06-2002, 04:24 AM
Old Timer

Originally posted by PHATMAN5050
How does one remove the stock deck? Do we need special radio keys?
The top center A/C vents are simply a snapped in piece. A firm but not harsh tug straight back and a little up should release them. Remove the A/C vents in the center. Then remove the trim from the gear shift area in the console. The easiest way to do this is to use a small screw driver and pop out the little quarters change holder to the lower right of the shift boot. Stick your finger in the hole towards the boot surround itself. Inside you'll feel the snap for the trim piece. Push up on it, and the edge of the trim will pop up. Gently work your way around the trim once you get it started. You'll have to remove a phillips head screw hidden behind the velvet liner in the ashtray. Also remember to unplug the connectors on the back of the trim piece (Hazard Light connector, Ash tray light, and one more can't remember). Once the trim piece on the console and the center A/C vents are removed, the screws to the A/C unit and the radio Head Unit are clearly visible. From there its common sense. All the plugs are disigned so you can only put them in the proper place.

As for the wiring, I can't remember exactly. The easiest way would be to pull the lower portion of the rear door panels and peek inside. See what color wires are on the back of the speakers in the rear doors. From there, tap into the corresponding wires on the back of the head unit with the Line out converter. Don't cut em. Tap into them. Place the Line Out Converter (LOC) behind the head unit, connect your RCA's and connect a remote turn on lead to the fused side of the radio turn on lead. After you get everything wired, you should be set to put the amp and subs in the trunk.

Placing the LOC behind the head Unit allows you to easily remove it when you decide that you should have gone with an aftermarket head unit after all. Your RCAs will already be located behind the dash, hence a straight forward install at that time.

Got any questions, PM me.
Old 10-06-2002, 09:51 AM

thanks a TON dwarner and everyone else that helped. I'm going to attempt to take out my radio now. Wish me luck!!
Old 10-06-2002, 10:57 AM

I got the trim from the gear shift area out and the three things are the Hazard, Cigarette Lighter, and the Ashtray light. I could not remove the AC vents though, I tried pulling and it woudln't budge. I got flatheads and tried prying, it would move up a little bit, but would not come out! Why was I having so much trouble with it?
Old 10-06-2002, 11:10 AM
PoweredbyNissan

Originally posted by asu174

How would he hook it up directly to his amp? The only way he can do that is if he has hi level inputs on his amp.

Most amps have low level inputs, though (RCA inputs). You need to convert the hi level deck output (speaker leads) to low level (RCA amp leads). If you just crimp on RCA jacks to speaker wires that are coming from the deck and plug them in your amp, you will fry the bloody **** out of it.

Line level converters do not improve sound quality. They actually add distortion. But it is your only option if you have a deck without preamp outputs (ie: stock deck).
I dont have a RCA converter and I hooked up an amp and two subs to my 2k2 maxima. All I did was that I tapped into some speaker wires and connect it to the amp, through the speaker level input or "hi level input" on the amp. It is kenwood KAC829, it has RCA inputs and those speaker level inputs. So, does my setup contradict your message? or is there something madly wrong with my setup? the amp hasn't been fried so far.

Old 10-06-2002, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by PoweredbyNissan

I dont have a RCA converter and I hooked up an amp and two subs to my 2k2 maxima. All I did was that I tapped into some speaker wires and connect it to the amp, through the speaker level input or "hi level input" on the amp. It is kenwood KAC829, it has RCA inputs and those speaker level inputs. So, does my setup contradict your message? or is there something madly wrong with my setup? the amp hasn't been fried so far.
You're fine. Most high end amps don't have hi level inputs.
Old 10-06-2002, 05:40 PM
Old Timer

The A/C vents are the hardest to get out. Try wedging a flathead in between the radio and the vents. Then place your thumb inside the top slot on the vent and your four fingers on the top of the vents. Do a little wiggling and pulling. They're tricky. But they will come out. The thing is, there's at least one maybe two phillips head screws benind the vents that go to the top of the radio. Thats what you have to get to. If you can't get it,you might try searching for someone in your area who's done it before for a little extra help. Good Luck man. Glad I was able to help on the rest of the removal.

By the way, i work nights and that tends to be when I post. Sorry for the inconvienence (SP?).
Old 10-06-2002, 05:52 PM

Is this the write up / pictures you were looking for on stereo removal??

http://carstereohelp.com/stereoremovalNisMax3.htm

Here is the one on the wiring for the 2002 Max:

http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/audio.html

Hope this helps??