5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Air Box Filter Silencer

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2000, 01:00 PM

I think that the silencer you guys are talking about is a big white box under the batery base that is connected with an L shape elbow to front section of the air box. I suggest to ask the service Mgr about it.
Old 12-24-2000, 01:44 PM
PRINCE NISMO

I saw that White Box also, when I put in my aftermarket intake and thought about removing it...you know to save weight but decided to leave it in for warranty reasons and a good thing I did 2 weeks later an (02) sensor went bad and I had to put the stock air box back in so nothing would look altered and so I would'nt have any problems at the dealer.

Old 12-24-2000, 01:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You may be right, Pepo . . .

I'm no mechanic, but I can't figure out what that white box would be for other than to act as a silencer. My only concern in disconnecting it and leaving the elbow in place would be possible water intake. If that's a concern, I suppose you could remove the box and cap the elbow. I wonder what effect that would have on the sound of the intake?
Old 12-25-2000, 09:46 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

The PR CAI instruction states that the white box is the silencer.
Old 12-25-2000, 02:53 PM

Re: You may be right, Pepo . (Air Box Silencer)

Hi Kevin, I just found out that the white box is not the silencer. I took out the L-elbow joint and did not make any difference in sound, Im convinced that the silencer is the whole air box itself and the white box is an additional air source. When I took out the elbow, I went for a ride around and make two tests one with the upper box hole covered with a cap and one uncovered, both ways felt the car slower. So with the two boxes connected the white and the black the car runs better. This convinced me again that many times the factory engineers get the most performance out of their setings. I have own both the Stilen Hi Flow and the PR CAI and right now I have the Stock Air Box with the Stilen YPipe and runs pretty good. But for optimal power I think the CAI is better but not by far! Take care.

Originally posted by y2kse
I'm no mechanic, but I can't figure out what that white box would be for other than to act as a silencer. My only concern in disconnecting it and leaving the elbow in place would be possible water intake. If that's a concern, I suppose you could remove the box and cap the elbow. I wonder what effect that would have on the sound of the intake?
Old 12-25-2000, 06:02 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Hi Jose... that's interesting. Can you tell where the white box might be getting air from? If you can... maybe someone can fabricate a CAI (no cutting necessary) that directs cold air from the outside. Hmmmmmm.......
Old 12-28-2000, 12:14 PM

The White Box

Hi Kevin, the white box takes the air from the main innlet at the top of the radiator then goes thrue the elbow connector, so it has fresh air available all the time,take care!

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Hi Jose... that's interesting. Can you tell where the white box might be getting air from? If you can... maybe someone can fabricate a CAI (no cutting necessary) that directs cold air from the outside. Hmmmmmm.......
Old 12-28-2000, 12:44 PM
Pele ain't got nothing on me

I bypassed The White Box

What a coincidence!! I, too, put my airbox back on (I just wasn't satisfied with the Pop Charger) and fabricated a CAI. I bought a 4" dia air intake tube from my local auto parts store, removed that L-shaped plastic piece, clamped on the tube to the inlet on the main airbox (the inlet that the L-shaped piece fitted on) and fastened the other end of the 4" dia tube to the edge of the plastic panel under the car. So it's sucking pure unrestricted cold air..ahhhh!! It is a bit low but at least I can remove it easily if it rains too hard. Oh, BTW, I also bought and put in a K&N drop in filter charger.

The result is significant. The car's response is DEFINITELY better. I can really feel the difference and I bu!!**** you not. Anyway, I will be going to the track on Saturday and will let you all know how significant next week....

Peace...
Old 12-28-2000, 08:59 PM

Help me out here . . .

It appears that the only fresh air source is from the main inlet at the top of the radiator and that the white box is sealed. If that's the case, what function does the white box serve if it's not a silencer?
Old 12-29-2000, 09:04 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: The White Box

Originally posted by Pepo
Hi Kevin, the white box takes the air from the main innlet at the top of the radiator then goes thrue the elbow connector, so it has fresh air available all the time,take care!
Hi Jose, I totally forgot about that. The black inlet splits off...
Old 12-29-2000, 09:48 AM

Re: I bypassed The White Box

Originally posted by 2K2DEMAX
What a coincidence!! I, too, put my airbox back on (I just wasn't satisfied with the Pop Charger) and fabricated a CAI. I bought a 4" dia air intake tube from my local auto parts store, removed that L-shaped plastic piece, clamped on the tube to the inlet on the main airbox (the inlet that the L-shaped piece fitted on) and fastened the other end of the 4" dia tube to the edge of the plastic panel under the car. So it's sucking pure unrestricted cold air..ahhhh!!
Sounds like you may be on to something, 2K2DEMAX. I just checked with my dealer and they told me the white box is definitely a resonator. That being the case, it appears that anyone can disconnect it and create a CAI for the price of some 4" diameter tubing!

