5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen Ebrake/Boot Replacement (Frost Interior)

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2002, 07:28 AM

5th Gen Ebrake/Boot Replacement (Frost Interior)

Hello all. I am currently trying to find a good ebrake replacement for my 2K frost leather interior Max. I have seen in looking through the forums that people have installed Momo handbrakes and boots on 5th Gens. However, the pics I have seen are with black boots and brakes. I think this would greatly contrast with my grey leather auto shifter. Not to mention seats, dash, etc. Has anyone been able to come up with a good replacement for this interior color? If so, can you provide pics?

My Max is the GLE which comes with the wood (plastic) trim. So, I would ideally like to get something like a chrome/wood handle with a leather boot. The boot I would like to match the color of the leather. Tall order I know.

I purchased an ebrake cover from CustomMaxima which looked OK. But, it did not match the other wood in the car. So, it was obvious it was an add on and "made the car look cheap" in my girlfriends words. This is not the fault of CustomMaxima. They provided exactly what they said and it did look nice. Just not what I can live with.

If anyone has any ideas on this, I would love to hear them.

Cheers!

Mike G
aka- mike1g
Old 10-29-2002, 08:17 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

momo has a wood-finished ebrake handle.....for the boot, momo only has it in black. I would try leatherseats.com, they had a GD here few months ago. have fun~

I have a GLE with frost finish too. black seems ok and I have momo aluminum ebrake handle.
Old 10-29-2002, 08:55 AM

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]
momo has a wood-finished ebrake handle.....for the boot, momo only has it in black. I would try leatherseats.com, they had a GD here few months ago. have fun~

I have a GLE with frost finish too. black seems ok and I have momo aluminum ebrake handle.

Thanks allot! I have ordered the leather boot from leatherseats.com. I will try and track down the momo handle. I am a little more cautious about it's install than the boot. The boot should be smooth as silk. I will look at the How To created on this. Thanks again for your info!

Mike
aka- mike1g
Old 10-29-2002, 01:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by mike1g

Thanks allot! I have ordered the leather boot from leatherseats.com. I will try and track down the momo handle. I am a little more cautious about it's install than the boot. The boot should be smooth as silk. I will look at the How To created on this. Thanks again for your info!

Mike
aka- mike1g
I wrote a how-to on the momo and boot install...it's inside the how-to section. make sure the e-brake boot is long enough...otherwise, u have to tape it onto the plastic base.....
Old 10-29-2002, 02:00 PM

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]

I wrote a how-to on the momo and boot install...it's inside the how-to section. make sure the e-brake boot is long enough...otherwise, u have to tape it onto the plastic base.....

Yeah, I read some more and saw the discussion on the boot not being quite long enough (the Momo boot that is). I am hoping to not have those troubles with the leatherseats.com boot. I think I am going to stick with just adding the leather boot for now. I might upgrade to the Momo handle. But, it will require a specially made boot from leatherseats.com. Or, the one that comes from Momo (which is too short).

If I decide to get the brake handle (and new boot), I will just post the old one on Ebay. I am hoping is dresses up that plain jane ugly plastic hand brake enough to where I will not feel compelled to get the Momo. But, I have had the mod fever as of late so...... Thanks for your info!

mike1g
Old 10-29-2002, 02:57 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

so are u saying that if u use the leatherseats.com boot u cant use the momo handle and would have to get a customized one made?? I am looking into doing this mod and have emailed leatherseats.com about the boot thinking that it would work with the momo handle, although i did not confirm this with them, but are u saying that i would have to get a special one made to fit the momo handle or am i just really tired and misreading which could definately be the case. Thanks!

Steve
Old 10-29-2002, 03:01 PM

post us some pics, mike!

Thanks!!
Old 10-30-2002, 07:48 AM

Originally posted by mightima
post us some pics, mike!

Thanks!!
Hey guys. I will try and post some pics. I need to "requisition" our companies digital camera first. I want to post pics of the white/indiglo gauges, chrome rings, AE door sills, and the leather boot for the hand brake. I am getting started with interior and cosmetic mods first. I am not as concerned with performance. I just got out of a 2001 Camaro SS. So, I was looking more for style, class and comfort. That's not to say I won't be slapping in the ol' K&N and some other performance mods down the road.

The scoop from leatherseats.com on the Momo shifter is this: They can modify the regular Maxima boot to work with the shifter. The hole/opening at the front end needs to be made larger. The way it will be coming to me is to fit the existing hand brake. The Momo hand brake is significantly bigger than stock. So, what I would suggest is this, if you want to use their boot (since it fits better than Momo's and you can get it in Frost or other colors), and you want to use the Momo handle, get the handle first. Then, measure the size of the back end of the handle. Call leatherseats.com with that measurement. They will make the opening bigger accordingly. Not sure if they would charge more for this or not. But, I think it would look pretty sharp. The people I have talked to their are very patient, answer all your questions without feeling "put out", and have pretty good pricing. Check it out.

Mike

2000 Black Maxima GLE (Frost leather)
White face indiglo gauges
Chrome gauge rings
AE Chrome door sills

On the way: Leather ebrake boot

Much more to come.....
Old 10-30-2002, 11:03 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

ya i emailed leatherseats.com a while ago to see if they could make one and i got a price and stuff. Im just wondering, does anyone know how short the momo boot is with the handle? can someone post some pics of how far off the fitment is? thanks
Old 11-12-2002, 11:50 AM

leatherseats.com ebrake boot eval

Hello all. Ok, I received the ebrake boot from leatherseats.com yesterday. It matched my "frost" leather interior perfect. That was amazing in and of itself.

I installed it a little different than the rep there advised. Basically, it just entailed taking off the rubber ring that surrounds the ebrake itself. Then, I put the boot on around the brake, tucked it in nicely, then put the rubber ring back on. Since it is long enough, I did not fasten the end of the boot to anything. However, the rep there told me for best results, cut slits into the leather at the bottom of the boot, and hook those onto the same prongs that the rubber ring attaches to.

There was a small shipping snafu. But Eric, my rep there, remedied the problem by sending me another item of the same make through a faster shipping channel without waiting for the return of the first item (boot) back. It was a pretty good experience over all. And I am very pleased with the boot.

I don't have a digital camera but will try my best to get some pics uploaded for anyone who is curious. I would definitely recommend this as a reasonably inexpensive mod which makes that ugly ol plastic ebrake look <so much> better. Not to mention the whole interior looks more plush now.

Mod:
Leather ebrake boot

Source:
leatherseats.com

Price:
$57.94 (includes shipping, tax, etc)

Let me know if you have any questions. Cheers.

2000 Maxima GLE
Black with Frost Leather Interior

mods:

white/indiglo gauges
chrome metal gauge rings
AE door sills
AE pedals + foot rest
Leather ebrake boot
Clear Corners
Sunroof deflector
Tint

upcoming.....performance mods