5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Orange Peel?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2002, 04:18 PM

Orange Peel?

2K2 Merlot SE with 2500k on the odometer was just in for paint repair (a defect in the paint on the rear drivers side quarter panel that had to be repainted).

The spot that was repainted looks great. The problem is the rear driver side door (as is most of the rest of the car) has noticible orange peel. Next to this repainted section it is REALLY noticable especially when it is just washed (one section is like a mirror, the other is distorted). On the door you can feel the orange peel.

I expressed my displeasure when I picked up the car after the repair, and they are going to talk to Nissan about it.

I do not expect (nor do I think I want) it to be repainted.

I am thinking of asking for a free extended warranty as compensation. Is that reasonable?
Old 10-13-2002, 04:33 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

You can wet sand that right out with 2500 paper. Have it done professionally! Any body shop can do that for you. Wet sand the orange peel out, polish it back up and you've got your mirror finish. The body shop did that to your refinished pannel. Probably because a touch of dirt got in the paint when the car was shot. It's common practice. Factory paint is usually quite smooth, but some cars have a bit of orange peel even from the factory. Now that you have a completey smooth painted pannel form your body shop, you can see the difference from OEM.

Find a good body shop or go back to the one that did your pannel. Ask them if they can get that to blend better by wet sanding the OEM finished pannels around it slightly. It wount be that noticable anymore if you just get them to blend them that way.

Doing the whole car would put a fantastic mirror like finish on it if it's done correctly. Show car paint jobs are always wet sanded for that mirror flat shine. No way anybody can shoot perfectly flat smooth, clean paint from a gun.
Old 10-13-2002, 04:47 PM

Thanks! I will be sure to ask about that when they call back on Monday.
Old 10-13-2002, 05:09 PM

njmaxseltd,
has your maxima undergone the wetsand process?? it looks like it's in really good condition.

victor
Old 10-13-2002, 06:32 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally posted by victor
njmaxseltd,
has your maxima undergone the wetsand process?? it looks like it's in really good condition.

victor
Thanks, I was lucky enough to get nice flat, smooth paint from the factory. Actually most Sterling Mist Max's I see have beautifull paint from Nissan. Sometimes a different color or clear coat is all it takes to make a difference in how the paint lays down.