In addition, water is heavier than air. Even if you submerge the lower air inlet completely, the upper air inlet should prevent water from being sucked up into the engine.

WAY TO GO !!!

PS: I just received a copy of the Air Cleaner diagram from my dealer. The part you want to remove is the elbow, Part Number 16587M. Then connect the tubing to the underside of the main air inlet, Part Number 16577, and voila. You've just created a dual cold air inlet.

[Edited by y2kse on 12-29-2000 at 11:59 AM]
Old 12-29-2000, 04:26 PM

Re: Re: I bypassed The White Box

The dealer is wrong, the white box is not a resonator, it is an additional source of fresh air received from the main innlet at top of the radiator. The engine sucks additional air thrue the elbow from the white box, got it, its easy!

What a coincidence!! I, too, put my airbox back on (I just wasn't satisfied with the Pop Charger) and fabricated a CAI. I bought a 4" dia air intake tube from my local auto parts store, removed that L-shaped plastic piece, clamped on the tube to the inlet on the main airbox (the inlet that the L-shaped piece fitted on) and fastened the other end of the 4" dia tube to the edge of the plastic panel under the car. So it's sucking pure unrestricted cold air..ahhhh!!
Sounds like you may be on to something, 2K2DEMAX. I just checked with my dealer and they told me the white box is definitely a resonator. That being the case, it appears that anyone can disconnect it and create a CAI for the price of some 4" diameter tubing!

In addition, water is heavier than air. Even if you submerge the lower air inlet completely, the upper air inlet should prevent water from being sucked up into the engine.

WAY TO GO !!!

PS: I just received a copy of the Air Cleaner diagram from my dealer. The part you want to remove is the elbow, Part Number 16587M. Then connect the tubing to the underside of the main air inlet, Part Number 16577, and voila. You've just created a dual cold air inlet.

[Edited by y2kse on 12-29-2000 at 11:59 AM]
Old 12-29-2000, 05:05 PM

Re: Re: Re: I bypassed The White Box

The dealer is wrong, the white box is not a resonator, it is an additional source of fresh air received from the main innlet at top of the radiator. The engine sucks additional air thrue the elbow from the white box, got it, its easy!
Sorry, Pepo. You are incorrect. The portion of the Model A33B 165-A01 Air Cleaner that contains the white box is Nissan Part Number 16580T. The description of that Part Number is "Resonator Assembly". If you don't believe me, call your local Nissan dealer and find out for yourself.
Old 12-29-2000, 05:47 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: I bypassed The White Box

I still think that the main function of the white box is an additional air source to the engine. A resonator for me is a part that has to do with sound modification or a silencer. Do yourself the test, disconect the plastic conector(elbow)from the "resonator", go for a ride and see if you hear a louder sound. They might refer to it as a resonator but after you make the test and take a good look at the system again, probably you agree with me.
From now on I will call it the "AASR BOX" Additional Air Source Resonator Box, for a happy medium, what ya think!

Sorry, Pepo. You are incorrect. The portion of the Model A33B 165-A01 Air Cleaner that contains the white box is Nissan Part Number 16580T. The description of that Part Number is "Resonator Assembly". If you don't believe me, call your local Nissan dealer and find out for yourself.
Old 12-29-2000, 05:57 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I bypassed The White Box

I still think that the main function of the white box is an additional air source to the engine. A resonator for me is a part that has to do with sound modification or a silencer. Do yourself the test, disconect the plastic conector(elbow)from the "resonator", go for a ride and see if you hear a louder sound. They might refer to it as a resonator but after you make the test and take a good look at the system again, probably you agree with me.
From now on I will call it the "AASR BOX" Additional Air Source Resonator Box, for a happy medium, what ya think!
I'm kul with that!

