5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: What is the maximum you would be willing to spend on angel eye kits?
16.67%
28.57%
19.05%
17.86%
17.86%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

R&D for Angel eye kits in LED and Fiber Optic

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2002, 04:46 PM
2-Wheelin it...

R&D for Angel eye kits in LED and Fiber Optic

THIS IS ONLY AN EXAMPLE OF WHAT THE RING LOOKS LIKE. IT IS NOW WHAT THE LIGHTING SOURCE CONSISTS OF:

ok, i'd like to keep this thread short...i'm mainly only looking for numbers. dont' want to sound rude, i just wanna see how much interest really exists. i'm talking to a distributor and he is interested in making a custom application for angel eyes, given enough interest. i have emailed him with the offer of sending me a pair at a fair price so that i can fit them on my extra headlight (shown below in my sig) and if it:

1)looks nice
2)fits well
3)work well w/out distrubing light patterns

for now, i'm looking at simply how much are people willing to pay for these. just to shoot some numbers into your heads, BMW owners pay 350 for these in fiber optic and $175-$200 for LED applications. fiber optic rings produce about 200% brighter light than LED's and the advantage of the fiber optic ring is the light itself is located in a seperate box, so if a light blows, you simply repleace the light, which is wired to the ring. the box would mount behind the headlight housing, whereever we find a snug location, and once hte ring is installed, we dont' have to open the headlight housing again. thanx all. again, dont take this as a definite deal. this is all why R&D begins. little by little until we get a good deal.
Old 10-28-2002, 05:38 PM
Eat Naaawwwzzzzz

i want =],
hey marco, hows the tsb going'?
Old 10-28-2002, 06:55 PM
2-Wheelin it...

Originally posted by killer2002SE
i want =],
hey marco, hows the tsb going'?
although i will post more information, i've talked to the distributor and he's said that he can offer both LED anel eye kits and Fiber Optic angel eye kits. prices are half if you decide to get an LED kit. what i've set up int eh POLL is fiber optic prices. again, just vote if you're intersted. in a few days i'll have posted information and prices based on how many have considered interest. thanx guys.
Old 10-28-2002, 11:10 PM
Former Sponsor

interested
Old 10-29-2002, 06:01 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by umnitza
interested
same here
Old 10-29-2002, 06:59 AM

TOO MUCH!

Based on what I see in the picture, you're talking about $3-$5 worth of parts each, and you're saying $75 - $200?!?!?

I think with a decent markup, they should sell for no more than $30 a pair.

(2) White LEDs: $1.80
(1) Fiber optic tube: $2.00 max
(1-2) resistors: $.06
(2) wires: $0.30
Labor: 1.00
Total: $5.16- and that's being conservative!!

For anything more than $40 a pair- it's a ripoff.

(By the way... I work for an LED manufacturer)
Old 10-29-2002, 07:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Re: TOO MUCH!

Originally posted by 2K2MAXSE-RIOUS

(2) White LEDs: $1.80
(1) Fiber optic tube: $2.00 max
(1-2) resistors: $.06
(2) wires: $0.30
Labor: 1.00
Total: $5.16- and that's being conservative!!
you need 8 LEDs
Halos are $15 each - poly carbonate and you need 4
8 resistors
16 wires
there are more things

The picture is representative.
Old 10-29-2002, 07:16 AM

Why do these things cost so much? Fiber-optic and LEDs? These are now old technologies that cost pennies to manufacture, why so expensive?
Old 10-29-2002, 07:16 AM

Re: Re: TOO MUCH!

you need 8 LEDs
Halos are $15 each - poly carbonate and you need 4
8 resistors
16 wires
there are more things

The picture is representative.
Ohhh Yeahhhh... 4 lamps... duh

$15 for Halos!!?? a distributor should be able to get those or even have them custom made for no more than $2-$3. I still think that $175 is steep. Plus you have to consider the beotch it will be to install them. No thanks, but good luck anyway!
Old 10-29-2002, 07:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Re: Re: Re: TOO MUCH!

