5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

How can I fix this!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2002, 11:09 AM

How can I fix this!

Well, dumb me can't be happy with anything. I changed my bumpers to clear. I then ordered the Red LED's for the rear bumpers. I used a large flat head screw driver to remove the lights. I now have massive marks around the lights on the bumper itself. How in the hell can I fix this? Can a body shop smooth them out? How should I have removed them?
Old 11-24-2002, 11:57 AM

I used a small to medium sized flat head with a cotton cloth around the head of the screw driver. I didnt get any marks. I am sure a body shop could fix it for you. Do you have any pics?

R
Old 11-24-2002, 12:06 PM
Doctorate in Detailing

A polish or swirl remover might get rid of them, if they're not deep. Massive marks?? They usually pop out pretty easily.

When taking mine out, I used a smaller screwdriver - a big one didn't work for me. It helps to put a cloth or rag between the screwdriver and the body panelto prevent scratches. Which end of the light did you try to pry out? I've done it from the end closest to the rear door.
Old 11-24-2002, 12:41 PM

you dont even need to use a screw driver. you can just push/slide the light towards the front of the car, compressing the spring that holds the light in. then use your finger and lift the back end out. no scratches at all.
Old 11-24-2002, 01:17 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bluesbrekr
[B]A polish or swirl remover might get rid of them, if they're not deep. Massive marks?? They usually pop out pretty easily.

i did that my self but i had hairline scratches.....what you need to do if you dont want to spend a $150-$200...is very simple in these steps:
materials:

wash rag (2 of them)
(1)water/soap
1200 grit sand paper
(2)warm water in side bucket
buffer & buffer pad(or lots of elbow work!!)
(1)car wax (try to use a soft wax like MEGUIAR'S cleaner wax)
(2)car wax (try to use a thick wax like TURTLE WAX or somthing to that nature)
paint(the color of your car)<---- can be found at local nissan dealer
steps:

1- wash scratched area(wash rag) with warm soapy water
2- the take a piece of your 1200 grit sand paper and soak it in the (2)bucket of warm water...when properly soaked(soft feeling to paper) lightly go over scratch marks so that they are even with the cars body. re-wetting sandpaper each time sandpaper tends to get dry is a good idea!
3- rinse area with warm water so that all fine pieces of paint and body are removed.
NOTE**** at this point you would want to notice that the sandpaper has left a type of residue on the body of the car...don't be alarmed with that. this is where the (1)car wax and buffer comes in to play!
4- take your buffer pad(or elbow) and apply a bit of (1)wax to. now at this time you will need to work fast.. now buff like crazy so that it is smooth and clean (NOTE**** GO IN ONE DIRECTION ONLY!)
5- let dry for an hour(hour is more then enough)
6- take your paint (color that matches car !!!) and paint evenly throught out scratch marks..be very careful when doing this...dont rush take your time!!!!
7- (after drying) the last step is to take your other rag and with the (2)THICK wax and (NOTE*** IN OPPOSTIE DIRECTION THAT CLEANER WAX WAS PUT ON!!!) go over area that was worked on... if you see swirls marks on the body that means that you need more elbow work into it...or try using another clean rag!

hope this helps and let me know what the outcome is!!! email or pm me if you need anymore assistance!!!
later man!!
Old 11-24-2002, 01:26 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: How can I fix this!

Originally posted by Virus
Well, dumb me can't be happy with anything. I changed my bumpers to clear. I then ordered the Red LED's for the rear bumpers. I used a large flat head screw driver to remove the lights. I now have massive marks around the lights on the bumper itself. How in the hell can I fix this? Can a body shop smooth them out? How should I have removed them?
u should have covered the tip of screwdriver with a piece of cloth when you removed the lenses...
Old 11-24-2002, 01:29 PM

Where did everyone place the screw driver? Mine were very hard to get out. OEM and Customaxima.com's. I used a large flat head and placed it middle to back to get it out. The first time getting the OEM ones out, I only marked one light grove. This time I messed the other back grove up. Most of it looks like it's paint that has bunched up and the urethane, while marked isn't going to kill me.
Old 11-24-2002, 01:37 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

i'm pretty careful about making sure the screwdriver doesnt leave marks, unfortunately the asshats that stole mine werent as careful.
Old 11-24-2002, 01:38 PM

Where did everyone place the screw driver? Mine were very hard to get out. OEM and Customaxima.com's. I used a large flat head and placed it middle to back to get it out. The first time getting the OEM ones out, I only marked one light grove. This time I messed the other back grove up. Most of it looks like it's paint that has bunched up and the urethane, while marked isn't going to kill me.
place screwdriver to the right of the sidemarker...push to the left then out...very easy!! use cloth in future to not mess up any paint
Old 11-24-2002, 02:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

sorry to hear about that bro. did any of the suggestions above help?
Old 11-24-2002, 04:08 PM

I think I'm going to have to wait until it's spring or summer again to do this. Won't putting on the paint in 40 - degree weather be a bad idea?
Old 11-24-2002, 04:25 PM

I think I'm going to have to wait until it's spring or summer again to do this. Won't putting on the paint in 40 - degree weather be a bad idea?
yes...thats very tru weather will take a toll on it! try doin all the steps until the paint that way every thing wont be noticible...i did mine the other day i live in jersey were the weather is around the 40's...mine is just fine! i will post pics if you would like...just let me know...
later man