5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Criminal Mischief.............

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2002, 06:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Criminal Mischief.............

.....that is what the Police Incident Informatin slip reads under the heading of Crime.

I was at my office in NYC late this past Saturday night and had parked across the street in a parking lot. I am on the 12th floor and usually go to the windows on the North side of the building where I can see the parking lot (sometimes it is not lit past midnight with no attendants). I usually go by the windows every 1-2 hours to blip the alarm and make sure everythign is ok with the car.
Well, that morning when I went to the window to blip the alarm (we have great range on or key fobs ) at around 2am I couldn't get it to blip; and in the almost 2 years that I have been working there this has NEVER happend. I could barely make out the car from the 12th floor since the parking lot lights were off so I thought I better get down there......... When I get there I can't even unlock the doors with the fob so I use the key and when I get in I see the passenger's side glass is gone.....

Glass was all over the passenger seat but I noticed that the majority of the glass was in a heap on the seat held together by the tint......another good reason to tint your windows.

To make a log story short, they only took my 16 or so music cd's and that was it. They scratched the console a little bit also, it looked like they were thinking of getting the radio.....but didn't.

I wonder if they were gonna come back and steal my rims/tires or the car itself; I may have foiled their plans by checking on my car. Called the police and they were some cool young guys who loved my ride, especially the INJEN intake. One of them just bought the 2.5 Altima.......

This really bites......at least they didn't steal the car.
Old 11-11-2002, 07:03 PM

Dude that sucks. I always wonder we lock the doors on our cars??? It's not like it does anything but cause people to smash the window. My condolences But you're right, at least they didn't take the car.
Old 11-11-2002, 07:08 PM

my car was broken into 3 times in less than a year, each time they didn't take anything. first time in the bronx, last 2 in manhattan
Old 11-11-2002, 07:15 PM

Originally posted by Linh
my car was broken into 3 times in less than a year, each time they didn't take anything. first time in the bronx, last 2 in manhattan
I had an older car of mine broken into in the Bronx twice as well..in the same week! They smashed the window both times and it cost me $100 a pop for a car that was worth $500. To top it off, the cops gave me a ticket 3 days later for missing side markers (that they stole in another incident).

Criminals (and cops) suck. Where the hell were the cops when the car was broken into????? I had to go to the dealer and get 1987 Nissan Sentra side markers for $100. I was ready to kill someone!

Needless to say I moved out of the Bronx back into the burbs. THANK GOD!!!!
Old 11-11-2002, 07:18 PM

their heroics at 911 asise, NYPD blows ***. All they do is drive around handing out tickets
Old 11-11-2002, 07:21 PM
Banned

I'll NEVER drive my Max into the city for as long as I own it! If there's ever a Max meet in the city, I'm taking my mom's 92 Lincoln Town Car instead!
Old 11-11-2002, 07:34 PM

Originally posted by VQPowerSE
I'll NEVER drive my Max into the city for as long as I own it! If there's ever a Max meet in the city, I'm taking my mom's 92 Lincoln Town Car instead!

Nice to see another fellow Max owner that suffers for it like me. Do you also park ALL the way at the end of the lot in the corner spot? Decide if you are going to go out with everyone on the parking situation?
Old 11-11-2002, 07:44 PM
Banned

Originally posted by spta97

Nice to see another fellow Max owner that suffers for it like me. Do you also park ALL the way at the end of the lot in the corner spot? Decide if you are going to go out with everyone on the parking situation?
Haven't suffered it yet.......*Knocks on wood*, but I'd rather not take the chance. Any corner spot really, is fine, but if I'm stuck with a regular spot, I'll usually park further away where there are a whole bunch of empty spots around me, and some empty spots closer up for the "minivan mom's" to park in. I'm methodic in my ways.

