5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

This drought needs to end!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2002, 05:02 AM
swallac2

This drought needs to end!!!

Over 2 months since I washed my car. We are under water restrictions so no self washing. I don't trust my car to a car wash, so I am stuck. I have been through the local no touch (high preasure water) spray, but that really don't clean the car well.

Sorry had to vent, looking at my dirt ball on the way to work today just p'd me off.

Old 10-24-2002, 06:23 AM

Re: This drought needs to end!!!

Originally posted by swallac2
Over 2 months since I washed my car. We are under water restrictions so no self washing. I don't trust my car to a car wash, so I am stuck. I have been through the local no touch (high preasure water) spray, but that really don't clean the car well.

Sorry had to vent, looking at my dirt ball on the way to work today just p'd me off.
Yea, I know the feeling dude...

1 way to "kind of" get around it is to wait till 3am...then wash it verrryyy quietly...by the time sunrise comes everything will be dry

I wouldnt make this a practice...but going 2 months without a bath for your max is a sin, which I'm sure you know...

Droughts do suk tho, not alot U can do.
Old 10-24-2002, 06:44 AM
jjs

Come on down to Houston! All it has done for days is rain or threaten to. Culverts full, yards soaked. Actually for the past month or two, weekends have rained pretty consistently...enough for me to put off washing the car for the exact opposite reasons you have.

And believe me, a black Max (there to keep it on topic) fouled up by rain, road debris, etc. is NOT a pretty sight.
Old 10-24-2002, 06:56 AM

I have been washing with rain water. I just wear a raincoat.
Old 10-24-2002, 07:10 AM

I am guilty of ignoring all drought related water use restrictions.

in other words......my cars is clean
Old 10-24-2002, 07:32 AM

Have you ever considered waterless car washing products. I have had guys come up to me while I was detailing my car trying to get me to buy some but I told them I prefer my good ole Zaino. The product seems pretty good though. They were willing to give me a 32oz bottle of the stuff if I gave them my Zaino. Ain't no way in H3ll I was going to do that!v
Old 10-24-2002, 07:56 AM
Blu
the tits

I go to one of the self serve car washes if you call it that. I just bring a bucket and sponge even though its not allowed. Never use those brushes they have unless you want body graphics.
Old 10-24-2002, 10:12 AM

Originally posted by perrymaxima
Have you ever considered waterless car washing products. I have had guys come up to me while I was detailing my car trying to get me to buy some but I told them I prefer my good ole Zaino. The product seems pretty good though. They were willing to give me a 32oz bottle of the stuff if I gave them my Zaino. Ain't no way in H3ll I was going to do that!v
I have used the waterless car wash stuff. It's not bad as long your car isn't caked with mud or seriously dirty. It leaves a nice shiny, smooth finish and doesn't seem to scratch. You have to use cotton terry cloth for application/removal. I used it on my 91 Max occasionally and on my Toyota pickup. I haven't used it on my new Max yet because I haven't had to. In a pinch it would probably work.
Old 10-24-2002, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by blubyu2k2
I go to one of the self serve car washes if you call it that. I just bring a bucket and sponge even though its not allowed. Never use those brushes they have unless you want body graphics.
I can't tell you how many fights I got into for doing just that!

People get all upset when you use a bucket there because they want to hose off their POS in 3 minutes.

Anytime someone gave me a hassle, I would just pull out a **** load of quarters and say "do you want me to run this ALL day????" HA HA
Old 10-24-2002, 01:02 PM

Originally posted by spta97

I can't tell you how many fights I got into for doing just that!

People get all upset when you use a bucket there because they want to hose off their POS in 3 minutes.

Anytime someone gave me a hassle, I would just pull out a **** load of quarters and say "do you want me to run this ALL day????" HA HA
And I thought that I had developed that technique! It also works when the attendant tries to prevent me from using my own bucket, sponge and hose. If I really want to tick them off, I'll stay in the bay and dry the car with the meter running. Luckily, here in NJ they just announced relaxed water restrictions today - you can wash your car in the driveway on weekends. My Maxima is always clean, but the old Sentra is looking a little neglected -- of course, its supposed to rain this weekend. Cruel fate...
Old 10-25-2002, 06:18 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

FYI....

Water restrictions have been somewhat lifted. We can now wash on weekends!

This applies to New Jersey. Check your local laws.
Old 10-25-2002, 06:29 AM

Re: This drought needs to end!!!

swallac2, get yourself "Prolong's Waterless Wash n' Shine." The stuff is great! I used to be able to find it at PeP Boys or Twin Bee Auto stores. Now, I order it directly from them. No hose, no water bucket...just need some clean soft towels (just wash them after using them). I use it on all my cars (except the Vette...since it never sees rain...I use Mequiar's Quick Detailer for that).
Trust me this stuff works!
Call them directly to order: 949-587-2700
Old 10-25-2002, 06:38 AM

Re: Re: This drought needs to end!!!

