5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

FINALLY installed Berk Mid..thoughts (long)

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2002, 02:32 PM

FINALLY installed Berk Mid..thoughts (long)

Well, I finally received the midpipe from Bryan and put it on this afternoon. Here are some thoughts:

1. Where are the instructions? I had to use my common sense and Frankencar's instructions to install it. Why would you want us to use the competitor's instructions, Bryan?

2. The hose that attaches to the MAF is RIDICULOUSLY hard to get on. I mean, I used half a bottle of KY--->pulled and stretch, pulled and streched, and finally it went on. I felt like I was Shaq hooking up with Ally MacBeal...

3. I get the pipe on, the new red hoses attached and clamped down and realize that my original Berk metal flange that attaches the MAF to the airfilter is sitting 3 inches BEHIND the MAF opening. I had to uninstall the orginal Berk setup and just attach the filter directly to the MAF. THIS IS NOT GOOD SIR! Why did I waste my money on the damn fabricated 'superior' setup just so it doesn't fit with the Midpipe.

4. Reattach the battery and start her up....WHOOSH! This thing roars past 3K rpm. At first, my idle was hovering around 1.5K instead of 750K. But, after running for about 2 minutes everything went back to normal.

5. I came back from driving around the block, with fingers crossed that all the shoving on the MAF would not blow it. Well, so good so far. I jimmy-rigged some zip ties to hold the MAF and filter to the fender wall.

So, thoughts are this...I like the product, but ****ed that the original Berk intake doesn't work with it. Believe me, I tried EVERYTHING to get it on, but it just didn't fit in there. I recommend the midpipe to all. Nice cheap addition to gain 5-7 real HP.
Old 10-21-2002, 02:55 PM

Re: FINALLY installed Berk Mid..thoughts (long)

Originally posted by Texasguy
Well, I finally received the midpipe from Bryan and put it on this afternoon. Here are some thoughts:

1. Where are the instructions? I had to use my common sense and Frankencar's instructions to install it. Why would you want us to use the competitor's instructions, Bryan?

2. The hose that attaches to the MAF is RIDICULOUSLY hard to get on. I mean, I used half a bottle of KY--->pulled and stretch, pulled and streched, and finally it went on. I felt like I was Shaq hooking up with Ally MacBeal...

3. I get the pipe on, the new red hoses attached and clamped down and realize that my original Berk metal flange that attaches the MAF to the airfilter is sitting 3 inches BEHIND the MAF opening. I had to uninstall the orginal Berk setup and just attach the filter directly to the MAF. THIS IS NOT GOOD SIR! Why did I waste my money on the damn fabricated 'superior' setup just so it doesn't fit with the Midpipe.

4. Reattach the battery and start her up....WHOOSH! This thing roars past 3K rpm. At first, my idle was hovering around 1.5K instead of 750K. But, after running for about 2 minutes everything went back to normal.

5. I came back from driving around the block, with fingers crossed that all the shoving on the MAF would not blow it. Well, so good so far. I jimmy-rigged some zip ties to hold the MAF and filter to the fender wall.

So, thoughts are this...I like the product, but ****ed that the original Berk intake doesn't work with it. Believe me, I tried EVERYTHING to get it on, but it just didn't fit in there. I recommend the midpipe to all. Nice cheap addition to gain 5-7 real HP.
Hmm, what do you mean you attached filter directly to MAF?

Was there any bracket included with the intake? I have a bracket that attaches to strut tower, it came with FrankenCar intake. It really holds the whole intake with midpipe very well.

There were alot of discussions about vibration and MAF, so I would secure it pretty good.
I don't have a pic, but kloodgy has a pic of that bracket on his site I think.

I hope I made sense. Maybe you were talking about something else
Old 10-21-2002, 05:37 PM

Re: Re: FINALLY installed Berk Mid..thoughts (long)

Originally posted by Dany

Hmm, what do you mean you attached filter directly to MAF?

Was there any bracket included with the intake? I have a bracket that attaches to strut tower, it came with FrankenCar intake. It really holds the whole intake with midpipe very well.
Well, that was my point. I have the MAF bracket from the Berk intake, but addtionally, we have a bracket that attaches to the bottom of the fender to secure it. This bracket is the one that no longer fits. So, I zip tied it to the two open bolt holes on the strut tower.
Old 10-21-2002, 07:42 PM

Re: Re: Re: FINALLY installed Berk Mid..thoughts (long)

Originally posted by Texasguy

Well, that was my point. I have the MAF bracket from the Berk intake, but addtionally, we have a bracket that attaches to the bottom of the fender to secure it. This bracket is the one that no longer fits. So, I zip tied it to the two open bolt holes on the strut tower.
Yeah I see, well FrankenCar came with bracket that connects to strut tower. Here is picture of it: http://frankencar.com/stevepic/int1.jpg

It secures the whole intake very well.
Old 10-21-2002, 07:53 PM

something ain't right. others have installed the midpipe and intake without any undue problems with fitment. got any pics??