5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Halfway done my Spring install... Need advice on rears.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2002, 09:25 PM

Halfway done my Spring install... Need advice on rears. (All Done Now)

I received my MaxSpeed springs yesterday and decided to install them myself. I have installed springs on a Mustang before so I figured I could do this. (I wasn't too sure 3 hours in)

I started with 2 jacks, 2 floor stands, wrenches and sockets. (Oh ya and some picture hanging wire.)

I started with the front.

I do not have spring compressors so I jacked under each spring after the wheels were off to compress them and then used the picture hanging wire to wrap them up so they would stay compressed. This does work but use lots of wire; you don't want these things springing apart while you have them halfway out.

Over all the fronts went pretty smooth after I figured out I needed the car in neutral so I could move the front axles to get everything lined up and bolted in place.(4 hours by my self)

I am doing the back springs tomorrow and I would really appreciate any advice on what I have to do or will run into.

Thanks in advance,

Bootre...
Old 10-26-2002, 09:49 PM
Very sound, Mike

Get a strut spring compressor and shave a couple of hours off the install time
Old 10-26-2002, 09:55 PM

Ya, spring compressor would help. I cringe when I read that thing about the wire.

Spring compressor $20

http://www.jcwhitney.com/productnoitem.jhtml?CATID=5545
Old 10-26-2002, 09:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Do this and you will thank me later...

dont worry about emptying the trunk...

remove the back seat and the spacer in between the back seat and the trunk frame...

this will allow EASY access to the shock top bolts and will save a lot of time...no stretching/reaching/cutting/bleeding/cursing going thru the trunk to those spots.
Old 10-27-2002, 04:23 AM

Thanks for the advice.

My seats fold down on my 2k2 so I do not need to remove them.

And I cringed as well every second I had the spring in my hand when the wire was still on it.

Well I am off to do the backs.
Old 10-27-2002, 06:06 AM

Well I did remove the black steel panel behind the seats and this allowed easy access to the top strut nuts.

I have them in and the wheel on and its back onthe ground. Looks much better but I hope it does settle a little more.

Only took about an hour to do but I still have all the interior to put back together.

And no spring compressor was needed, just a floor jack to relase the pressure slowly.
Old 10-27-2002, 03:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Glad to hear and I forgot the 5th genners have the fold down not removeable like mine, I did MaximaDaves and I forgot it was as easy as fold down...hope you like them.
Old 10-27-2002, 05:00 PM

Bootre: I did this on my father's oldsmobile...

Originally posted by Bootre
And no spring compressor was needed, just a floor jack to relase the pressure slowly.

but looking at the setup on the Maxima, I thought it would be impossible to do w/o a spring compressor. What steps did you go through so that a compressor was not needed?

I've been riding around w/ just the front dropped w/ maxspeeds. Initially, the wheelgap was even front and back, but it has since settled. I think its finally time to drop the back as well.
Old 10-27-2002, 06:50 PM

The back was much easier than the front. Just remove the panel that is behind the seats when they are down and you will have easy access to the strut bolts.

Before I removed the top bolts I unbolted the bottom of the strut.

Then I put my floor jack under the strut and put a bit of pressure on it.

I removed all three bolts on the top of the strut and then slowly let the pressure of with the floor jack.

The strut came out very nice and I removed the spring and placed the new MaxSpeed over the strut.

I then put all the parts together and placed the strut in possision and applied pressure on the strut assembly with the floor jack.

With it compressed I tightened all three bolts at the top.

Now release the floor jack and you can put the bottom bolt in place with ease.

I hope this helps anyone who is going to do this on their own.