5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

very notchy from 2nd to 3rd on 6 speed

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 07:42 AM

very notchy from 2nd to 3rd on 6 speed

I am wondering if others have had this same problem on a 6-speed manual SE. The shifter is VERY notchy going from 2nd to 3rd gear. It even grinds a little like I am not pushing the clutch down all the way (but I am). I have been driving manual trans cars for the last 17 years and I know this isn't normal. I have about 8K miles on the car now and it seems to be getting worse not better.

Anyone else have the same problem and/or know what I need to have Nissan fix when it goes in next? They don't seem to good at diagnostics and only repair stuff when I tell them what is broken. Hmmm....
Old 11-04-2002, 08:03 AM
Doctorate in Detailing

Not sure why it seems to be getting worse...Mine was very notchy, and I thought something was wrong but it is getting smoother the longer I have the car. I've got only 3200 miles on mine, and it is a lot smoother than when I first got it. Man, I hope it doesn't get worse.

Did yours seem smoother at any time since you've owned it?
Old 11-04-2002, 08:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: very notchy from 2nd to 3rd on 6 speed

Originally posted by carguyrob
I am wondering if others have had this same problem on a 6-speed manual SE. The shifter is VERY notchy going from 2nd to 3rd gear. It even grinds a little like I am not pushing the clutch down all the way (but I am). I have been driving manual trans cars for the last 17 years and I know this isn't normal. I have about 8K miles on the car now and it seems to be getting worse not better.

Anyone else have the same problem and/or know what I need to have Nissan fix when it goes in next? They don't seem to good at diagnostics and only repair stuff when I tell them what is broken. Hmmm....
I have the same problem. The only fix (so far) is to let the car warm up all the way before you drive it, at least that works for me. Is it worse when the car is cold? The other suggestion is to change transmission oil (to what is still up for debate). If the problem happens when the car is hot, there may be a bigger problem. Not much help I know, but it is all I can offer.

EDIT: Read more about it here: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=162814
Old 11-04-2002, 09:18 AM

I don't have a 2k2 but I saw a post this post where emax had problems with his 2- 3rd gear also.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ghlight=tranny

hth
woosh
Old 11-04-2002, 09:22 AM
Blu
the tits

I think this would be the wonderful 3rd gear syncro that has been failing a lot on the 2k2 6 spds. It has happened to ethan(emax95), nad matt(SR20DEN). Contact the dealer
Old 11-04-2002, 09:35 AM

Originally posted by blubyu2k2
I think this would be the wonderful 3rd gear syncro that has been failing a lot on the 2k2 6 spds. It has happened to ethan(emax95), nad matt(SR20DEN). Contact the dealer
Temperature of the car doesn't seem to make a difference at all. And it really is more than just a notchy transmission...I know what that feels like. It is a bit of grinding as I push the shifter into 3rd gear. It does seem like something related to the 3rd gear syncro failing. I didn't know that others were having problems with this too.

I guess I will have to mention that when I bring it in for my next oil change...
Old 11-04-2002, 09:37 AM

Originally posted by blubyu2k2

BTW...what has been the fix to resolve this 3rd gear syncro problem? I am just afraid you are going to say...replace the transmission...
Old 11-04-2002, 09:41 AM
Blu
the tits

BTW...what has been the fix to resolve this 3rd gear syncro problem? I am just afraid you are going to say...replace the transmission...
I believe they just replace the syncro. I know for a fact they don't replace the whole tranny. Contact emax and see what was performed on his car when it was replaced.
Old 11-04-2002, 09:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yeah, i have a 2002 SE 6spd, and my best friend has the same car also and we both have that same problem going from 2nd to third. it doesnt always do it on mine, somtimes its ok but i havent addressed the dealership yet. who know what they are going to say. probably that nothing is wrong. if someone finds a fix for the that the dealership did underwarranty please post it so we can get ours fixed too. also i dont think it gets better with time because i have 11k miles on my car and it still does it.
Old 11-04-2002, 10:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm in the middle of dealing with this problem right now. I have to call back in 20 minutes to see when I can drop my car off. Since about 17K miles my tranny started to grind a bit and it has gotten progressively worse. Now with 19K miles my 3rd gear gets a grind on every shift(when the tranny is warm). The diagnosis I recieved was that my 3rd gear cup needs replacemnt. To replace it the tranny has to be removed and opened up.
Old 11-04-2002, 10:04 AM