$15 for Halos!!?? a distributor should be able to get those or even have them custom made for no more than $2-$3. I still think that $175 is steep. Plus you have to consider the beotch it will be to install them. No thanks, but good luck anyway!
Well, the LED kit has significantly different parts than a Fiber optic kit.

The ONLY fiber optics available are ones in China, and you have to buy 2K' at a time, then there are Halos. Halos are not cheap, yeah, you could be making crap halos for $2-3 each, look at all the others on the market that claim they are bright, they all suck, because they cost 2-5 each

LED kits have LEDs,
Fiber Optic kits have lamps, lightboxes, fiber optics, countless other things.
Old 10-29-2002, 07:52 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

I have a strange question on this

Since that halo is "blue" would this not be another source for "patrolman caught me for my illegal lights the pig" threads.

BMW's emit a "white" light. Right? I think they are neat, but am not willing to crack my lens case for one. Plus I would also be worried about attracting police attention.
Old 10-29-2002, 08:17 AM
2-Wheelin it...

Re: I have a strange question on this

Originally posted by Colonel
Since that halo is "blue" would this not be another source for "patrolman caught me for my illegal lights the pig" threads.

BMW's emit a "white" light. Right? I think they are neat, but am not willing to crack my lens case for one. Plus I would also be worried about attracting police attention.
the picture at the top of the thread is an example of the halo ring. the light it emits can be blue, yellow, orange, white, or red. whichever you choose. in fact, the way the fiber optic kit is designed, you can put filters inside the light box, located outside the housing, in which you can change the colors in 2 seconds. this is an advantage over LED's where the LED package, whatever color you get is what you're stuck with.

the setup is like this...the halo ring sits inside the headlight housing. fiber lines run from the ring to a light box sitting outside the housing. your bulb sits here, which a choice of any filter in front of it. a clear filter would light the halo as a white color. change the filter (a simple plastic sheet) to any color you please and you get that color.
Old 10-29-2002, 09:20 AM
Former Sponsor

Re: Re: I have a strange question on this

Originally posted by PoLo

the picture at the top of the thread is an example of the halo ring. the light it emits can be blue, yellow, orange, white, or red. whichever you choose. in fact, the way the fiber optic kit is designed, you can put filters inside the light box, located outside the housing, in which you can change the colors in 2 seconds. this is an advantage over LED's where the LED package, whatever color you get is what you're stuck with.

the setup is like this...the halo ring sits inside the headlight housing. fiber lines run from the ring to a light box sitting outside the housing. your bulb sits here, which a choice of any filter in front of it. a clear filter would light the halo as a white color. change the filter (a simple plastic sheet) to any color you please and you get that color.
everything correct except two key point.
There is no clear filter - it's just No filter.
The filters are GLASS, putting plastic in front of the lamp will most likely melt the plastic.

for example:
Old 10-29-2002, 10:41 AM

Polo,
If you can get the price for under $100 then I am in on this deal. I'll planning on opening up my headlights to clear the orange piece anyways so if this deals goes through then I will do both at the same time. Thanks for settting up this potential deal for us! I would prefer fiber optics.
Old 10-29-2002, 11:25 AM

Re: Re: Re: TOO MUCH!

Hate me if you want but if... I take the risk of opening my $1400 housings, I want to put a quality product in there! "momey aint a thang" man... I'm in. I just hope the final product is quality!

Deac
Old 10-29-2002, 02:52 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

i'd gladly pay 150 for a set of 4 of these if they are decently bright, all the haters dont get them. people spend time and effort making stuff and you want it at cost. if your gonna hate make it yourself and see how much fun it is. thanks for helping us out and trying to get this going i'll buy a set.
Old 10-29-2002, 03:09 PM

Originally posted by dmbmaxima2k2
i'd gladly pay 150 for a set of 4 of these if they are decently bright, all the haters dont get them. people spend time and effort making stuff and you want it at cost. if your gonna hate make it yourself and see how much fun it is. thanks for helping us out and trying to get this going i'll buy a set.
I'm not a hater. I think the fiber optic part would be well worth $150 - $200. I just think that the LED unit pictured would/should not be considered for that kind of price. Of coarse I don't expect to buy it at cost, but a 500% mark up is not a great deal. I don't care how much money you have. I'm not trying to tell you what to buy and what not to buy, I'm just trying to help out.

