5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Speed rating question on tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2002, 09:22 AM

Speed rating question on tires

I currently am in Georgia but am moving to the Northeast, specifically CT, soon. I am planning to buy new rims and tires but I can not decide on what speed rating to purchase. The options are V and H. I would like to get the V but I'm wondering how well it will do in rougher weather and if the H will perform that much better. The V is a 235/50 R 17 which is a little taller than the stock tires so I am hoping it will fit the wheel well a little better. The H is a 235/45 R 17 which is a little shorter than stock. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 10-06-2002, 09:56 AM

Re: Speed rating question on tires

Originally posted by NavySE
I currently am in Georgia but am moving to the Northeast, specifically CT, soon. I am planning to buy new rims and tires but I can not decide on what speed rating to purchase. The options are V and H. I would like to get the V but I'm wondering how well it will do in rougher weather and if the H will perform that much better. The V is a 235/50 R 17 which is a little taller than the stock tires so I am hoping it will fit the wheel well a little better. The H is a 235/45 R 17 which is a little shorter than stock. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
You should stick with the V rated tire. It's rated at 150 mph whereas the H rated is only 130 mph. Your 2000 comes stock with V-rated tires. If both tires are performance tires, they'll both suck in crap weather. Either get decent all-season tires or get good performance summer tires and good winter tires (performance winter tires would be better if you want to keep good handling/braking, etc.)
Although you'll probably never go over 130 mph, it's a general rule to have tires that can handle faster speeds than what your car can do.
Anyway, I'm sure someone else will probably say something different so read everyone's response and make your decision after reading them all. This is just my personal advice.
Old 10-06-2002, 10:21 AM

Re: Re: Speed rating question on tires

Originally posted by Axel

You should stick with the V rated tire. It's rated at 150 mph whereas the H rated is only 130 mph. Your 2000 comes stock with V-rated tires. If both tires are performance tires, they'll both suck in crap weather. Either get decent all-season tires or get good performance summer tires and good winter tires (performance winter tires would be better if you want to keep good handling/braking, etc.)
Although you'll probably never go over 130 mph, it's a general rule to have tires that can handle faster speeds than what your car can do.
Anyway, I'm sure someone else will probably say something different so read everyone's response and make your decision after reading them all. This is just my personal advice.
Thanks for the advice.