Originally posted by Mark S.
swallac2, get yourself "Prolong's Waterless Wash n' Shine." The stuff is great! I used to be able to find it at PeP Boys or Twin Bee Auto stores. Now, I order it directly from them. No hose, no water bucket...just need some clean soft towels (just wash them after using them). I use it on all my cars (except the Vette...since it never sees rain...I use Mequiar's Quick Detailer for that).
Trust me this stuff works!
Call them directly to order: 949-587-2700
How much does it cost and do you think it would be a good Idea to use with zaino?
Old 10-25-2002, 06:48 AM

Re: Re: Re: This drought needs to end!!!

perrymaxima,

I now only buy the 64oz refill bottles ($19.95). You will also need to order the 17oz (might be 16oz) sprayer bottle which obviously contains the product (about $8.00). The regular 17oz bottle is enough to a complete car about 5-7 times. Buy the refill and you will really save.
Prolong's Waterless Wash n' Shine has it's own polish in it. You can still Zaino on your usual schedule. I use it almost daily especially after any rain, etc., on my Mustang (my daily driver), my son's Neon, and the Maxima (my wife drives that).
I've been using it for the last 2 years (way before our water restictions were imposed).

It's fast, easy, leaves a great shine (and it's easy to clean the next time around).

Here's the orginial ad:
"Wash your car without water

Prolong Waterless Wash & Shine is a revolutionary new method of washing and shining your car in less than 15 minutes without water. No buckets, no hoses no rinsing and drying! It is simply sprayed onto the surface and wiped dry. With Prolong Waterless Wash & Shine you can conveniently and quickly wash your vehicle anywhere, anytime. The unique formulation dissolves dirt and stains such as tree sap and bugs; special lubricating agents encapsulate the dirt so that it can easily be wiped off a car’s delicate surface without scratching. It also leaves a protective film that provides gloss, color enhancement and smoothness that conventional car washes fail to deliver."
Old 10-25-2002, 09:31 AM
swallac2

Re: Re: Re: Re: This drought needs to end!!!

perrymaxima,

I now only buy the 64oz refill bottles ($19.95). You will also need to order the 17oz (might be 16oz) sprayer bottle which obviously contains the product (about $8.00). The regular 17oz bottle is enough to a complete car about 5-7 times. Buy the refill and you will really save.
Prolong's Waterless Wash n' Shine has it's own polish in it. You can still Zaino on your usual schedule. I use it almost daily especially after any rain, etc., on my Mustang (my daily driver), my son's Neon, and the Maxima (my wife drives that).
I've been using it for the last 2 years (way before our water restictions were imposed).

It's fast, easy, leaves a great shine (and it's easy to clean the next time around).

Here's the orginial ad:

Prolong Waterless Wash & Shine is a revolutionary new method of washing and shining your car in less than 15 minutes without water. No buckets, no hoses no rinsing and drying! It is simply sprayed onto the surface and wiped dry. With Prolong Waterless Wash & Shine you can conveniently and quickly wash your vehicle anywhere, anytime. The unique formulation dissolves dirt and stains such as tree sap and bugs; special lubricating agents encapsulate the dirt so that it can easily be wiped off a car’s delicate surface without scratching. It also leaves a protective film that provides gloss, color enhancement and smoothness that conventional car washes fail to deliver."
Hey Mark thanks I may need to try that. I have heard of that stuff but have never tried it. I don't have mudd or anything on the car so it ought to be ok. I'll pick it up this weekend and give it a try.

Water Restrictions are still on in Md. I know it's petty, given that farmers are loosing crops and people's wells are drying up but dagg I just want a clean the car. They were even talking about trucking water in to one of the towns because they are so dry. Recent rains may have helped them though. The town is Frederick, right were the our friendly snipers were caught.

Thanks
Steve

Old 10-25-2002, 09:49 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This drought needs to end!!!

Steve, yes, definitely try it. You will not be dissapointed. Like I said, it's difficult to find (you can find their other products usually), but the Waterless Wash n' Shine for some reason didn't sell as well. People just can't get used to not using the bucket and hose. Well, now we don't have a choice (I can't even use my well down here in Va Beach). But like I said, I've used it for a long time...great results! Just be sure to wash your soft towels after your done (have them ready for the next "waterless wash.") All my cars (less the Vette) carry a bottle of it and a small towel just in case I need it when I'm on the road). You can use it on your windows...but I'd rather use Windex, etc., and save the product for the painted surfaces, wheels, etc.

I have had to call them directly (949-587-2700) for the past year in order to get the stuff. Their main office is located in Van Nuys, CA.
To me, Waterless Wash n' Shine is "liquid gold."

Yes, I'm glad that they've caught that SOB and his accomplice. We were getting worried down here when he wrecked havoc in Ashland (just north of Richmond).
Old 10-25-2002, 12:34 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: This drought needs to end!!!

perrymaxima,

Here's the orginial ad:

Another quick ? what is the website that I can order it from or is it sold in stores. There's a guy around here selling something simular but he wants $25 for it says the local Mercedes dealership uses the same stuff.
Old 10-28-2002, 04:05 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This drought needs to end!!!

perrymaxima, you can try their website at www.prolong.com
I just call them at 1-949-587-2700
Old 10-28-2002, 05:07 AM
swallac2

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This drought needs to end!!!

perrymaxima, you can try their website at www.prolong.com
I just call them at 1-949-587-2700
Thanks Mark, I went to look for the stuff yesterday and had no luck, I'll just order it from them.

Thanks
Steve

Old 10-28-2002, 09:13 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This drought needs to end!!!

Steve, just remember they're located in California...so give them a chance to get up.