5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

How much louder will average driving be if I were to get a Y pipe

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2002, 06:20 PM

How much louder will average driving be if I were to get a Y pipe

And all that jazz like a B-pipe et al. I want more power but I do not want to be super loud. TY.
Old 10-16-2002, 07:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: How much louder will average driving be if I were to get a Y pipe

Originally posted by TheOzzfather
And all that jazz like a B-pipe et al. I want more power but I do not want to be super loud. TY.
If you have the stock muffler it shouldnt be too much louder at all except at WOT, but if you have or get an aftermarket muffler then its gonna be loud and have a drone...but I like that kind of thing.
Old 10-16-2002, 09:16 PM

Re: How much louder will average driving be if I were to get a Y pipe

keep the stock muffler....just change the y and b pipe. I have the y pipe and it is not loud at all with the supercharger.
Old 10-18-2002, 08:42 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I just had a Place CAI, Cattman y-pipe and custom b-pipe installed on my 2k SE. Kept the stock muffler, and I must say I absolutely LOVE the sound. Nice and subtle when idle, a tad lower and more 'rumbly', isn't *anywhere* near unpleasant at WOT, just sounds sweet and tuned. Not ricey at all.
Old 10-18-2002, 09:03 AM

Do you have a link where I can buy these items...

Originally posted by twinpower
I just had a Place CAI, Cattman y-pipe and custom b-pipe installed on my 2k SE. Kept the stock muffler, and I must say I absolutely LOVE the sound. Nice and subtle when idle, a tad lower and more 'rumbly', isn't *anywhere* near unpleasant at WOT, just sounds sweet and tuned. Not ricey at all.

Thank you in advance....
Old 10-18-2002, 09:12 AM

Re: Do you have a link where I can buy these items...

http://www.custommaxima.com has nice prices on all of the parts I mentioned. Before the stock b-pipe was removed, I could hardly notice the Cold air intake and y-pipe together, so if keeping it quiet is your game, leave the stock b-pipe in place. I however recommend getting a b-pipe (sounds sweet!), either a pre-fabricated one from Cattman, or just see if your mechanic will weld on a custom pipe like mine did. Saved me $200.

Thank you in advance....
Old 10-18-2002, 09:14 AM

make sure there is a resonator in the b-pipe and the straight pipe
Old 10-18-2002, 10:43 AM
Very sound, Mike

I though there's still no ypipe for the 2k2+?
Old 10-18-2002, 12:57 PM

From my muscle car days, I remember seeing diagrams of Dynomax and Flowmaster mufflers, and I thought a good portion of the value-add in an aftermarket system was the "less restrictive," "free-er flowing" muffler? Why do you guys keep your mufflers stock?

Aside: My 2K2 SE has ~7K miles now, and the acceleration "hesitation" from 3K RPM is getting worse...
Old 10-18-2002, 01:10 PM

ive got the stillen y with a stillen rear section and stock cat and B pipe and the noise outside isnt too loud just a little deeper but inside u can hear a deep drone which bothers most people, but i dont mind it at all. It is a quite noticeable difference in interior noise tho. laterz

Steve
Old 10-18-2002, 01:23 PM

This one is important......

Originally posted by acMAX
make sure there is a resonator in the b-pipe and the straight pipe
Straight through pipe will have a drone, esp. if you do not keep the stock muffler...

D
Old 10-18-2002, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by srogers
From my muscle car days, I remember seeing diagrams of Dynomax and Flowmaster mufflers, and I thought a good portion of the value-add in an aftermarket system was the "less restrictive," "free-er flowing" muffler? Why do you guys keep your mufflers stock?

Aside: My 2K2 SE has ~7K miles now, and the acceleration "hesitation" from 3K RPM is getting worse...
The OEM maxima muffler really isnt all that restrictive. You only gain like 1-3 hp by using a straight-through muffler, so a lot of people keep it so they don't have the drone.
Old 10-19-2002, 09:39 AM

Its not going to be loud? You are talking about puttin a whole through ur exhaust that wont pass the muffler or cat? It should be very loud! I have one , its right after my downpipe. I live in a huge community and my house is in the back, my parents here me coming from the street! And idle is loud especially when ur starting up cold. Ur car will sound like the biggest piece of Shi+ but when ur racing it will sound beautiful! The highway is the worst and the best. Its the worst cause u gotta listen to that annoying constant tune of the exhuast but when u punch it on the highway u will see the most gains of power. Just watch the rpms when u let off the gas theres no back pressure ur engine might stall.