[Edited by y2kse on 12-29-2000 at 08:07 PM]
Old 12-29-2000, 10:12 PM

both are correct

The white box is used as a resonator. AND it's used as a reservior. It's main purpose, as per Nissan, is a resonator. But that additional compartment for air comes mighty handy during intial/part throttle driving. This leads to better throttle response.
Old 12-30-2000, 07:10 AM

Re: both are correct

Originally posted by mhgsx
The white box is used as a resonator. AND it's used as a reservior. It's main purpose, as per Nissan, is a resonator. But that additional compartment for air comes mighty handy during intial/part throttle driving. This leads to better throttle response.
Then would you agree that removing the elbow and attaching a tube leading from the primary air inlet to a cold fresh air supply would further improve throttle response?
Old 12-30-2000, 03:31 PM

Re: Re: both are correct

Originally posted by mhgsx
Then would you agree that removing the elbow and attaching a tube leading from the primary air inlet to a cold fresh air supply would further improve throttle response?
Well...just got back from the track and I promised to give the results after setting up my fabricated CAI (bypassing the silencer).Here are the results:

Previous best was 15.01 @ 95.72 (with JWT POP intake)

Best run today: 14.85 @ 96.04 (with custom CAI)

I was hitting 14.8's all day long. Had a few 14.9's and a few blown gear shifts for 15's. So, I guess that seals it for me. I don't have to cut my fender to get my cold air.

BTW, I was at the track with Larry (madmax2k) who is a launch demon . I tried his launch techniques but still can't get it right , although I did launch a little better than my last time .

Oh, the total cost for this CAI was about $12.

Peace...
Old 12-30-2000, 03:50 PM

Re: Re: Re: both are correct

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 2K2DEMAX
Well...just got back from the track and I promised to give the results after setting up my fabricated CAI (bypassing the silencer).
AWESOME! Now the next test would be to have someone who's installed a Place Racing CAI on their 5th Gen put their stock airbox back on and try your silencer bypass technique. If it produces similar results to the Place Racing CAI, and I suspect that it will, you'll have my vote for the "5th Gen Mod of the Year" Award!
Old 12-30-2000, 08:49 PM
seansimon

Pictures of the custom mod?

ANy pictures for us? Perhaps this with a Drop-In KN?

Old 12-30-2000, 10:58 PM

Re: Pictures of the custom mod?

Originally posted by seansimon
ANy pictures for us? Perhaps this with a Drop-In KN?
I'd like to see a picture too, 2K2DEMAX. I understand how you connected one end of the 4" dia tube to the underside of the main air inlet. I'd like to see how you fastened the other end to the edge of the plastic panel under the car.
Old 01-02-2001, 06:48 PM

wow

you guys are awesome. I would never have guessed to do something like this. It makes esne though and you gotta wonder why Nissan didnt already do it. Anyone off of here whos done it, do you have a step by step guide on how to do so? its supposed to warm up here this weekend and id love to have it done then. (what parts are needed?) and anyone got any pics of it to post?

thanx!
Old 01-12-2001, 03:56 PM

Anyone have pics?

I'd love to see this. CAI sounds great, cutting fender sounds bad. CAI without cutting fender sounds double great.
Old 01-12-2001, 04:07 PM

Re: Anyone have pics?

Originally posted by punkdork
I'd love to see this. CAI sounds great, cutting fender sounds bad. CAI without cutting fender sounds double great.
I'm trying to raise 2K2DEMAX right now. Hopefully he'll respond.
Old 01-13-2001, 12:43 AM

any chance anyone can post step by step instructions...i wanted to put on a pr cai but a lot of you know about my old intake problem and i don't want to run into that again...i still have my old intake and maf if there is anyone here that is knowledgeable enough to look at them and tell me if anything is wrong (in case nissan voided the warranty for no good reason)

but i'd really like a step by step for this custom cai...maybe pics too...thanks
Old 01-13-2001, 10:46 AM

Originally posted by MrBurner
any chance anyone can post step by step instructions...
Check your e-mail.

