5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Juddering brakes on 2000 Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 01:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Juddering brakes on 2000 Maxima

O.K., so the brakes on my 2000 juddered at 15K miles, and Nissan replaced the rotors under warranty. They juddered at 30K miles, and they turned them under warranty. I am now at 45K miles, out of warranty and, you guessed it, juddering.

Any suggestions to keep it from happening at 60K, 75K, etc.? How about a certain brand of aftermarket rotor, 01 or 02 rotors, Infiniti parts? Cross drilled? cryo frozen? Build cooling ducts?

Anyone got a fix??
Old 11-04-2002, 01:54 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

this is second hand information but i have heard of some having good luck simply replacing the pads with non-nissan pads and keeping the nissan rotors. i dont have an explanation but i had the same thing expect at 9k and now at 20k i can feel a slight vibration coming back. im planning on having the rotors replaced, one time they just cut them and then put on my own pads, either carbon metallic or bedix iq pads.
Old 11-04-2002, 02:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by sloppymax
this is second hand information but i have heard of some having good luck simply replacing the pads with non-nissan pads and keeping the nissan rotors. i dont have an explanation but i had the same thing expect at 9k and now at 20k i can feel a slight vibration coming back. im planning on having the rotors replaced, one time they just cut them and then put on my own pads, either carbon metallic or bedix iq pads.

If you have an 01, it appears that they did not fix the problem after the bulletin on the 00. I had a 944 Porsche once with the same problem, and ended up with organic pads.
Old 11-04-2002, 02:15 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

besides looking cool, the cross-drilled rotors don't seem to have that problem. perhaps the better heat dissipation, perhaps a better material they're constructed from, but i haven't heard of anyone's cross-drilled rotors warping, where that seems to be pretty common with the stock ones.
Old 11-04-2002, 02:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by schuss
besides looking cool, the cross-drilled rotors don't seem to have that problem. perhaps the better heat dissipation, perhaps a better material they're constructed from, but i haven't heard of anyone's cross-drilled rotors warping, where that seems to be pretty common with the stock ones.

I'm a gonna' drill them myself on my Craftsman drill press.

Any source for good priced cross drilled??
Old 11-04-2002, 02:32 PM
jjs

Originally posted by LarryH

I'm a gonna' drill them myself on my Craftsman drill press.

Any source for good priced cross drilled??
Just take a regular old set of rotors out back and unload a 12 gauge at 'em...presto! All the holes you could want!
Old 11-05-2002, 12:40 AM
Future Camaro SS owner

Originally posted by jjs

Just take a regular old set of rotors out back and unload a 12 gauge at 'em...presto! All the holes you could want!
JRNissanparts look or his name I got new front rotors and pads no judder now.
Old 11-05-2002, 02:32 AM

Re: Juddering brakes on 2000 Maxima

O.K., so the brakes on my 2000 juddered at 15K miles, and Nissan replaced the rotors under warranty. They juddered at 30K miles, and they turned them under warranty. I am now at 45K miles, out of warranty and, you guessed it, juddering.

Any suggestions to keep it from happening at 60K, 75K, etc.? How about a certain brand of aftermarket rotor, 01 or 02 rotors, Infiniti parts? Cross drilled? cryo frozen? Build cooling ducts?

Anyone got a fix??
They told me it wouldn't be fixed under warranty because brakes are 'wear and tear'...
Old 11-05-2002, 07:58 AM

can you really drill your rotors yourself?
Old 11-05-2002, 08:00 AM
jjs

Re: Re: Juddering brakes on 2000 Maxima

Originally posted by Ludacris

They told me it wouldn't be fixed under warranty because brakes are 'wear and tear'...
At what mileage was this? Take the TSB with you.
Old 11-05-2002, 09:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by maseo77
can you really drill your rotors yourself?

No! I was just joking. The holes have to be at the proper angle to vent the heat to be effective and they have to be machined properly. Don't try this at home. I suppose if you drilled the holes wrong, it would whistle really loud when you are driving down the road. That would be annoying.
Old 11-05-2002, 09:47 AM
jjs

No! I was just joking. The holes have to be at the proper angle to vent the heat to be effective and they have to be machined properly. Don't try this at home. I suppose if you drilled the holes wrong, it would whistle really loud when you are driving down the road. That would be annoying.
And the slightest imperfection (burr, etc.) would tear the crap out of pads, etc.
Old 11-05-2002, 09:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by jjs

And the slightest imperfection (burr, etc.) would tear the crap out of pads, etc.
Yeah, my judder is gone, but now the car won't stop at all.
Old 11-05-2002, 09:54 AM
jjs

Yeah, my judder is gone, but now the car won't stop at all.
Old 11-05-2002, 10:32 AM

This happens on my 03...

