5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

can someone tell me if this is normal??!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2002, 04:07 PM
The Definitive AE Master

can someone tell me if this is normal??!

situation: check engine light comes on after 5 days of driving with Injen CAI

I take apart the front tubing today to see what's up while disconnecting the battery, this is what i see:

is this normal? If it is, i didn't know the stock injen filter lets in that much crap
Old 10-20-2002, 04:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: can someone tell me if this is normal??!

Originally posted by Larrio

I take apart the front tubing today to see what's up while disconnecting the battery, this is what i see:

is this normal? If it is, i didn't know the stock injen filter lets in that much crap
Does any of that come off with a wipe or is it stuck to the tube? I thought the filter wasnt that great as it was, so I put in a K&N style filter with the apexi design.
Old 10-20-2002, 04:24 PM
The Definitive AE Master

most of the stuff are scratches, so I can't figure out how that happened. And most of it cannot be wiped off
Old 10-20-2002, 05:03 PM
The Definitive AE Master

okay, I just cleaned it with a wet towel and it turns out that most of it are scratches which I can't figure out. Alot of the dust came off, but long scratches are still there.
Old 10-20-2002, 05:48 PM

Re: Re: can someone tell me if this is normal??!

Originally posted by Y2KSESteve
Does any of that come off with a wipe or is it stuck to the tube? I thought the filter wasnt that great as it was, so I put in a K&N style filter with the apexi design.
Can you send a picture and maybe post a link to what type of K&N filter you bought? Like what size do you need to use -> 3" opening? I don't plan on using the Injen filter that comes with the intake, I want to go with a brand-name filter, not some generic junk. Thanks!
Old 10-20-2002, 06:06 PM
The Definitive AE Master

I used the injen filter that came with the cai... that's why I was asking if this is normal cause the pipe now looks pretty messed up

i'm not looking into k&n or apexi.. but i'm not sure whether to put the stock intake back in and then switch it off again or just run the injen with the crappy filter for now and wash it again later.
Old 10-20-2002, 07:15 PM

I used the injen filter that came with the cai... that's why I was asking if this is normal cause the pipe now looks pretty messed up

i'm not looking into k&n or apexi.. but i'm not sure whether to put the stock intake back in and then switch it off again or just run the injen with the crappy filter for now and wash it again later.
I don't think that what happened to your intake's tubing is what happens to everyone's tubing. I think something might have gone wrong with your intake's filter b/c it looks like you sucked in some nasty crap that messed up the tubing.
Old 10-20-2002, 07:41 PM

I used a 3" filter that Alex at Southwestautoworks.com has in his store. You can call him and get one. I'll take some pics later on tonight and post em. I like the filter a lot and when its dirty I'm just gonna buy another one.
Old 10-20-2002, 07:47 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Can you send a picture and maybe post a link to what type of K&N filter you bought? Like what size do you need to use -> 3" opening? I don't plan on using the Injen filter that comes with the intake, I want to go with a brand-name filter, not some generic junk. Thanks!
i dont have an injen but this is the one that im using as of now. k&n im using the inverted one, about halfway down the page. rr-3003. its seems to be a slightly better filter for low-end than the berk filter.
Old 10-20-2002, 08:08 PM
The Definitive AE Master

i'm a bit worried right now cause i'm thinking that whatever messed up the tubing inside also set off the check engine light

I reset the ecu by disconnecting the battery for a couple of hours today and I totally took apart and cleaned the tubing on the cai and put it back

I just drove 5 miles on it at different speeds and revving it over the rpm range... things are fine.. for NOW. I can't justify paying 70 bucks for the apexi filter, but if the piping is all covered in dirt again in 5 days... i'll have to go k&n or apexi
Old 10-20-2002, 09:40 PM

i'm a bit worried right now cause i'm thinking that whatever messed up the tubing inside also set off the check engine light

I reset the ecu by disconnecting the battery for a couple of hours today and I totally took apart and cleaned the tubing on the cai and put it back

I just drove 5 miles on it at different speeds and revving it over the rpm range... things are fine.. for NOW. I can't justify paying 70 bucks for the apexi filter, but if the piping is all covered in dirt again in 5 days... i'll have to go k&n or apexi
The apexi filter is nice, but I think its overrated a lot. The filter that came with your injen basically is a K&N filter. If your tubing keeps getting that dirty then something definitely isnt right. You can try getting a new 3" filter and seeing if it helps. You may have a bad filter or it may have a tear in the fibers or something during install. Just wait a few days and see how it looks then.
Old 10-20-2002, 09:55 PM

Re: can someone tell me if this is normal??!

a little off topic, but i love the way the valence grill looks with your color max and the headlight and turn signal bulbs.. very sharp.. but the license plate has to go.. it's worth the hassle from the 5.0 because it makes the car look 100 times more aggressive
Old 10-20-2002, 10:07 PM

Can someone with a setup similar to Larrio's check their install and see if the same thing is happening?

