5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

New Problem with Windows/Lights on 2K2 Max

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2002, 03:48 PM
ABS

New Problem with Windows/Lights on 2K2 Max

I just got my car back from the dealer. They installed a new Bose HU. The new unit appears to be working normally, but now I have a set of new problems . . .

While driving the car, the interior dome light is coming on and off intermittently. When this happens, the ignition key light also lights up. I could not detect any apparent sequence to this occurance. I have also experienced, only once so far, both the driver's and passenger's front windows unrolling on their own while I was out of the car with the car locked. Last, I am hearing an intermitent "clicking" sound, while driving the car, which is clearly a relay behind the driver's dash activating on it's own.

My guess is that while the dealer had the HU out, they did some rewiring and/or modified the settings in the security computer.

Does anyone know if the symptoms I have described can be caused by computer settings/adjustments alone? If the answer is NO, then I am prepared to pull out the dash myself to see exactly what wiring alterations they made. If the answer is YES, then I will need to find a reputable dealer in the metro NYC area. Either way I am VERY open to recommendations for a good dealer in NYC (preferably Queens).

Thanks in advance, any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-18-2002, 06:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: New Problem with Windows/Lights on 2K2 Max

Do you have just the stock "alarm?" Or, have you bought an aftermarket one? Just curious cuz I've had my windows seem to accidently roll down after locking the car before, but I just credited it to my aftermarket alarm.
Old 10-18-2002, 06:48 PM

Take it BACK!

Obvious electrical glitch, especially after the Bose replacement.

Take it back and raise hell.
Old 10-19-2002, 11:04 AM
ABS

The car is totally stock. No new alarms or anything. I think the dealer is messing with me to make back money for the extra time they spent working on the clutch replacement since Nissan doesn't pay enough for that job.

My big question is whether or not these problems can occur by changes made from the Consult II or if they could only be caused by a re-wiring job. I hope it is the former and not the latter . . .
Old 10-19-2002, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by ABS
The car is totally stock. No new alarms or anything. I think the dealer is messing with me to make back money for the extra time they spent working on the clutch replacement since Nissan doesn't pay enough for that job.

My big question is whether or not these problems can occur by changes made from the Consult II or if they could only be caused by a re-wiring job. I hope it is the former and not the latter . . .
I am afraid it will be the latter. Sounds to me like they damaged something behind the headunit when they replaced it.
Old 10-19-2002, 11:28 AM
ABS

Originally posted by warrlocked

I am afraid it will be the latter. Sounds to me like they damaged something behind the headunit when they replaced it.
I think it may have been intentional. I also just discovered that the sunroof is not operating properly. It will pop up, but the slider is not functioning at all . . . Given the way the interior lights are turning on and the fact that I can hear the window relay "clicking" regularly while I drive the car, I suspect that they shorted something out . . . So now, certain circuits are going to an intermittent ground . . .
Old 10-19-2002, 11:26 PM
ABS

I went out tonight and guess what . . . after turning off my car, I opened the driver's side door and both front windows rolled themselves all the way down. This happened 3-4 times in a row. My best guess is that the window relay either burnt out or got frozen in a certain position so that now, anytime the key is not in the ignition, the windows unroll. I actually had to get under the hood and pull the 40 amp fuse for the window circuit in order to get the windows to stay up (I pulled the fuse with the key in the igntion so the windows would stay up while doing this).

Absolutely incredible. The dealer just reamed me . . .
Old 10-19-2002, 11:51 PM

after dealer replace my stock hu.......my dom light stopped working...my sidemarkers stopped working.......went back.......came out with -$60.00
Old 10-20-2002, 12:32 AM
ABS

Originally posted by BioMaxDDS
after dealer replace my stock hu.......my dom light stopped working...my sidemarkers stopped working.......went back.......came out with -$60.00
Was this a warranty item? If so why were you charged? Also, what did the problem turn out to be? Thanks!
Old 10-20-2002, 02:39 AM

Originally posted by ABS

Was this a warranty item? If so why were you charged? Also, what did the problem turn out to be? Thanks!
i thought the they must have screw up something when they were replacing hu, so I brought it back. The service rep told me, my aftermarket light bulb simply just went out (all 3 at the same time). And since its aftermarket light bulbs...and took them forever to figure out that was the problem. They had to charge me $130 something for labor. I went there, talk to the tech....he said the light bulbs were missing. I was so ****ed off and confronted the service rep....he couldn't explain it, and said i have to at least pay for new light bulbs & the labor to put it in. Anyways, those light bulbs were missing right after I got it back from the dealer, so i'm guessing one of the people that work there stole my superwhite light bulbs.
Old 10-20-2002, 10:52 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

here I heard a service tech stole a 300Z someone dropped off for service.. the whole car.. the service writer denied the car was ever there. Once police swarmed the shop (which cant look good from the sales lot), they all started talking. They werent sure what had happened to the car. They had the tech nailed in like 15 mins. It was in his garage at home. Nice... They are one of the largest dealers in the region too! So, anyway.. yeah, they stole your bulbs..
Old 10-20-2002, 10:53 AM

oh, ABS... they toasted your SECU. Easy to replace.. easy to diag, once they have one in stock, its prolly a one hour job.
Old 10-20-2002, 06:11 PM
ABS

Originally posted by TimW
oh, ABS... they toasted your SECU. Easy to replace.. easy to diag, once they have one in stock, its prolly a one hour job.
TimW,

Yup, I was thinking that too. But listen to this, now, with the 40 amp power window fuse pulled, the windows and auto locks don't operate (as expected) and the lights no longer flash when I enable/disable the stock alarm. But, the interior dome light and the ignition key light are both functioning normally! I can almost guarantee that the tech wired up the interior lights to the auto window circuit . . . Oh, I almost forgot, the power window relay isn't clicking on/off any more . . .

