5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Write-up on 5th Genner Max. Spark Plug Install.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2002, 06:53 AM

Write-up on 5th Genner Max. Spark Plug Install.

Well guys, did my research, got the car to 60K, decided to replace the spark plugs. Found the best price at O'Reilly Auto Parts(9.89 per plug)on the NGK-R Platinums. Gauged the gap last night, had them ready for an early morning install. Did the first three after taking off the front cover this morning, ten minutes tops, no problem. However, I'm having a real hard time with the rear ones. Does anyone out there have a write-up that they can post a link to or can anyone help an orgy brother out? I'm in dire straits, did the front ones, need to do the rear ones. By the way, for all of you thinking why I decided to do them at 60K, the first two that I took off were awful looking. The car was beginning to stall, just a little bit, at red lights. MPG was still as good as when the car was new, but I do hope to get a smoother running engine. Thanx you for your help to anyone that can help. Even if you don't have a write-up but have done it recently, please help.
Old 11-07-2002, 07:03 AM
Administrator

are cars are basically the same right?

http://64.252.156.63/tails/sparkplug.htm
Old 11-07-2002, 07:10 AM

I scanned it over quickly and I think that looks about the same. Thank you so much for your quick reply.
Old 11-07-2002, 08:22 AM
Very sound, Mike

Here's one for the 5th gen courtesy of Jay Naeem and Tan.

http://www.nissanx.net/tanman/
Old 11-07-2002, 10:03 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by soundmike
Here's one for the 5th gen courtesy of Jay Naeem and Tan.

http://www.nissanx.net/tanman/
Thanks for the props, but it was Jay's writeup .

Rubman, the rear bank isn't hard at all, you just need a long socket extension (10") and a magnetic rod. They're way down there and hard to get out without the magnet. I hope you have a spark plug socket as well (5/8" I think, but it has a rubber core to hold the plug snugly and safely when you install it). One or two of the rear coil packs are long and you'll have to wedge it out since it will hit the hood if you pull it straight up to get it out.

Can't think of anything else, I did the swap a month ago. I should have checked the gap, but I didn't have the tool. If you have any questions, pm me or post here.
Old 11-07-2002, 11:18 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The rear bank isn't too hard.

I attached the spark plug socket to the extension with electical tape - eliminated the need for the magnet.

Of course, you will need a small magnet pointer to get the screws in and out.
Old 11-07-2002, 04:11 PM

Re: Write-up on 5th Genner Max. Spark Plug Install.

You say your car was beginning to stall at red lights???

Mine is doing the same thing too. Everyone keeps ssying it is the MAF going bad. But, I don't think so. My car dies every 20 seconds.
If I tap the gas and bring the idle back up, it will happen again every 20 seconds.

Has you car still been stalling after replacing the plugs???

ADMAN
Old 11-07-2002, 06:45 PM

Re: Re: Write-up on 5th Genner Max. Spark Plug Install.

Originally posted by adman

Mine is doing the same thing too. Everyone keeps ssying it is the MAF going bad. But, I don't think so. My car dies every 20 seconds.
If I tap the gas and bring the idle back up, it will happen again every 20 seconds.

ADMAN
hey - got a "service engine" light on? get a free diagnostic at autozone and find out what's the problem.
Mine didn't stall but was shaking a lot. Had to replace one of the coils.
good luck.
Old 11-08-2002, 07:36 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Write-up on 5th Genner Max. Spark Plug Install.

Originally posted by adman

ADMAN
No. Not everyone has been saying it is the MAF.

Old 11-08-2002, 03:11 PM

Re: Re: Re: Write-up on 5th Genner Max. Spark Plug Install.

Originally posted by Max_Gator

No. Not everyone has been saying it is the MAF.

I know, I know...I will have them check the code and make sure the idle is set correctly.
But, I have to do it on my own dime now!!!

My car is no longer under warantee now. So, I'll have to see what the dealer says first.
Then, go from there. I'll let everyone know the outcome in case the same thing starts happening with them.

BTW: My neighbor just got a silver 350Z touring model. That now makes one 4th Gen Max,
a brand new 3.5L Altima and a Z. Bastards...

ADMAN
Old 11-17-2003, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by rubman
Even if you don't have a write-up but have done it recently, please help.

I just did my plugs and all six coils (thanks to Dave Burnette for the coils) about half an hour ago. The only one that's harder than the others is No. 6. Do what Jay says in the write-up and use the 10" extension. I taped (electrical tape is the best here) a 3" ext. on to the 10" to make it even a little easier. Jay says that he didn't have to remove his FSTB, but I had to undo one link and swing the FSTB up and out of the way.

It's really not that tough to do. Just don't drop one of the screws like I did. (It took me about 30 minutes just to find the damned thing.)
Avoid that pitfall and you're done in an hour and a half, tops.
Old 11-17-2003, 07:10 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Architect
I just did my plugs and all six coils (thanks to Dave Burnette for the coils) about half an hour ago. The only one that's harder than the others is No. 6. Do what Jay says in the write-up and use the 10" extension. I taped (electrical tape is the best here) a 3" ext. on to the 10" to make it even a little easier. Jay says that he didn't have to remove his FSTB, but I had to undo one link and swing the FSTB up and out of the way.

It's really not that tough to do. Just don't drop one of the screws like I did. (It took me about 30 minutes just to find the damned thing.)
Avoid that pitfall and you're done in an hour and a half, tops.
Hey! Sounds like exactly what I went through on Sunday. Took off the FSTB and dropped one of the nuts into the engine. Whole job took about 1 hour which included 25 minutes looking for the nut. Ended up that we couldn't find it after 20 minutes... So I prayed (a lot) and cranked the engine real quick... No loud explosion so I started it! Had to drive forward and backward and slam on the brakes about 5 times before it came loose!
Other than that, the job was pretty simple.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:08 AM

First changed plugs in my life a couple weeks back. the front were a breeze obviously. The rear I found that I had to disconnect both throttle cables from their mounting with an adjustable wrench, but that only takes a second or two (ok 60 maybe).

I used an extension and found that in fact for the 5th cylinder I think it was the extension was too long. However, since I had a medium and a short I just doubled them up on each other and got the right length

I don't have any magnetic tools at all. My extensions are very snug in my spark plug socket and you can pull pretty hard before they come out, so that worked well for me. Also, I lubed my plugs with dialectric grease (pick up a $.99 packet from any autozone) so that the socket would disengage from the plug a bit easier once I was done screwing it in.

In regards to the small bolts holding in the ignition coils I just undo them and very carefully use needlenose pliers so that I don't end up losing one in the engine bay somewhere...

I did all 6 coils a week back (thanks dave b also) and it took 30 min, but the plugs obviously will take a bit longer.