Also, I move shopping carts that are 15ft away or closer onto curbs (hey, ya never know!)
Old 11-11-2002, 07:53 PM

I usually take the LIRR (Long Island Railroad) into the office but on Saturdays I like to drive in.............this may have to stop now that they broke into my Max.

I also "suffer" like you guys...I take corner parking spots away from everything and everyone and sometimes park at an angle to take up 2 spots.
Old 11-11-2002, 08:18 PM
Banned

Originally posted by SterlingMist00

I usually take the LIRR (Long Island Railroad) into the office but on Saturdays I like to drive in.............this may have to stop now that they broke into my Max.

I also "suffer" like you guys...I take corner parking spots away from everything and everyone and sometimes park at an angle to take up 2 spots.
Sorry to hear about your car, hopefully the cops will catch someone next time.

Yeah, as painful as the LIRR is, I'd rather take the train then drive in. One less headache for me to worry about.
Old 11-11-2002, 08:33 PM

Yeah, as painful as the LIRR is, I'd rather take the train then drive in. One less headache for me to worry about.
I hear ya. I take the LIRR too and it can suck at times. Especially on the weekends when it runs local and you end up at all the ghetto stops
Old 11-11-2002, 09:12 PM

as long as you dont park out over 8th avenue and higher then 98th you should be fine. I drive in all the time to the downtown and midtown and never had a problem except people sitting on your car. Where in manhatten is all this stuff happening at? i can't go to the movies in queens. stupid beautiful maxima.
Old 11-11-2002, 09:23 PM

Dude, sorry to hear about the events.. makes your want to ....
Anyway, I dont want to imagine some a**hole breaking into my whip. feel so violated! dont let me catch somebody
Old 11-11-2002, 11:46 PM

down in fl, parking at an angle is just asking for your car to get scratched. people will always park next to you no matter what
Old 11-12-2002, 02:53 AM

Always a corner spot. Usually far enough away that I have to drop off my passengers first and then park. Be careful with that 2 spot parking. A lot of jerks will go out of their way to mess with your car when they see that.
Old 11-12-2002, 07:04 AM

Originally posted by 03BlkSETE
Always a corner spot. Usually far enough away that I have to drop off my passengers first and then park. Be careful with that 2 spot parking. A lot of jerks will go out of their way to mess with your car when they see that.
That's true. The phillosiphy is "Why does this a-hole think he deserves 2 spots?". The best thing is to use people's laziness against them. If you park so far away that you have time for a smoke before you get to the building, chances are the people will not park next to your car.
Old 11-12-2002, 07:33 AM

I agree with you guys about the 2 spot parking; so I will qualify it.
I only take up 2 spots when I am at the farthest end of the mall (for example) and when the parking lots are less than half full. People will get annoyed when you take up 2 spots and the parking lot is close to full; then you are just asking for someone to come up and key your car.

Following that rule, so far no problems.
Old 11-12-2002, 07:39 AM

You need to get yourself a "daily driver" and save the Maxima for weekends in the country. Nice cars will always attract the rifraft.
Old 11-12-2002, 07:48 AM
pjalst

Criminals (and cops) suck. Where the hell were the cops when the car was broken into????? I had to go to the dealer and get 1987 Nissan Sentra side markers for $100. I was ready to kill someone!

The Cops suck because someone breaks into your car??? When you get pulled over for speeding you want cops to go after real criminals, now you want one posted in every parking garage?

Old 11-12-2002, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by Mark S.
You need to get yourself a "daily driver" and save the Maxima for weekends in the country. Nice cars will always attract the rifraft.
I don't necessarily need a "daily driver" since I commute to the office thru the railroad, but I can use the wife's Honda Civic (which I hooked up with Stillen x-drilled rotors, Axxis pads, SS lines and Dunlop SP5000s). I think going forward I will use her car to go to my office on Saturdays......maybe
Old 11-12-2002, 03:49 PM

It sounds like your alarm went off and was going off for quite awhile. According to you it sounded like your battery was dead when you got to your car. I see that you have dark dark windows. I've had cases were someone broke the window because they assumed they had something of value inside because of the dark tint and didn't steal anything. The only thing I can tell people is to not leave things of value in plain sight. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.
Old 11-12-2002, 09:16 PM

Cops

Nah. Here in Tampa,FL the cops are too busy trying to catch speeders with the laser guns. They need to make up for the price of the laser ($4,000 +). They waste time doing that and eating donuts while somebody is breaking into cars, houses, dealing with drugs,etc.

