5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Hate on Honda

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2002, 10:22 AM

Hate on Honda

Im trying to figure out what it is about that new Accord that everyone on this board hates. Right now I have a loaded black on black '01 AE and love it!! However, I had an Accord (94 coupe) before my Max and I loved that as well. But after seeing that new Accord coupe commercial, how can you think that car is not TIGHT!?!?!? 240-hp 6-speed with NAVI for under $30,000!!!! That's a steal and with Honda's reliablity, I just can't understand how people can bash that car.

And on a side note...who makes better 4-cylinders than Honda??

Just bored at work...

One...Jas
Old 10-18-2002, 10:30 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Well

personally I think the styling is awful.

The gauges are boring and situated weird. Big huge speedo and smaller guages around.

And 240 HP...eh...big deal. Until they start matching some FtLb/Tq with it, its just a whiney honda.
Old 10-18-2002, 10:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I dont like the look....that's it. otherwise, the new accord is a steal.....like Maxima.

few things about this forum :
1.it's ok to have a fast car, but if that fast car beats Maxima, then it's not ok
2.?
3.?
4.?
5.?

that 1.8T Jetta thread could've become a good discussion....but some just cant accept "A Maxima" was beaten in that race.
Old 10-18-2002, 10:33 AM

I remember my '94 Accord and I sigh...I miss my baby but I gots a new one now and everyday I fall in love more and more. I personally LIKE the new Accord, 240 horsies isn't bad even though it's only at high RPM, it's still 240 horsies. So they'll suck at take-off/mid-range but at high-way speeds it might actually get interesting. Just my .02
Old 10-18-2002, 10:46 AM
jjs

Re: Hate on Honda

Originally posted by Liberation
Im trying to figure out what it is about that new Accord that everyone on this board hates. Right now I have a loaded black on black '01 AE and love it!! However, I had an Accord (94 coupe) before my Max and I loved that as well. But after seeing that new Accord coupe commercial, how can you think that car is not TIGHT!?!?!? 240-hp 6-speed with NAVI for under $30,000!!!! That's a steal and with Honda's reliablity, I just can't understand how people can bash that car.

Just bored at work...

One...Jas

two words:

BUTT UGLY
Old 10-18-2002, 10:48 AM

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]
I dont like the look....that's it. otherwise, the new accord is a steal.....like Maxima.

1.it's ok to have a fast car, but if that fast car beats Maxima, then it's not ok
2.?
3.?
4.?
5.?

that 1.8T Jetta thread could've become a good discussion....but some just cant accept "A Maxima" was beaten in that race.
That thread was BS cuz the kid just wanted to **** people off. Go on a Max forum and say "look, I beat a Maxima, and it was a slow day for my car!" That's BS. If I went to the Jetta forums everytime I beat a Jetta, and was like "Look, I blew away this Jetta, and I missed 2nd gear too!" then they'd flame me right out the door. You beat a Max, congrats. There are billions of Max killers out there. Anyways, that's OT.

The new Accord is sweet, it's just ugly as hell. Put that 240hp 6-speed in the older coupe with the NSX tailights, and it would be awesome.
Old 10-18-2002, 10:51 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]

2.?
3.?
4.?
5.?

Hmmm, 1.8T burn maximas all the time IF the 1.8T is modded. The facts kept changing in the 1.8T thread. If he had been forthcoming with all modded facts it would have been a good thread.

My beef was not that he won...was that the facts of what was under the hood kept changing.
Old 10-18-2002, 10:58 AM
Boost.....

Old 10-18-2002, 10:59 AM

I think the Coupe looks great! It is the sedan that I am not so fond of.
Old 10-18-2002, 11:14 AM

Re: Re: Hate on Honda

Originally posted by jjs

two words:

BUTT UGLY
Two more words:

OVERCONFIDENT OWNERS!
Old 10-18-2002, 11:15 AM
jjs

Originally posted by J30A1
Ford Focus front end, rip-off Mercedes taillights, generic bubble car profile...

and those are the 'good' points...

Old 10-18-2002, 11:15 AM

Ehhh, it's ok

I agree with the Car and Driver review that said, about the styling, something along the lines of it being bland on the inside. I like the side shot (looks A LOT like the Alty) and the front may grow on me. It's that rear that I cannot get over. Car and Driver compared the rear styling to a Buick and I agree. Then again, the Buick market may be a large % of the buyers. Some people don't like the rears on the max; I don't like the rear on the new accord. To each his own. As for the engine....well...I'd like to take on for a spin
Old 10-18-2002, 11:23 AM

Originally posted by jjs

Ford Focus front end, rip-off Mercedes taillights, generic bubble car profile...

and those are the 'good' points...

