5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Ordered replacement coil packs for my Max today

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2002, 05:35 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Ordered replacement coil packs for my Max today

Took my Max into Mossy Nissan down the street from my work for an oil change, rattle on the top left of the dash and pinging under hard acceleration.

After picking up my car the dash rattle seems to be gone (so far) and I told them to put my timing back to normal spec (they retarted it last time for the pinging)and check out the coil packs. They heard the pinging and said it was the "dense air" that my Injen intake provides and I told them that wasn't true and told them to replace all the coil packs. Well, after talking to the service manager, they ordered all 6 coil packs and should have them in by next week.

I'll keep you guys posted on the results. Anyone else here experiencing pinging under load with an aftermarket intake?
Old 10-23-2002, 06:23 PM

Re: Ordered replacement coil packs for my Max today

Originally posted by maximadave
Took my Max into Mossy Nissan down the street from my work for an oil change, rattle on the top left of the dash and pinging under hard acceleration.

After picking up my car the dash rattle seems to be gone (so far) and I told them to put my timing back to normal spec (they retarted it last time for the pinging)and check out the coil packs. They heard the pinging and said it was the "dense air" that my Injen intake provides and I told them that wasn't true and told them to replace all the coil packs. Well, after talking to the service manager, they ordered all 6 coil packs and should have them in by next week.

I'll keep you guys posted on the results. Anyone else here experiencing pinging under load with an aftermarket intake?
Sounds like a pile of crap to me. Nissan dealers
Old 10-23-2002, 10:24 PM

Do u have 2k2? I thought detonation (TSB on ignition coils) was the problem for 2k-2k1...Nissan should have fixed the problem for 2k2????

Weird...
Old 10-23-2002, 11:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Ordered replacement coil packs for my Max today

Originally posted by MaxTuner

Do u have 2k2? I thought detonation (TSB on ignition coils) was the problem for 2k-2k1...Nissan should have fixed the problem for 2k2????

Weird...
I think i do..but im not exactly sure what to listen for..cuz ive got a buncha rattles going on...=T
Old 10-24-2002, 07:37 AM

Hey Maxiadave,

I don't notice any pinging under load.

As you know I just installed the Maxspeed and have been driving around with my radio off to listen for any strange noises. So far nothing from the exterior, but damn I'm starting to notice little squeaks and occasional "ticking". .

I will probably have a car load this weekend so I will try to listen for some pinging and report it. Keep us posted on your "quest" with the service department. Hope it works out for you.
Old 10-24-2002, 01:39 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

I hope this will solve my problem. The service mgr there told me they have had problems with the 2K2 and 2K3 Altima coil packs and have been replacing them.

I'll keep you guys posted on the results.