Thanks for the input!
Old 10-20-2002, 09:25 PM

I dont think they wired anything, I think they probably bent a pin and now that pin is touching other pins.. maybe nothing is fried, just needs to be un-shorted.
Old 10-20-2002, 09:32 PM
ABS

I dont think they wired anything, I think they probably bent a pin and now that pin is touching other pins.. maybe nothing is fried, just needs to be un-shorted.
Hmmmm . . . maybe. I'm going to leave the fuse out until I get it to the dealer on Friday morning. I sure hope you're right about that one. Are you a Nissan tech by any chance?

Based on my experience with the dealer I've been using up till now for my service, nothing would surprise me. However, the issues that keep appearing are such that I can't help but think they are doing this intentionally.

I sure hope you are right!

The worst thing is, in NY so many people are dishonest and manipulative, it's tought to know if you're being screwed or if the problem is legitimate . . . Arkansas might be different?
Old 10-20-2002, 11:02 PM

well, Little Rock and the surrounding area is about a 1/2 mill, so we have the same whack dealers as anywhere else. They pull the exact same shenanigans. However, I found that I can drive 30 miles out of the city to a small town dealer and I get treated like gold. Night and day. they have about 3-4 techs and 6 bays. Its all right there and they dont care if youre watching or not, 'cause they arent trying to hide anything. very refreshing.

Then there are people like Dave B who supply you with lots of info and try to save you money by educating you alittle when you're trying to purchase parts. Honestly, I've resorted to buying some parts from Dave as opposed to trying warranty. After a few trips to the dealer, you've wasted so much time, its cheaper to just buy the $10 part and do it yourself. Obviously on larger ticket items I go for warranty.

I'm a developer, mostly database... I know more about my maxima than I ever cared to. Sadly, taking your car into our dealers without doing your homework first can be a very frustrating and costly exercise.
Old 10-21-2002, 10:31 PM
ABS

well, Little Rock and the surrounding area is about a 1/2 mill, so we have the same whack dealers as anywhere else. They pull the exact same shenanigans. However, I found that I can drive 30 miles out of the city to a small town dealer and I get treated like gold. Night and day. they have about 3-4 techs and 6 bays. Its all right there and they dont care if youre watching or not, 'cause they arent trying to hide anything. very refreshing.

Then there are people like Dave B who supply you with lots of info and try to save you money by educating you alittle when you're trying to purchase parts. Honestly, I've resorted to buying some parts from Dave as opposed to trying warranty. After a few trips to the dealer, you've wasted so much time, its cheaper to just buy the $10 part and do it yourself. Obviously on larger ticket items I go for warranty.

I'm a developer, mostly database... I know more about my maxima than I ever cared to. Sadly, taking your car into our dealers without doing your homework first can be a very frustrating and costly exercise.
Tim,

I completely understand. The problem I have is trying to find that little dealer who will treat me like gold. I don't think he exists in the metro tri-state area . . .

Like you, I am in IT and have programming experience. When something is wrong, I usually research it like crazy so that I can go in prepared. Trouble is, the mechanics are too busy to talk and the service reps plead ignorance. So, it's almost pointless to even do the research except for my own knowledge and for future repairs after the warranty is up.

Boy, I wish I had a Consult II. Then I probably could resolve 90 percent of the issues I've been seeing on my own just by following the ESM. Oh well.
Old 10-22-2002, 08:06 AM

Dome lights

yes, you know I have experienced this problem from time to time with my dome lights only. my car is completely stock. For a short while the dome light will not work and then later it freakin works. Also,
the volume on my radio changes. I have it set for "JVC high", windows up normal speed and the volume changes by itself. Wierd stuff is happening. I have an auto magic se 2k2.

And while I am here let me vent this also. Throttle response is great at about 50 degrees. I have read treads about "hesitation" which seems to apply to my auto also. most threads i've seen are for the 6spds. Wondering if there is a fix for that!!! Just wanted to vent
Old 10-22-2002, 10:32 PM
ABS

Re: Dome lights

Originally posted by bootone
yes, you know I have experienced this problem from time to time with my dome lights only. my car is completely stock. For a short while the dome light will not work and then later it freakin works. Also,
the volume on my radio changes. I have it set for "JVC high", windows up normal speed and the volume changes by itself. Wierd stuff is happening. I have an auto magic se 2k2.

And while I am here let me vent this also. Throttle response is great at about 50 degrees. I have read treads about "hesitation" which seems to apply to my auto also. most threads i've seen are for the 6spds. Wondering if there is a fix for that!!! Just wanted to vent
SVC high is supposed to automatically raise or lower the volume of the HU based upon noise that it senses. As you go faster, it will boost the volume. This is normal. If you don't like it, set it to Low or Off.

What is the problem with the Dome lights you are experiencing?

The hesitation issue seems to impact some, but not others, I don't know of any fix yet.