I like the Mercedes Rip off taillights! They look great! There is no bubble profile. I own the car and it has no evidence of this. Ford Focus front end?? Not even close! It looks more like the Altima in the front and that car doesn't even look like the Accord Coupe. The Sedan is not bad but the Rear End just doesn't do anything for me but IMO I think the coupe looks great.
Old 10-18-2002, 11:25 AM
jjs

I like the Mercedes Rip off taillights! They look great! There is no bubble profile. I own the car and it has no evidence of this. Ford Focus front end?? Not even close! It looks more like the Altima in the front and that car doesn't even look like the Accord Coupe. The Sedan is not bad but the Rear End just doesn't do anything for me but IMO I think the coupe looks great.
Whatever...
Old 10-18-2002, 11:34 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

To each their own. No way you are going to convience Nissan owners on thier page that the Honda looks/is/performs/ blah blah blah better.

On the other hand, no way a Nissan owner is going to convince a Honda owner that the Nissan looks/is/performs/ blah blah blah better on a Honda page.
Old 10-18-2002, 11:37 AM

Originally posted by jjs

two words:

BUTT UGLY
WOW!! I just can't see it...I think that coupe is HOTT!!!

One...Jas
Old 10-18-2002, 11:39 AM

I see that you have your new coupe on the way...how does that thing feel on the road?? Compared to the previous V6 you had.

One...Jas
Old 10-18-2002, 11:43 AM

Just bored at work...

One...Jas

Because this is a Maxima site...
Old 10-18-2002, 11:49 AM

the coupe is awite...but I like sedans. I like Acura 3.2's, Civics, and Integras. I think the RSX is great. I don't HATE hondas.

One thing is for sure.

I love my MAXIMA!
Old 10-18-2002, 11:52 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

I have the same exact problem in the new Accord as I do with the 5th Gen Maxima. Not enough room for my huge azz legs between the steering wheel and the center radio/HVAC stack! Yet another car I can't consider all because I can't fit in it!!!

I have plenty of room in the Altima (telescoping wheel) and my 4th Gen.

I sat in the new Accord V6 a few weeks back. Overall it's pretty nice, but it's just boring. It just didn't excite me or get me pumped up at all. Plus it's a heavy car (3360lb), has no torque (only 212), and the only time it'll be reasonably fast is in the last 1/3rd of the rev range with your foot flat on the floor (translation: highway dragging).

So the only place the new AV6 will be quicker than my car is on the highway when the revs are saturated above 5500rpm. Umm...yeah.

I'll be sticking with my 4th Gen
Old 10-18-2002, 11:56 AM

I was shocked at the price of a loaded accord... Considering my altima was a few thousand more, with a ****ty interior.

I think it is a bargain, plus GOOD RESALE! I just was not impressed with the exterior.
Old 10-18-2002, 12:10 PM

Originally posted by SteVTEC
I have the same exact problem in the new Accord as I do with the 5th Gen Maxima. Not enough room for my huge azz legs between the steering wheel and the center radio/HVAC stack! Yet another car I can't consider all because I can't fit in it!!!
dam* son, I think the 5th gen is huge. I have no problem fitting my big frame in the cockpit.
Old 10-18-2002, 12:10 PM
swallac2

I had 2k Accord Coupe. To be honest I don't see what all of the Honda hype is about. It rattled like hell and I had more than my fair share of dealer trips. I have had much better success with the Maxima. I'm gonna get flamed for this, but only Lemmings drive Honda's. They follow the line to jump off the cliff and into the seat. No one know's why they do it, they just do. I once was a Lemming thinking that the grass was greener over there, it wasn't. It was all spray painted green.

I'll stop rambling now....

Old 10-18-2002, 01:11 PM

[i]

I sat in the new Accord V6 a few weeks back. Overall it's pretty nice, but it's just boring. It just didn't excite me or get me pumped up at all. Plus it's a heavy car (3360lb), has no torque (only 212), and the only time it'll be reasonably fast is in the last 1/3rd of the rev range with your foot flat on the floor (translation: highway dragging).

So the only place the new AV6 will be quicker than my car is on the highway when the revs are saturated above 5500rpm. Umm...yeah.