I haven't heard from 2K2DEMAX, but the install appears to be pretty straightforward. Locate the elbow piece (P/N 16587M) that connects the underside of the air inlet (P/N 16577) to the air silencer (no part number available, but you'll see it in the diagram). Remove the elbow, attach one end of the tubing to the bottom of the air inlet, connect the other end of the tubing to a cold air source (look around, you'll find someplace to attach it to) and voila, you're done.
Old 01-13-2001, 10:01 PM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
I'm thinking about making my own CAI once it gets a bit warmer outside. Just have to find a MAF adaptor, and get a cone filter attach it to the adaptor, take out all the hoses, and things that came with the stock air box/passages, and feed a duct from underneath the bumper to the filter area, so it's kind of like a ram air but with a filter that's not enclosed in a box. That's just one idea, another one is to make something that is similar to PR's model...
Old 01-14-2001, 12:04 AM

wait...so this custom cai uses the stock box and filter?

i've heard of a lot of problems w/ water getting into cai's...can this happen w/ this one?

so you are basically saying that i detach the y-arm and attach a piece of piping that is about the same size as the arm...then run it down as low as i can get it? where would be a good place? i notice the 2k max racecar has it in the foglight hole but i have fogs there...how long is the average pipe gonna be?
Old 01-14-2001, 12:12 AM

with this custom cai do you get a similar noise to a place racing cai or is it closer to stock?
Old 01-18-2001, 05:44 AM

Re: Re: Anyone have pics?

I'm trying to raise 2K2DEMAX right now. Hopefully he'll respond. [/I]
I'll find him. 2K2DEMAX lives in Tampa.

When he was at the track, he was very pleased with the airbox mod.
Old 01-18-2001, 05:47 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: both are correct

AWESOME! Now the next test would be to have someone who's installed a Place Racing CAI on their 5th Gen put their stock airbox back on and try your silencer bypass technique. If it produces similar results to the Place Racing CAI, and I suspect that it will, you'll have my vote for the "5th Gen Mod of the Year" Award!
[/I]
Awww....I guess I could maybe be convinced to pull Mad Max out of retirement for that and reinstall the airbox with Jeromes's (2K2DEMAX) bypass. We shall see. Ill speak with Jerome about it.
Old 01-18-2001, 07:18 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: both are correct

Originally posted by madmax2k

I guess I could maybe be convinced to pull Mad Max out of retirement for that and reinstall the airbox with Jeromes's (2K2DEMAX) bypass. We shall see. Ill speak with Jerome about it.
That would be very cool, Larry, particularly as Jerome seems to have completely dropped out of sight, didn't bother to leave an e-mail address behind so we could ask him questions about his install, and won't respond to requests for information I've posted on the forum. Check out:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=18507

If you run into Jerome, I've got two specific questions for him. What kind of air intake tubing did he use and where did he connect the tubing under the car?
Old 01-18-2001, 07:27 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: both are correct

Originally posted by madmax2k

I guess I could maybe be convinced to pull Mad Max out of retirement for that and reinstall the airbox with Jeromes's (2K2DEMAX) bypass. We shall see. Ill speak with Jerome about it.
That would be very cool, Larry, particularly as Jerome seems to have completely dropped out of sight, didn't bother to leave an e-mail address behind so we could ask him questions about his install, and won't respond to requests for information I've posted on the forum. Check out:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=18507

If you run into Jerome, I've got two specific questions for him. What kind of air intake tubing did he use and where did he connect the tubing under the car?
OK...Ill find him and ask those questions....
Old 01-18-2001, 09:35 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Hmmmm...this mod has got me thinking about my 4th Gen intake. I'm currently running a HKS intake which is a kind of POP charger. It's loud and I'm kind of getting sick of the noise. I'm gonna give this intake mod a try. Listen up guys, I've got some new ideas.

The resonator that sits between the throttle body and MAF really quiets the intake noise a lot and I believe it to be a restriction. Recently, I was able to fabricate my HKS intake in a way that it removes this resonator box and I'm using extra hose and "T" fittings to correctly run the vacumn hoses that go into this resonator. You can buy the same piece that is used on the Place Racing CAI (Place Racing charges $60 for the part). I recommend you buy it.

Currently I have a 2.5" vacumn cleaner hose (from Sears) that is snaked from under the nose and right up to the side of the HKS filter. All I need to do is trim the hose to fit it to the intake elbow. This is the best way I've found to run the hose and it should work on the 5th gen. On the drivers side bumper under the car, there is a tow hook. You can zip tie or fasten the intake hose to this. You'll then take the hose and run it inbetween the two black mud/dirt deflectors under the car. I trimmed inbetween these two panels to make the hose fit. Then bring the hose up to the intake elbow and connect the best way you can (glue, rubber hose, whatever). I used a Vornado fan that generates about 20mph of wind and I placed it in front of the hose and bumper. It does flow a good amount of air, so I assume it would do fine at speed.

