5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Side-window ventguards... any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2002, 08:24 AM

Side-window ventguards... any suggestions?

I'm so tired of getting the inside of my car rained on whenever I roll down the window (drive-thru, etc) while its raining. My power locks, etc gets soaked and I'm afraid it's gonna have some long-term effects. I usually carry a towel in my car and hand dry it everytime, but frankly that sux!

Using 'search' I've located two companies... GTS brands, and Weathertech.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated?
Old 11-05-2002, 08:27 AM
jjs

Re: Side-window ventguards... any suggestions?

Originally posted by CHAZMAX
I'm so tired of getting the inside of my car rained on whenever I roll down the window (drive-thru, etc) while its raining. My power locks, etc gets soaked and I'm afraid it's gonna have some long-term effects. I usually carry a towel in my car and hand dry it everytime, but frankly that sux!

Using 'search' I've located two companies... GTS brands, and Weathertech.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated?
Bud, got the same problem here and also have the handy towel in the car. Haven't gotten to the point of doing something about it yet, but back when I was personalizing the Ram a bit I saw there were two main types, the adhesive and ones that actually tucked into the window channel. For appearances, I would go with the channel ones...

http://www.weathertech.com/store/pro...tem_group_id=4
Old 11-05-2002, 08:36 AM

Honestly???? .......

CHEEZY. imo.
Old 11-05-2002, 08:37 AM
jjs

Re: Honestly???? .......

Originally posted by Green Ox
CHEEZY. imo.
Not the most attractive, but functionally not bad.

Nice thing about these, it seems they can be installed and removed quite easily (as opposed to adhesive).

Sooooo....when it rains for many days in a row, put them in...when less frequently, remove them to clean up the appearance of the car.

Hey, I may just have talked myself into a set!
Old 11-05-2002, 08:49 AM

Re: Re: Honestly???? .......

Originally posted by jjs

Not the most attractive, but functionally not bad.
Agreed. I'm sure they work great (never had them on any of my cars), but unless the guards were VERY FLUSH with the side profile of the car, it might actually look good. But then again, our 5th Gen windows are not not angled at 90degrees...wouldn't some dripping occur anyway then?

I simply keep a little rag in the door side pocket, or just use my arm as a cover, then wipe dry-- Better to have a wet arm for a couple of seconds than spending $$ to replace fried electrical components.

It's just that my perception, and what I've seen on vehicles out there, they stick out like a sore thumb, and are D@MN UGLY!

Again, imo.

Peace.
Old 11-05-2002, 09:00 AM

Re: Re: Side-window ventguards... any suggestions?

Originally posted by jjs

Bud, got the same problem here and also have the handy towel in the car. Haven't gotten to the point of doing something about it yet, but back when I was personalizing the Ram a bit I saw there were two main types, the adhesive and ones that actually tucked into the window channel. For appearances, I would go with the channel ones...

http://www.weathertech.com/store/pro...tem_group_id=4
Thanks jjs!

Those DO seem to be the nicest ones. $79.95 for front/rear set.

Honestly, like a few have said... they are a little cheesy, but I had a "clear" pair on an old mustang (came w/ it), and I swear you hardly even noticed. In fact, I don't think anyone ever did. But man were they useful. I've never had it on a four-door though.
Old 11-05-2002, 09:10 AM
Zog

Aren't those guards intended for keeping rain out when you crack your windows and leave the car. With the window all the way down, i don't figure they'll do too much. Just my .02
Old 11-05-2002, 09:18 AM
jjs

Re: Re: Re: Side-window ventguards... any suggestions?

Originally posted by CHAZMAX

Thanks jjs!

Those DO seem to be the nicest ones. $79.95 for front/rear set.

Honestly, like a few have said... they are a little cheesy, but I had a "clear" pair on an old mustang (came w/ it), and I swear you hardly even noticed. In fact, I don't think anyone ever did. But man were they useful. I've never had it on a four-door though.
No prob!

Seems like I am one of the few who understands what you are talking about and how it would help!

Tollways (if you don't have an EZ Tag), drive throughs, reaching into the mailbox at the top of the drive, etc. are the times the windows are fully open and any drippage would hit more of the door skin than inside the door itself (if people would look at the profile of the door more closely). I would like the ability to have them on when it is raining and HOT down here...crack the windows about a half in or so and get ventilation and rain protection (my office is only about 20 feet from the car and visible.
Old 11-05-2002, 01:32 PM
I miss the .org!

Weathertech Weatherflectors are the best ones. They fit into the windown channel, instead of being taped onto your paint like all the other ones. I'm considering getting some, because it rains so much here in Seattle. You can always pop them right out when the weather gets better.