I'll be sticking with my 4th Gen [/B]
per SteVtec chart

honda guy/girl: the 03 av6 will have hp advantage at 5500 rpm.....so we have more hp overall........

me: yep, you're absolutely correct......remind me again of that when you try to catch up to me
Old 10-18-2002, 01:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think maybe no-one likes it because the car looks like a Ford Focus (and hey, if you want a Focus, buy one...). Also, we've owned two Honda Accords, and '89 and a '90, both of which were pretty troublesome (mostly the '90, which ate it's transmission TWICE). But the '89, while an okay car, trashed its A/C, CV joints (regularly), and did a couple other random things.
Old 10-18-2002, 01:25 PM

My wife and I both agree that we don't like the styling of the car at all. The inside is pleasant, but not appealing to us.
Old 10-18-2002, 01:36 PM

Many people have been dissing quality of both Nissan and Honda lately. It's important to point out that having good reliability numbers doesn't mean you will never have a problem with one or that you will never have a problem car. It just means that your chances of having problems are much smaller than if you had purchased a car from a less reliable manufacturer. I hear a lot of people like "I had mad problems, never buying again." Or, "I never had a problem, so I don't understand why people make all these acronyms for Ford?" It's all just statistics. In the end, it's just luck.
Old 10-18-2002, 04:43 PM

240-hp 6-speed with NAVI for under $30,000!!!!

you could get an Acura CL-S 6-Speed 260-hp for under 30K as well, and most likely bargain in a navi for 29-30K.

Toyota makes better 4-cyl. VVT-i is a lot better than VTEC. VTEC is the most over-rated engine to date.
Old 10-18-2002, 04:53 PM
Maxima06071

I don't care what Honda does, if it's not a Type R then I'm not havin' it!

Old 10-18-2002, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by Maxima06071
I don't care what Honda does, if it's not a Type R then I'm not havin' it!
...but you can always be like 99% of Honda Enthusiasts and just add the sticker. Then it's a Type-R.

Old 10-18-2002, 05:10 PM
Maxima06071

Originally posted by GLE02NJ
...but you can always be like 99% of Honda Enthusiasts and just add the sticker. Then it's a Type-R.

Yeah! RICE PAR-TAY!!

Old 10-18-2002, 05:18 PM

Honda Love....

I've owned a couple of Accords, a 92 and a 94, both EX models and both with 5 speeds. I liked them both very much and they were both solid cars. They were quite peppy with the manual transmission, but they did lack a cetain amount of excitement. The pep actually surprised me as I went from an 86 Mustang LX 5.0/5 speed to the 92 Accord.

When I bought my 97 Max, that car was fun to drive and had a flair that the Accords didn't.

As far as the new Accords, my wife and I were considering the 03 Accord as she was getting rid of her 96 Accord and had an 91 Accord (and Honda loyalty) before that. We test drove an 02 and she was very disappointed by it. I already was disappointed back in 97 when I test drove an EX V-6 to replace my 94 Accord. The lack of excitement and soft ride in addition to the dealer thinking $100 off sticker on the then new body was good deal led me to a Maxima. My dad actually suggested it as he owned a 90 Max and now a 95 Max.

I think the new coupe is decent enough looking although in person it reminds me very much of a larger RSX with a Civic nose. I didn't really like the stodgy styling on the four door at all. I'm glad we opted for the 02 Max!
Old 10-18-2002, 06:02 PM

All I have to say "ITS A HONDA"
Old 10-18-2002, 07:14 PM

No Honda hating here!!

Though I have a 2K2 Max and Y2K Quest SE, I would have been happy to take a J32A2 powered Accord and an Odyssey EX instead. Of course Honda never dropped the J32 into the 6th gen Accord and the Ody goes for MUCH more than sticker.

The new Accord sedan is sharper looking than the 6G Accord, though still conservative. The coupe looks to be slammin': 6sp tranny w/a 240hp J30 motor, drop it 2", plus 1 the tire/wheel package, upgrade the suspension and if the budget allows, bolt on a supercharger kit. Loads of potential here.

Anyway, Honda/Acura has always been my first choice but I always seem to get a much better deal with Nissan. If the 5G Max didnt upgrade to the VQ35DE, I would have gotten the 7G Accord instead.

Peace.
Old 10-18-2002, 08:18 PM

Originally posted by jjs

two words:

BUTT UGLY
It reminds me when 5th Gen Maxima first came out. Almost everybody said like this. At first, I didn't like it either but it grew on me.
Considering Honda is selling Accord over 400,000 a year it'll be everywhere and people no longer complain.
Old 10-18-2002, 08:34 PM

Re: Re: Re: Hate on Honda

Originally posted by dlee27
[B]

It reminds me when 5th Gen Maxima first came out. Almost everybody said like this. At first, I didn't like it either but it grew on me.
B]
I felt the same exact way! It looked so ugly from the rear but now I like it a lot! I just hope the new 4 door accord doesnt grow on me, we were going to wait for that car to come out before we bought the maxima and good thing it turned out really bad. NO REGRETS