Larrio, try rubbing those line marks with something like goo gone (that will break-up tar or goo) and see if it removes those lines. Check the goo gone on a small area first to make sure it won't strip the finish inside the injen.

pfssh
woosh
Old 10-20-2002, 10:24 PM
The Definitive AE Master

Originally posted by woosh
Can someone with a setup similar to Larrio's check their install and see if the same thing is happening?

Larrio, try rubbing those line marks with something like goo gone (that will break-up tar or goo) and see if it removes those lines. Check the goo gone on a small area first to make sure it won't strip the finish inside the injen.

pfssh
woosh
this is the thing that upset me.. those line marks are not from dirt.. they are deep scratches that run perfectly parallel along the length of the tubing, make me think that it was a error in the production process. Only the dark patches are actual dirt

Jeff2k1GLE:
thanks for the compliment I will get rid of the license plate and fill the holes when I get the kit
Old 10-21-2002, 05:46 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

The scratches were most likely there from the get go. Dirt tends to get into cracks, scratches and stick there. That leads me to draw the conclusion that your air filter sucks. It's letting in quite a bit of dirt which is lodging itself in the cracks and scratches along the pipe walls.

Your CEL may have been set by your MAF sensor. To bad you 5th gen guys can't get the codes from the ECU without scan tools.

Personally I wouldn't be so happy with that intake after seeing that.
Old 10-21-2002, 07:04 AM
Boost.....

It looks like there is a big "crack...hole" in the pipe
Old 10-21-2002, 07:29 AM
The Definitive AE Master

the hole that is in one of the pictures is for the oxygen sensor to be put into.

njmax... and your right, i'm not too happy with the filter. I mean it's it can't filter everything.. but I don't know about that much dirt going through.

I reset the ecu by disconnecting the battery, cleaned the pipe, reinstalled everything and took it for a spin.. about 10 miles. Everything is fine so far and the car is friggin' fast.. but we'll see after I take apart the pipe in a couple of days.

The weird thing is that the front pipe piece is full of dust, but the MAF sensor area was clean when I wiped it with a towel. All other areas made the towel black after wiping it
Old 10-21-2002, 03:18 PM
The Definitive AE Master

I emailed Injen yesterday and they replied today in the afternoon regarding the piping issue:

"What you are referring to is the polishing dust for the buffer machines. This will not harm your engine. You can push a rag through the intake and it will come off easily. Compressed air will work as well."

Best regards,

Phillip Phong
Operations Manager
Injen Technology
www.Injen.com
(909) 839-0706 x206
(909) 348-0436 fax
Old 10-21-2002, 06:11 PM
Sly

Larrio, what you're referring to as an oxygen sensor is really the intake air temp sensor. When you reinstall it you might want to put some silicone RTV around the rubber grommet, and under the sensor itself, to ensure an air-tight seal. That could be one source of the dirt.

As for the "polishing dust", if it really does polish metal then it's abrasive and should've been cleaned out before they sent it to you. Also, I'm guessing the long scrtatches you see inside the tubing are from the mandrel bending process and are normal.
Old 10-22-2002, 12:31 AM
The Definitive AE Master

Originally posted by Sly
Larrio, what you're referring to as an oxygen sensor is really the intake air temp sensor. When you reinstall it you might want to put some silicone RTV around the rubber grommet, and under the sensor itself, to ensure an air-tight seal. That could be one source of the dirt.

As for the "polishing dust", if it really does polish metal then it's abrasive and should've been cleaned out before they sent it to you. Also, I'm guessing the long scrtatches you see inside the tubing are from the mandrel bending process and are normal.
thanks alot for the tip, i'll be sure to try the silicone rtv.