5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Remote starter on a manual?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2002, 09:28 AM

Remote starter on a manual?

anyone have this done and what brand did you go by? I would like to upgrade my security to a pager/remote system, but would like to know what i should be looking for. Thanks.
Old 10-10-2002, 09:41 AM

Re: Remote starter on a manual?

Originally posted by big h
anyone have this done and what brand did you go by? I would like to upgrade my security to a pager/remote system, but would like to know what i should be looking for. Thanks.
Clifford used to be the only one. Complicated procedure for it to work. While car is on with the pbrake set and tranny in neutral, hit the remote start button, remove key from ignition, get out and close door, arm the vehicle. this will "stall" the car and allow it to be remote started when you get back.

I'm sure DEI (new owner of Clifford) has products now too for manuals.

Also, if you can find a reputable place, they can bypass the clutch interrupt on most cars, but you HAVE to make sure you leave the car in neutral.
Old 10-10-2002, 09:42 AM
jjs

something like this?

http://www.autotoys4everyone.com/index.asp?currency=cdn
Old 10-10-2002, 09:48 AM

whoa nice link for us canadians...good find! Thanks JJS!
Old 10-10-2002, 09:51 AM
jjs

Originally posted by big h
whoa nice link for us canadians...good find! Thanks JJS!
no prob!

lucky 'GOOGLE' hit
Old 10-10-2002, 11:40 AM

now days there are many remote starter.... but it's pain in the butt to install it b/c our cars come with those chip in the key.....and in order for the car to remote start .... car has to think that key is in the ignition..... so i had to get extra key chip made from dealer and it was put into the remote starter so that the car will start w/o the key in the ignition..... but at the same time that chip has to be dorment when the remote starter is not on..... so that any copied key will not work to start the car...... hope that makes sense....

and most place won't want to install the auto start on the manual b/c of some liablities.... so better shop around....
Old 10-10-2002, 01:27 PM

A couple weeks ago a guy posted a question here about using some wire that is either charged or not charged when the 6sp is in nuetral. I don't know what wire this is, but if it exists, you could use it to tell the starter it's okay to start.

Here's the link: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hlight=neutral

What do you think?
Old 10-11-2002, 04:52 PM

...still no answers?
Old 10-11-2002, 05:02 PM
Administrator

delio has it on his 98 5spd .. msg him
Old 10-11-2002, 05:04 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

yes that works

I met a guy on the org with a compustar on a 2k3 and it works.. its a gear sense for sure..

Ed
Old 10-11-2002, 05:05 PM
2-Wheelin it...

Originally posted by 2002Maxxxima
...still no answers?
this has already been answered....1)yes we do have the chip, there's a unit called the chip bypass module that has 2 wires, power and ground. you run it along the same wire as the remote start. when the remote start is activated, power is sent to the bypass module, which contains a key. this picks up the key's code and allows the car to turn on. unfortunately, there is too much risk on a M/T car so NO company allows it. DEI forbids it, as a matter of fact. so good luck finding a DEI installer to do it. but yes, to bypass it, the car has to believe the clutch is pressed (remember, that's how you turn it on). now, all that is is a wire that activates a ground. if you run that wire to a permanent ground, you can do a remote start, you will also be able to turn on your car w/having the clutch pedal pressed, but you will lose cruise control because that is also the signal wire that detects if your clutch is pressed. as everyone knows, the second you press the clutch, the cruise disables. in this case, it senses that the clutch is always in, therefore cruise never on. as far as the link about PIN 44, that's a very interesting idea and i'll look into.
Old 10-11-2002, 05:55 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

That is all wrong..

You can have a remote starter on a manual.. i installed my own compustar on my mazda protege....

Your cruise will still work and you still must press the clutch to start teh car..

What happens during remote start, is that you tap in to the wire to your clutch (since it is negative based), your alarm sends a ground to the wire spliced in to the clutch switch... After your remote start can start the car because the clutch is fooled tobe depressed..

When you normally start the car, the clutch switch does not see ground thus without pressing it, it will not start..

And as for DEI forbidding it, that is true.. its a huge liabilty issue because of lots of dumb @ss installers..

Most alarms that are designed for manual start have manual transmission reservation modes that requires you to do a sequence for example my compustar required you to engage the parking brake, then take the key out of the igntion.. in this state, your car will continue to run, then you exit the car, then when you arm the alarm, it will shut the engine off.. THus ensuring the car is still in neutral.. However if you open the doors of the car before doing the remote start, the remote start conidtion will be cancelled to prvent from the car starting if the tranny was accidently in gear..

Since the maxima has that PIN#44, tranny gear wire, you can set any remote starter to automatic position thus you dont have to do the stupid reservation mode, and it will never start unless the gear is in neutral...

I am so happy to hear of this pin #44 andi have seen a guy with his install utilizing this wire.. Thats AWESOME..

ed