Peace
Old 10-29-2002, 03:45 PM
2-Wheelin it...

like i already stated, the picture was simply to show people what an angel eye kit looked like. i see many people ask "what's angel eye"
so i simply put this picture...if it will make you happy, i'm switching to a picture of one of them mounted on a bmw.
again, the poll i was having voted for was for the FIBER OPTIC kit, which at that price, is VERY VERY fair, and actually a very competitive price.

now that i'm home from work, i can discuss this more. if you care to look, i want you to do a search on ebay or google and search for DEMON EYE BMW or ANGEL EYE BMW and look at the prices you get. most of the BUY NOW's are at $200-$250. and that's for the LED, not EVEN fiber optics. fiber optics buy now for $300. every google search will lead you to the Demon Eye Kit for $300-$400. again, this is the kit i'm trying to get, only we ARE NOT gonna pay EVEN CLOSE to that.

so now consider this. the quality of the fiber optic kit is 10x's better than the LED kit, and i'm attempting to get a price between 150-200 for fiber optics.
again, look at the new picture i'm gonna put and also consider all the parts in this kit.
also, instead of shooting it down immediately, why not give it a chance. that's like telling dmbmaxima2k2 or berk that their intake isn't worth attempting. that's like telling cattman he's wasting his time. we gave them a chance, they proved it, and now they're offering great products at great prices.
you find me ANY fiber optic kit that is even remotely close to the price that i'm attempting to get it at, and then i'll listen.
i'm just like of you. i want nothing but the best for this car, for this forum, and at the best possible price. you don't give it a chance, and guess what, i'll just end up buying it on my own and do it on my own. i'm merely trying to help out this forum with another mod that many have asked for but got stopped because after a33 disappeared, everyone wanted to do it but no one had the initiative to do the research and try and contact a distributor about it.

that said, please view the new picture.
Old 10-29-2002, 05:37 PM
I miss the .org!

I want a fiber optic kit...not the LED ones...
Old 10-29-2002, 06:15 PM
Sanduguero

349 fiber opt...
Old 10-29-2002, 07:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by playero

349 fiber opt...
For an FYI to y'all.

That picture of the kit is significantly dated - up to a year old.
Ask me how I know

PoLo, I did NOT receive any emails from your work, would appreciate your resending them.

For an FYI - Fiber Optic kits sell for $215 right now for a Gen 4 kit (this is a ONE MONTH ONLY PRICE) that looks like this:

Pricing will be determined by interest. Please email PoLo if you are interested.

The kit is expected to be brighter and more advanced design in the next few weeks due to some significant changes that will add cost to the final product.
Old 10-29-2002, 09:02 PM
2-Wheelin it...

Originally posted by Triple8Sol
I want a fiber optic kit...not the LED ones...
i'm working on a deal for the fiber optic kit. right now i'm letting this post settle amongst everyone. i'm also giving whoever is intersted enough time to start rounding up money, checking for change under the couch, etc.... i will definitely be attempting a deal, so if you want, start saving or get ready. i am hoping WITHIN the next 2 weeks, hopefully sooner.
Old 10-30-2002, 03:25 PM
I miss the .org!

Originally posted by PoLo

i'm working on a deal for the fiber optic kit. right now i'm letting this post settle amongst everyone. i'm also giving whoever is intersted enough time to start rounding up money, checking for change under the couch, etc.... i will definitely be attempting a deal, so if you want, start saving or get ready. i am hoping WITHIN the next 2 weeks, hopefully sooner.
Sounds great...can't wait!
Old 11-01-2002, 11:02 AM
Former Sponsor

so are there 39 people interested?
or are there more interested?
Old 11-01-2002, 01:05 PM

I've been waiting forever!!!!

