5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Wind Noises Updates??

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2002, 01:27 PM

Wind Noises Updates??

I am having a heck of a time getting my 2k3 SE wind noises resolved by Nissan Dealer. Those noise categories are: 1) the rear fixed window area where there is indeed a TSB out; 2) sunroof---can't close it all the way without it leaking air and sounding like a jet engine, and;3) wind noise intrusion around the A and/or B pillars.
They have replace the seals for #1 with little improvement, 'adjusted' the sunroof for #2 with worse results and say they can't do anything about #3.
Has anyone had any satisfaction in getting their dealer to really fix the above items? if so, can you convey what they sepcifically did.
The noises are driving me crazy to the point I am requesting my dealer have a Nissan tech rep fly in to try to fix them.
Thanks...ken
Old 10-15-2002, 06:04 PM

I had them look at my rear driver-side window. When you hold the trimpiece down on the inside, it stops the wind noise. I explained that it is an "INTERNAL" problem on the little plastic-rubber interior trimpies of the small window. They ordered some tape from Nissan (I don't have the part# anymore) and now the noise is gone!... Sounds very quiet. Maybe if you can isolate it for them, you can show them where & how to eliminate the noise. I also told them that there might be a TSB for an INTERIOR piece of tape, not exterior. I don't know if that's what they did... but the noise is gone for good!

G
Old 10-15-2002, 06:43 PM
Donating Member

Re: Wind Noises Updates??

Good luck with the sunroof. I brought mine in four times, inlcluding the last to repair my dented roof and broken deflector when they damaged it replacing the sunroof glass. The Service Rep said they got it as good as they could get it and you can "only see a little light coming through now". Hello!!! If you can see light then it's not sealed. I've put up with it for months because I'm totally frustrated. Just warn them to be extra careful and someone let me know if they ever TSB this.
Old 10-15-2002, 06:46 PM

my 2000 gxe with 73 k miles is as quiet as can be up to 125 mph...maybe this is a newer model problem??

ry
Old 10-15-2002, 06:48 PM

I had all three of your problems, I had #1 fixed by TSB. They adjusted the sunroof angle, with little help but that's the best they can do. As to #3, I don't know where does it come from. Its more like from door seal to me, but definite wind noise some where.
Old 10-15-2002, 06:52 PM

Originally posted by 02MaXiMa_GLE
I had them look at my rear driver-side window. When you hold the trimpiece down on the inside, it stops the wind noise. I explained that it is an "INTERNAL" problem on the little plastic-rubber interior trimpies of the small window. They ordered some tape from Nissan (I don't have the part# anymore) and now the noise is gone!... Sounds very quiet. Maybe if you can isolate it for them, you can show them where & how to eliminate the noise. I also told them that there might be a TSB for an INTERIOR piece of tape, not exterior. I don't know if that's what they did... but the noise is gone for good!

G

Can you clarify. the seal they ordered for the rear window leak foes, in part, into the verticle metal bracket between the fixed window and and rear window. are you saying the seal, and foam tape issue is in the seal of the small window or around the rear window that also goes into the verticle bracket betweem them but on the rear window side? thanks...
Old 10-15-2002, 07:22 PM

Originally posted by nick778

Can you clarify. the seal they ordered for the rear window leak foes, in part, into the verticle metal bracket between the fixed window and and rear window. are you saying the seal, and foam tape issue is in the seal of the small window or around the rear window that also goes into the verticle bracket betweem them but on the rear window side? thanks...
Yes, the metal bracket you mention in the begining (between fixed & moving window). I noticed that when someone is driving, I can apply pressure to both ends (left & right) from the inside and squeeze it hard... which makes the noise go away. That's whay I told them int's an INSIDE problem... & mentioned an INSIDE TSB (though I didn't know if there really was one)

To sum it up, my problem was the tape on the INSIDE of the verticle bracket that rests between the rear side windows. That's what I told them... I don't know if they used tape on the inside, or outside, though...

Good luck,
G