I just noticed it the other day when I hit the brakes hard from 70 MPH. I searched and the TSB doesn't seem to cover my year. Anyone else have this with a new Max?

I don't like the idea of them cutting my rotors, I'm going to demand new ones. I also don't like another 1000 break in period
Old 11-05-2002, 01:00 PM

All I do is drive highway so my brake pads actually still look new at 50,000 miles, my 17 Potenzas are still good for that matter. But anyways, I had my rotors cut once by the dealer and the second time I took them off and went to Pep Boys to have them do it off the car. Lot cheaper than doing it on the car at Dealer $100 vs $12+my time.

But I've discovered that the almost immediately warp after I had my tires rotated both incidences at either a dealer or say "Town Fair Tire in Weth, CT" "So do you guys use torque wrenches"... "Oh yea, we do" Of course NOT! I see them tightening those lug nuts with the impact wrenches till I can't take them off at all without a 2 foot breaker bar!

No problems since I started torqueing the lugnuts and rotating myself. So I think it's part over tightening of lugnuts by impact wrenches that are also attributing to warped rotors...Just what I believe... another reason to trust someone else less with my car.
Old 11-05-2002, 02:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Brake Judders!

F-ing maximas! I am so tired of my brakes. I just changed the rotors last week and but didnt replcace the pads! bad move.. I went with the advice that changing the pads and keeping the stock rotors would help but no such luck. Now, i have to get new pads since the Axxis Metal Masters now are couple of months old w/my new rotors. BTW, does anyone have a recommendation/opinion on the potterfields pads? Will do rear rotors/brake pads/alignment/rsb all @once.
Old 11-05-2002, 08:36 PM

I wonder about the experience of those folks who put on aftermarket rotors...they are saying no probs, but how many miles will that last?
Old 11-06-2002, 08:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by young1976
All I do is drive highway so my brake pads actually still look new at 50,000 miles, my 17 Potenzas are still good for that matter. But anyways, I had my rotors cut once by the dealer and the second time I took them off and went to Pep Boys to have them do it off the car. Lot cheaper than doing it on the car at Dealer $100 vs $12+my time.

But I've discovered that the almost immediately warp after I had my tires rotated both incidences at either a dealer or say "Town Fair Tire in Weth, CT" "So do you guys use torque wrenches"... "Oh yea, we do" Of course NOT! I see them tightening those lug nuts with the impact wrenches till I can't take them off at all without a 2 foot breaker bar!

No problems since I started torqueing the lugnuts and rotating myself. So I think it's part over tightening of lugnuts by impact wrenches that are also attributing to warped rotors...Just what I believe... another reason to trust someone else less with my car.

I keep my own torque wrench in the trunk, and do it myself, even at the shop. They always look at me funny when I pull it out and start torquing.
Old 11-06-2002, 08:35 AM

I keep my own torque wrench in the trunk, and do it myself, even at the shop. They always look at me funny when I pull it out and start torquing.
Really!? You just pull it out and start torquing? You walk right up to your car on the lift as they're still working on it? Wow! What kind of place doesn't have liability rules about letting customers go into work areas. hehe, I wonder if they would use it if I told them to use my torque wrench... hmmm
Old 11-06-2002, 08:40 AM
jjs

Really!? You just pull it out and start torquing? You walk right up to your car on the lift as they're still working on it? Wow! What kind of place doesn't have liability rules about letting customers go into work areas. hehe, I wonder if they would use it if I told them to use my torque wrench... hmmm
It oftens depends on how **** the shop is and how you present yourself. I have yet to be 'run out' of a shop floor...just be pleasant, act like you are truly interested in what they are doing (not just nosy or supervisory), and thank the guys for stuff (even if you paid for it anyway) like taking time to clean an area, being careful with lug nuts and wheels not to scratch them, etc.
Old 11-06-2002, 08:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Heck yeah. I'm an insuarance adjuster, with my own Workers Comp, so I cop out with that when the manager starts to question. I never leave my car's side at the shop, and am standing right there to make sure the tire balancer reads 00/00 everytime.

I had a coupon for a comp first oil change at the Nissan dealer, and I was standing so close that I got oil dripped on my arm.

There is a problem with the automated car washes, though, as I always seem to get wet, and beat up by the big brushes.
Old 11-06-2002, 08:49 AM

Originally posted by jjs

do you fire them with a skeet shooter?
Old 11-06-2002, 08:53 AM
jjs

Originally posted by T-bone

do you fire them with a skeet shooter?
It's a thought!