5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

attn: adiophiles: Just wanna add a small sub...

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2002, 07:42 AM

attn: adiophiles: Just wanna add a small sub...

Fellow adiophiles, my max has the midrange system available when the 2k max first came out. CD, tape (used once lol) and 5 speakers, fronts up in dash, and rears in back seat near your feet. All totally factory. The sound is not bad, but lacks just a little more in the low freq range. I have a killer home system, so I didnt need one in the car, and didnt have the $ at the time I bought the max.

1. Is it real tough just to add a small (or the smallest available) powered sub in the trunk, or maybe the rear lid? (that has a place to add another speaker, probably the one that comes with the optional bose)

I'd imagine wiring power and signal wires will be tough to do correctly.

2. Will this powered sub have alot of noise at lower volumes?

3. Would a local car audio joint cost a ton of bucks to just add a sub? (if its indeed possible)

Thanks guys in advance!!
Gary
Old 10-22-2002, 07:50 AM

Re: attn: adiophiles: Just wanna add a small sub...

Originally posted by Y2KSilvahSE
Fellow adiophiles, my max has the midrange system available when the 2k max first came out. CD, tape (used once lol) and 5 speakers, fronts up in dash, and rears in back seat near your feet. All totally factory. The sound is not bad, but lacks just a little more in the low freq range. I have a killer home system, so I didnt need one in the car, and didnt have the $ at the time I bought the max.

1. Is it real tough just to add a small (or the smallest available) powered sub in the trunk, or maybe the rear lid? (that has a place to add another speaker, probably the one that comes with the optional bose)

I'd imagine wiring power and signal wires will be tough to do correctly.

2. Will this powered sub have alot of noise at lower volumes?

3. Would a local car audio joint cost a ton of bucks to just add a sub? (if its indeed possible)

Thanks guys in advance!!
Gary
Lot's of options there. Anything from a $40 8" powered sub from Wal-Mart to a $1000 custom box system. Depends on what you want. If you're keeping the stock setup, the easiest way would be to tap into one of the rear speakers and run that to the line-level input of an amp.

I'd recommend you go to your local Best Buy/Curcuit City type place and have them install a 10" woofer in one of those Q-sound ported boxes with a modest size amp, like 200 RMS. Anything more would be overkill with the stock system. If I'm not mistaken, those places usually have low install costs.
Old 10-22-2002, 07:51 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Look around for an Infinity Basslink ($200 online). A lot of members are adding this to their system because it makes a pretty good level of sound, weighs 14lbs, and comes with a remote level control. Do a search, it's pretty easy to install (very easy actually). Do it yourself and save on the 2 hours of labor the shop would charge.
Old 10-22-2002, 07:56 AM

Originally posted by MaxSE2k
Look around for an Infinity Basslink ($200 online). A lot of members are adding this to their system because it makes a pretty good level of sound, weighs 14lbs, and comes with a remote level control. Do a search, it's pretty easy to install (very easy actually). Do it yourself and save on the 2 hours of labor the shop would charge.
There you go, that's perfect for you.
Old 10-22-2002, 08:00 AM
Very sound, Mike

Another vote for the Basslink
Old 10-22-2002, 02:47 PM

Thanks Kojiro & MaxSE2k. Basslink it is! With the shape my back is in, I'll slide them a c note (or whatever) and avoid the pain.

Thanks again boys...happy listening!

I'll report back when the mod is done.

Old 10-22-2002, 02:57 PM

Thanks Kojiro & MaxSE2k. Basslink it is! With the shape my back is in, I'll slide them a c note (or whatever) and avoid the pain.

Thanks again boys...happy listening!

I'll report back when the mod is done.

Fill up your gas tank, pick up some brew, and we can take an afternoon and do it. Oh - 1 catch, help me locate some old girlie girls in Leominster that I met some time ago I'm like 2 hrs from ya, but what the hell, nothing like some foliage peeping.
Old 10-22-2002, 07:19 PM

I bought a basslink at The Wiz it is a store on Long Island that just closed it was 30% off so i got it for $200. It was sooo easy to install. The sound is amazing except for the rattle from the trunk which is unavoidable. Otherwise its amazing. The hardest part is figuring out which speaker wires are which in the back.
Old 10-22-2002, 09:11 PM

Originally posted by AE Majestic Blu
I bought a basslink at The Wiz it is a store on Long Island that just closed it was 30% off so i got it for $200. It was sooo easy to install. The sound is amazing except for the rattle from the trunk which is unavoidable. Otherwise its amazing. The hardest part is figuring out which speaker wires are which in the back.
doing a search, i have found multiple different methods of installing the basslink. what's the simpliest way? i'm thinking of tapping into the power and speaker wires before going into the factory "amp" in the trunk. will that work instead of drilling through the fire wall and directly powering to the battery and tapping into the door speakers?
Old 10-22-2002, 10:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Where can you get it online for $200?
Old 10-23-2002, 05:04 AM

Originally posted by BlackMax2k1
Where can you get it online for $200?
http://www.carstereo2000.com comes w/ remote bass control for about $200
Old 10-23-2002, 05:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

http://www.carstereo2000.com comes w/ remote bass control for about $200
Any place else besides that ghetto website?
Old 10-23-2002, 05:29 AM

Originally posted by BlackMax2k1

Any place else besides that ghetto website?
Look around - ebay maybe... they're usually the ones on ebay that sell the most. There's others out there. The search function works nicely too.
Old 10-23-2002, 07:38 AM

Fill up your gas tank, pick up some brew, and we can take an afternoon and do it. Oh - 1 catch, help me locate some old girlie girls in Leominster that I met some time ago I'm like 2 hrs from ya, but what the hell, nothing like some foliage peeping.
Sounds good basically, but my fiance/ wont like the girlie-girl part

Plus...the weather lately stinks...snowin here today and no garage available for me...I'm in a condo.
Old 10-23-2002, 07:42 AM

I am kind of wandering to, I know that a few person in this board has replace their stock bose with a better sub.
but I am not sure either how to tap the wire for power and speaker input before the stock amp or somewhere else
Old 10-23-2002, 07:42 AM

Sounds good basically, but my fiance/ wont like the girlie-girl part

Plus...the weather lately stinks...snowin here today and no garage available for me...I'm in a condo.
Girlies for me! I'm just trying to find some old friends that I've lost touch with...
Old 10-23-2002, 07:45 AM

Originally posted by exunaja
I am kind of wandering to, I know that a few person in this board has replace their stock bose with a better sub.
but I am not sure either how to tap the wire for power and speaker input before the stock amp or somewhere else
Someone correct me if I am wrong...but It might not matter which one of the speaker wires you use for the signal wire going to the sub. Then all you need is the power line.

I am not sure about that though...
Old 10-23-2002, 07:47 AM

Run new power from the battery... the install kit comes with wires to tap into all 8 speaker wires, this way the sub won't fade out from front/rear. The easiest place to tap in is behind the head unit, and just run everything back together. You don't need a remote turn on because the Basslink detects signal from the speaker inputs and automatically turns itself on.