I hope I can get the money in time but I'm down for the fiber optics as well.
Old 11-01-2002, 01:49 PM

Put me down for one!
Old 11-05-2002, 08:58 AM

i want in on this kit also
Old 11-05-2002, 10:13 AM
Former Sponsor

something to whet the appetite

Check out the NEW AND IMPROVED VIDEO
WOW VIDEO
Old 11-05-2002, 07:50 PM

something to whet the appetite

Check out the NEW AND IMPROVED VIDEO
WOW VIDEO

i cant wait
Old 11-05-2002, 08:14 PM
2-Wheelin it...

i hope everyone is saving their money, cuase i plan to start setting up prices sometime mid next week. not to sound conceited, but i'm glad i got this thing up and running again, and i'm happy to be working with a good distributor. guys, we are not getting cheapo products here. this stuff is top quality.
oh yeah....BUMP
Old 11-06-2002, 12:38 AM

How hard is it to open the headlights?
Old 11-06-2002, 03:01 AM

Originally posted by F8Lmax
How hard is it to open the headlights?
from what i hear not hard, its the re-sealing of the lights that tricky

all you need is a heat gun, if you dont have that a hair dryer would work if its a good one.

someone else on here rencently just did their headlights and said it took about an hour for each light
Old 11-06-2002, 08:54 AM

I want an optic kit too... 5th gen HID... Yea, taking the lights apart is pretty easy, just time consuming. I put mine in the oven at 125 degrees for a couple of minutes, wore leather work gloves and took a knife, unsharp and started prying, then if it got cool as I did this I put it back in to heat it up again. Of course not too hot to break the plastic. Each one took about 30-45 minutes to take off. I did the same putting it back together. It's all about heating up the glue so it gets soft. Did it to my 2000 headlights and painted them black.
Old 11-06-2002, 10:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by young1976
I want an optic kit too... 5th gen HID... Yea, taking the lights apart is pretty easy, just time consuming. I put mine in the oven at 125 degrees for a couple of minutes, wore leather work gloves and took a knife, unsharp and started prying, then if it got cool as I did this I put it back in to heat it up again. Of course not too hot to break the plastic. Each one took about 30-45 minutes to take off. I did the same putting it back together. It's all about heating up the glue so it gets soft. Did it to my 2000 headlights and painted them black.
This is the correct way to do it everyone!
Time consuming but you break nothing and the end result is nothing short of spectacular.

Too bad no one makes the headlight assemblies like the E46 - easy to take apart, just four screws and 7 clips and you're done.

You can also use a hair dryer.
Old 11-06-2002, 04:10 PM
Former Sponsor

http://www.umnitza.com/dde/images/e46/kt9.jpg
http://www.umnitza.com/dde/images/e46/kt1.jpg
http://www.umnitza.com/dde/images/e46/kt8.jpg
http://www.umnitza.com/dde/images/e46/kt7.jpg
http://www.umnitza.com/dde/images/e46/kt6.jpg
Old 11-06-2002, 10:46 PM

???

Where r u getting the fiber opps (halos) from?? i've been looking all over the place try'n to find them but i can't find ne company's that sell in bulk.. can u give me some info to where your get'n them from...

thanks
Old 11-06-2002, 11:10 PM
Former Sponsor

make them ourselves
Fiber we have purchased all the fiber on the west coast So, we get them cheaper than anyone else

This is not cheap stuff
Old 11-11-2002, 01:13 AM
Former Sponsor

http://www.umnitza.com/dde/video/pro...stallpromo.mpg

www.umnitza.com/dde/video/promo/e46promo.avi

www.umnitza.com/dde/video/promo/LEDpromo.mpg
Old 11-20-2002, 12:03 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

over 100 bucks!? talk about major profit... dude u lazy ppl, do this thing YOURSELF. its like 20 bucks!

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=167734

http://snow.prohosting.com/nsyed/angel/angel_eyes.htm
Old 11-20-2002, 12:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by nadir_s
over 100 bucks!? talk about major profit... dude u lazy ppl, do this thing YOURSELF. its like 20 bucks!

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=167734

http://snow.prohosting.com/nsyed/angel/angel_eyes.htm
No offense my friend. But those are entirely amateurish IMHO.

Not only are the rings too small for the headlight, the rings themselves are powered by LEDS and they look very off.

When you price out fiber, lamps, ligh boxes, connectors, etc.
You'll find we're far from gouging anyone if we move this product to the price point of $215

Quick Reply: R&D for Angel eye kits in LED and Fiber Optic