What I like about this possible intake mod is that it should be pretty quiet, won't heat soak, will make possibly better torque, you can use the famous Mustang owner line of "oh, it's stock ", and I can use my HKS intake on my wife's Altima I'll let you guys know what my butt dyno says.

Dave
Old 01-18-2001, 10:22 AM

What white box?

Under the battery?....
umm
is this just 5th gen or does 4th gen have it too?
well anyhow...that sounds real good...a 10 HP gain from a simple mods...best bang for the buck
=]
I guess I just gonna have to open my car again today
Old 01-18-2001, 10:44 AM
Got Bent?

Re: What white box?

Originally posted by Zprime
Under the battery?....
umm
is this just 5th gen or does 4th gen have it too?
well anyhow...that sounds real good...a 10 HP gain from a simple mods...best bang for the buck
=]
I guess I just gonna have to open my car again today
Yup, the white box under the battery is the so-called silencer/air-box. Though, didn't someone mention that bypassing the white box made no difference in noise? If so, then I guess it is not much of a silencer.
Old 01-18-2001, 11:47 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

On the 4th gen, the box is black. Also, IT IS A RESONATOR.

Dave
Old 01-19-2001, 06:15 AM

Sorry about that y2kse.........

I was bogged down at work with some unfinished projects then had to go to a conference for a week.

Anyway, I'll try to describe the intake system below:

Parts

1) 4" intake tubing (it's plastic with metall ribbing which enables it to be extensible). It was about $12 (could be more, I can't remember exactly). I got it at Advanced Auto Parts (I think NAPA auto parts has it too).

2) 4" to 3" flex coupling. This I got at Home Depot-> $8. It has clamps at both ends.

3) A 4" diameter drain grate to attach to the end of the intake tubing (optional). I did it to keep large objects (leaves, etc.) from being sucked up.

4) A clamp to attach the grate in (3) to the tubing. $1.50

Installation

1) Remove the elbow plastic piece attaching the ram air system to the "white box"
2) Since I could not get under my car, I removed the ram air system
a) remove the two clips by the radiator
b) unscrew the bolt holding the boost sensor
c) remove the intake temperature sensor from the ram air system

3) Attach one end of the 4" tubing to the 4" end of the flex coupling. Clamp it.

4) If you are not using anything at the other end of the tubing then skip this step. Otherwise, clamp the grate (or mesh) to the other end of the intake tube.

5) Clamp the 3" end of the flex coupling to the 3" ram air inlet (where the elbow piece connected to).

6) Replace the ram air system, if it was removed.

7) Now, I used velcro to hold the other end of the tube to the plastic panel at the base of the car. So far, it holds it firm. I've never had to touch it. If anyone has any ideas about connecting the tube to the base of the car, please post it.

I do have a picture of it but not on this PC. I'll try to post it either tonight or tomorrow.

Again, sorry about disappearing like that,

Peace....
Old 01-19-2001, 07:02 AM

Re: Sorry about that y2kse.........

I was bogged down at work with some unfinished projects then had to go to a conference for a week.
Good to see you back 2K2DEMAX. Thanks for posting the procedure you used to install your Air Silencer CAI.

I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures.
Old 01-19-2001, 07:48 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Here's my setup on my 96 Max.

-I used a section of 2.5" vacumn hose from Sears. I zip tied the hose to the tow hook under the drivers side bumper. I then ran the hose up to the elbow on the intake inlet and it literally snapped into place!!!! I took a little silcone glue and popped it into place.

-Bought a K&N filter panel $39

-Removed the intake resonator sitting between the MAF and throttle body using some parts off my old HKS intake.

-all done!!!

My car is much quieter and I can't tell a difference in acceleration between the HKS and this setup. Since the car is much quieter, the car doesn't sound as fast. I did a test against my buddies Civic Si and I pulled the same distance I always do on him from 40-85mph. Instead of a deep and loud wail at WOT, the Max has a whoooosh sound. The car is a lot smoother at WOT too.

Dave