5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Max making noise on sharp turns

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2002, 01:20 AM

Max making noise on sharp turns

Anyone have an idea as to the cause of a "whirring squeak" rubbing sound when taking sharp corners? The noise only happens on really tight corners like 90 degree turns. It happens at low speed as easily as high speed. Sweeping off-ramps even at 70 MPH do not hear this noise. Kind of stumped on this one. Car shows no signs of anything rubbing.

Tim
Old 10-18-2002, 02:29 AM

maybe resonation that travels through the steering coulumn? I used to have some sort of whirring noise but I think its gone now that I cut my bumpstops more. I only had about an inch of travel before I cut them so I was thinking that during hard turns, the shock would bottom out on once side so that ment that the vibration from the tires will transfer through the rest of the strut and causing it all to resonate because there is nothing to dampen it due to the shock bottoming out.
Old 10-18-2002, 08:24 AM

Originally posted by Nismo
maybe resonation that travels through the steering coulumn? I used to have some sort of whirring noise but I think its gone now that I cut my bumpstops more. I only had about an inch of travel before I cut them so I was thinking that during hard turns, the shock would bottom out on once side so that ment that the vibration from the tires will transfer through the rest of the strut and causing it all to resonate because there is nothing to dampen it due to the shock bottoming out.
I'll check that out. thanks for you're input.
It does sound like something's rubbing or making contact but I have looked and can't find it.
It actually quite loud and I don't feel any vibration from it, just lots of noise.
Anyone have any other ideas?
Old 10-18-2002, 09:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Noise when turning sharply

If you are turning and have you foot on the breaks at all, it is the antilock system kicking in. When you are turning the two front wheels are rotating at different speeds and the computer thinks that one tire is skidding.
Old 10-18-2002, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Green

I'll check that out. thanks for you're input.
It does sound like something's rubbing or making contact but I have looked and can't find it.
It actually quite loud and I don't feel any vibration from it, just lots of noise.
Anyone have any other ideas?
\

I had the exact same problem. From a dead stop. If you turn the wheel all the way to the left and accelerate, it sounds as if something is rubbing in the wheel wells. I brought it to my Nissan dealership, but they claim they could not replicate it. It still makes the "rubbing" noise, but not bad enough for me to take the time to drop it off again.