5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

"F1" transmission option?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2002, 08:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

"F1" transmission option?

Purchasing a 2003;

Carpoint -

http://carpoint.msn.com/vip/newoverv...n&model=Maxima

Lists an "F1" transmission option for the SE - I haven't been able to find any info on this anywhere else. Can anyone verify this?

Thanks.
Old 10-15-2002, 09:10 PM

Re: "F1" transmission option?

Originally posted by emdee
Purchasing a 2003;

Carpoint -

http://carpoint.msn.com/vip/newoverv...n&model=Maxima

Lists an "F1" transmission option for the SE - I haven't been able to find any info on this anywhere else. Can anyone verify this?

Thanks.
MSN Screwed up...the 2003 does not have the electronic manual (sequentional transmision)

It has a 4 speed auto with a gated shifter or a 6-speed manual stick.
Old 10-16-2002, 07:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Max gearbox and suspension thoughts

Thanks - that makes sense - Wanted to get your thoughts a couple things.

How do you like the 4 SP Auto? Do you ever find that the car is "hunting for the right gear"? One feature I've read about that I like about the TL type S (5 SP Auto) sequential shifter - it's reportedly very smooth (more so that the Porche/Audi Tiptronic in fact) - & the extra gear would make for some extra punch going through the gears. Also, the Maxima's lack of a true independent rear suspension supposedly makes rough surface cornering a bit skittish.

Dollar for dollar, however - it seems that the Max is hard to beat.

emdee
Old 10-16-2002, 07:53 AM

Re: Re: Max gearbox and suspension thoughts

How do you like the 4 SP Auto? Do you ever find that the car is "hunting for the right gear"? One feature I've read about that I like about the TL type S (5 SP Auto) sequential shifter - it's reportedly very smooth (more so that the Porche/Audi Tiptronic in fact) - & the extra gear would make for some extra punch going through the gears. Also, the Maxima's lack of a true independent rear suspension supposedly makes rough surface cornering a bit skittish.

emdee
Isn't the Porche/Audi Triptronic a true sequential manual transmission though? Like the BMW one?
Old 10-16-2002, 07:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Re: Max gearbox and suspension thoughts

Not sure - don't know enough about the TipTronic - just recalling what I read @ Edmunds or some other article on the web.
Old 10-16-2002, 11:04 AM

emdee
The 4 speed auto is pretty nice if you drive regularly, if you plan on racing it and hammering the pedal down, u can feel the gears change kind of slowly. If you are thinking of getting a TL Type S and you can afford that, get that instead. The performance is pretty much equal but you get a better "luxury" car. Also, if you are thinking of getting a Maxima SE, the ride is going to be a little bumpy. The GLE is pretty smooth.
Old 10-16-2002, 12:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Max gearbox and suspension thoughts

Originally posted by Kojiro_FtT
Isn't the Porche/Audi Triptronic a true sequential manual transmission though? Like the BMW one?
I'm pretty sure it isn't. To my knowledge onle the BMW M3 SMG2, Toyota MR2, and Ferrari 360 and 575(?) have the semi-automatic as an option/standard. Of those, the M3 is the best one you can get for the money, though I'd bet that Ferrari's implementation is superior. The MR2's SMG is horrible from what I hear, you can make the shifts faster yourself.
Old 10-16-2002, 01:18 PM

emdee
check the TL boards. from what i understand, the extra gear is pretty useless since the top two gears are overdrive. great for fuel mileage and tip-shifting fun, but not the best for real performance.
our rear beam is really hurting the max's image, but the acura's got it's fair share of shortcomings.