Yeah, as painful as the LIRR is, I'd rather take the train then drive

in.
e less headache for me to worry about.
Old 11-13-2002, 11:32 AM
pjalst

I don't necessarily need a "daily driver" since I commute to the office thru the railroad, but I can use the wife's Honda Civic (which I hooked up with Stillen x-drilled rotors, Axxis pads, SS lines and Dunlop SP5000s). I think going forward I will use her car to go to my office on Saturdays......maybe
That's why I moved out of the city, I work to hard to buy my car. I refuse to pay insurance to have my car sitting at home because I'm afraid to drive it somewhere. Why put all that work into Modding your car and you can't even enjoy it? I had 2 cars stolen and one broken into when I lived in Queens. I live upstate now and don't even lock my doors. It's a shame that you take so much time installing and bust your butt working to have nice things and some sc#mbag can destroy it all in a few minutes.

Old 11-13-2002, 12:14 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally posted by 03BlkSETE
Always a corner spot.
I sware by this rule myself. I take MAX into NYC just about every weekend. Down by the clubs on the west side as well. (not a pretty area) I've never had a single problem.

Always park on an Avenue and try for a corner spot. The busier the road or location you park your car, the less chance somebody will tamper with it. I saw a show on TV a while back on car theft rings. It was hosted by a ring leader after he got out of jail of course. That show showed how easily anybody can take your car. That show also pointed out where the theives look for cars. Dark streets with little action is a sure spot for trouble. The corners of busy streets are the least likely spots for trouble.

Park smart, be safe!
Old 11-13-2002, 12:27 PM

Park smart...HA!!!

My car got broken into Oct 19 at the mall in Tampa. I parked far away from everyone...flanked by a brand new Audi ,a Corvette, and a Porsche. Oh, yeah, I was DIRECTLY UNDER A LIGHT!

They stole my rader detector (which was hard wire, so they don't have the adaptor), my house keys (which have now been changed), and my cell phone (which they answered TWICE when I called...They had the nerve to ask me what I wanted!)

$1200 damage.

I do have dark tint, and they probably thought I had a stereo. I'll post pics on my website, soon.
Old 11-13-2002, 12:38 PM

(Off topic)

Hey Max34...you a Chicago Bears fan by any chance???
Old 11-13-2002, 01:58 PM

Originally posted by jamus34
(Off topic)

Not after last Sunday!

I was born in Chicago.
Old 11-13-2002, 01:59 PM

Originally posted by jamus34
(Off topic)

Not after last Sunday!

I was born in Chicago.
Old 11-13-2002, 07:03 PM
Banned

Re: Cops

Quoted Message:
Nah. Here in Tampa,FL the cops are too busy trying to catch speeders with the laser guns. They need to make up for the price of the laser ($4,000 +). They waste time doing that and eating donuts while somebody is breaking into cars, houses, dealing with drugs,etc.

Yeah, as painful as the LIRR is, I'd rather take the train then drive
in. less headache for me to worry about.

Old 11-14-2002, 09:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I hear ya. I take the LIRR too and it can suck at times. Especially on the weekends when it runs local and you end up at all the ghetto stops
Where are the "ghetto stops"? Please enlighten us
Old 11-24-2002, 03:58 PM
FJC

Originally posted by MAX4MVP

Where are the "ghetto stops"? Please enlighten us
It's like being on the 6 train when it runs local through Brook, Cypress, etc...