5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Meineke prices for exhaust work, part 2

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2002, 08:44 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Meineke prices for exhaust work, part 2

I checked with another Meineke in town, got some more price quotes:

Cost to replace the flex-section on the aftermarket y-pipe: $70
Cost to cut the pre-cats off the stock y-pipe and weld them onto the aftermarket y-pipe: $50
Fabricate and install b-pipe: $70.

I'm hopefully getting this work done this weekend.
Old 11-05-2002, 09:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

just curious???????

Originally posted by Tanman
Cost to cut the pre-cats off the stock y-pipe and weld them onto the aftermarket y-pipe: $50
Just wondering why you are having the precats cut off the STOCK pipe and having them put back on the AFTERMARKET pipe....i thought the whole point of an aftermarket y-pipe was to get rid of at least one precat on a cali spec and both on a fed spec??? i just dont get it....wouldnt you be cancelling yourself out by doing this?? i mean i would save the $50 bucks and just bolt that damn thing on. no flame or anything im just sayin....thats my 2 cents
Old 11-05-2002, 11:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Meineke prices for exhaust work, part 2

Originally posted by Tanman
I checked with another Meineke in town, got some more price quotes:

Cost to replace the flex-section on the aftermarket y-pipe: $70
Fabricate and install b-pipe: $70.

I'm hopefully getting this work dne this weekend.
Heres the thing TanMan, not all Meineke's have Mandrel bent pipes..... Are you going with that type for your Bpipe since you boosted?

I been trying to get a freagin Bpipe from WSP for 4months now..... yeah FOUR MONTHS
Old 11-06-2002, 06:54 AM

Re: just curious???????

Originally posted by 2k1maxgle

Just wondering why you are having the precats cut off the STOCK pipe and having them put back on the AFTERMARKET pipe....i thought the whole point of an aftermarket y-pipe was to get rid of at least one precat on a cali spec and both on a fed spec??? i just dont get it....wouldnt you be cancelling yourself out by doing this?? i mean i would save the $50 bucks and just bolt that damn thing on. no flame or anything im just sayin....thats my 2 cents
I'm getting the pre-cats welded on to keep the pipe somewhat legal and environmentally safe. It will reduce the effectiveness of the y-pipe, but the aftermarket part still improves flow by removing crimps and bends.
Old 11-06-2002, 06:57 AM

Re: Re: Meineke prices for exhaust work, part 2

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

Heres the thing TanMan, not all Meineke's have Mandrel bent pipes..... Are you going with that type for your Bpipe since you boosted?

I been trying to get a freagin Bpipe from WSP for 4months now..... yeah FOUR MONTHS
Hmm, good question. The one I checked with got the Silver star service award in 2001 for excellent customer service. The guy I talked to was helpful, so I'm hoping he's as cool when we're actually getting the work done. I'll check on the mandrel bending machine. If they don't have one, I'll keep the stock b-pipe until later.
Old 11-06-2002, 07:26 AM
Maxima Pilot

B-4 u go through the troubles of welding

the pre-cats on the pipe, understand these things are here mostly and primarily to reduce emissions from the time the engine is started to the point where the main cat 'lights off'.

These pre-cats are a) smaller and b) much closer to the engine itself so they 'light off' much sooner than the main cat. But, when the main cat 'lights off', u dont need the pre-cats anymore; even if u take them off, the difference in emissions output with/without the precats is minuscule -thats why cars pass DEQ no problem on just the main cat.

Bottom line, you will pollute a bit more for about three minutes with the precats gone. Obviously, your morals/ideals make this your decision
Old 11-06-2002, 08:15 AM

Re: B-4 u go through the troubles of welding

Originally posted by Galo
the pre-cats on the pipe, understand these things are here mostly and primarily to reduce emissions from the time the engine is started to the point where the main cat 'lights off'.

These pre-cats are a) smaller and b) much closer to the engine itself so they 'light off' much sooner than the main cat. But, when the main cat 'lights off', u dont need the pre-cats anymore; even if u take them off, the difference in emissions output with/without the precats is minuscule -thats why cars pass DEQ no problem on just the main cat.

Bottom line, you will pollute a bit more for about three minutes with the precats gone. Obviously, your morals/ideals make this your decision
Yeah, funny thing about me and written laws. If it's on paper, them my morals say I have to obey. Strange that I drive above the speed limit all the time . Guess street signs don't count.
Good points about the limited amount of extra pollution, I'll have to seriously think about it before the work is done Friday. The thing that gets me is that I usually start the car cold in two locations: at home in the morning and at the office in the evening. So basically I'm polluting more at the two places that mean the most to me.
Old 11-06-2002, 08:35 AM
Maxima Pilot

yah...i gotta agree with you there...