Originally posted by Goldweights01
Yeah, i have a 2002 SE 6spd, and my best friend has the same car also and we both have that same problem going from 2nd to third. it doesnt always do it on mine, somtimes its ok but i havent addressed the dealership yet. who know what they are going to say. probably that nothing is wrong. if someone finds a fix for the that the dealership did underwarranty please post it so we can get ours fixed too. also i dont think it gets better with time because i have 11k miles on my car and it still does it.
I guess that is what I am getting at... has anyone actually had this problem fixed? If so, what did they do to fix it? Did it solve the problem? Thx!
Old 11-04-2002, 10:11 AM

If dealer says its "Normal" and nothing they could replace that will make it better, I guess the only way is to try a different Trans. fluid and hope for the best. myself is also a victim of "Notchy 2nd ~ 3rd gear"
Old 11-04-2002, 10:30 AM

Yep I had "have" that problem too. I took it to the dealer and they said there was no problem. RIGHT! So I wait for it to go realy bad and then have them look at it.
Old 11-04-2002, 11:29 AM

once in a while i go to shift to 3rd quick and the shifted doesnt want to go in, it kind of bounces out i guess you could say.. and a few times ive gone to put the car into first from a dead stop and it didnt want to go in.. nissan has to get their act together
Old 11-04-2002, 11:34 AM

Maybe Nissan needs to ask Honda how to build smooth Manual transmissions.
Old 11-04-2002, 11:44 AM

My trans does not crunch but does hang up if I rush the 2>3 shift. I blame it on the cable linkage and the fact that the engine is torqued over under load?
Old 11-04-2002, 12:55 PM

Im also having the same problem with my max when i shift from 2nd to 3rd. I asked my friend with a sentra spec v and he said that hes having the same problem as well. Im getting a new tranny this week after having so many problems with mine. I hope it wont have the same problems as this one.
Old 11-04-2002, 01:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by JoesMAX
a few times ive gone to put the car into first from a dead stop and it didnt want to go in.. nissan has to get their act together
I've heard of this with other cars, so I don't think it is specific to Nissan. That being said, I really wish it wouldn't happen either, even though it only does it every once in a while. As for the 2->3 grind, can't say I have it(knock on wood).
Old 11-04-2002, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by Y2K2Driver

I've heard of this with other cars, so I don't think it is specific to Nissan. That being said, I really wish it wouldn't happen either, even though it only does it every once in a while. As for the 2->3 grind, can't say I have it(knock on wood).

i hate when it happens, the light turns and youre just sitting there
Old 11-04-2002, 01:32 PM

Mine has 5400 miles, and my shift from 2nd to 3rd is a lot smoother now that i have a few miles on the car............hope it doesnt get worse.
Old 11-04-2002, 01:38 PM

I HAD the same problem...up until a few weeks ago when I got a BRAND NEW TRANNY from the dealer. Of course, they brought it down and said, "We're gonna look at it and see what Nissan Corp. says". What did Nissan say? "Don't open it up, we'll send you a new tranny, it's already on the way". Simple. I know it sucks getting a new tranny but this DID resolve the problem. My 2nd to 3rd shift is smoother even though I'm still breaking in the tranny (the more miles, the smoother it gets it seems). I'll keep y'all posted on the progress of my clutch and tranny replacement.
Old 11-04-2002, 02:15 PM

This is one of the worst trannys I've every experienced. I thought the auto in my 2000 GLE was bad but that seems state of the art compared to this POS. I just wish I had more time to screw around with the dealer. Kelly Nissan of Lynnfield, MA says that the notchy, grindy shifting is normal. I've come to find out that so is their their horrible customer service. I'll think I'll try someplace else in all my "spare time"!