5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I cracked me transverse caseing?!?!?!? HELP!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2002, 04:09 PM

I cracked my TRANSFER caseing?!?!?!? HELP!!!!!!!!!

*Sorry for the confusion, I meant to say transfer, not transverse. LoL

Okay, if anyone here can help, please put in your two cents!!!

So, I leave for work this morning and notice this nice sized puddle of something that had leaked overnight from my car?!?! So upon inspection it loooked like oil at first, but it seemed to be more like transmission fluid. Okay, so I call my dealer and he says bring it in after work. So when I got off, I took it straight to the dealership. They put it up on a rack and said the transverse casing was cracked and leaking fluid. So, what does this mean guys? The guy that looked at it said the whole transmission is gonna have to come out and more than likely be replaced. OMG! Has there been any recalls or TSB's on it? I know I had my transverselink fixed a while back, could that have anything to do with it? Like I said any help would be appreciated.

Thanx in advance!
Old 11-18-2002, 06:27 PM

anyone?
Old 11-18-2002, 06:47 PM

Originally posted by Maxima-Ness
anyone?
sorry. don't know anything about trannies. altho i thought the transverse link was part of the suspension.

i think i read something about a recall for some 2k1 and 2k2 maximas to have their transverse links replaced since some of them could crack and separate from the frame. that's prolly what you had done.

i'm not sure how that could necessitate the replacement of your tranny.
Old 11-18-2002, 06:57 PM

Originally posted by serin

sorry. don't know anything about trannies. altho i thought the transverse link was part of the suspension.

i think i read something about a recall for some 2k1 and 2k2 maximas to have their transverse links replaced since some of them could crack and separate from the frame. that's prolly what you had done.

i'm not sure how that could necessitate the replacement of your tranny.
No, this has to do with the transmission. He called it the transverse caseing, and it was clearly a part of the transmission. Ive already had the transverse link replaced about a month or two ago.
Old 11-18-2002, 07:16 PM

i haven't had mine replaced so i don't know. but i read that they crack where they mount to the car. is it close enough to the tranny where it could have an effect?

i have no clue just spittin out ideas.
Old 11-18-2002, 08:16 PM

Originally posted by serin
i haven't had mine replaced so i don't know. but i read that they crack where they mount to the car. is it close enough to the tranny where it could have an effect?

i have no clue just spittin out ideas.
Go Here-----

http://www.greghome.com/images/Maxim...xSE-YPipe1.jpg

Okay, this pic works best to describe what the problem is. (just found it surfing the web, this is not my car). You see the transmission (silver in color) with the five gold bolts? on the third one down from the top there is a crack that extends from just above the bolt down along the underside towards the fourth and fifth bolts. its very tiny, but leaking.
Old 11-18-2002, 08:46 PM

Not a mechanic

but it seems to me that unless you hit it (e.g. pothole) that it would have to be a factory defect. Were there any signs of the casing being hit?
Old 11-18-2002, 08:51 PM

Re: Not a mechanic

Originally posted by ajahearn
but it seems to me that unless you hit it (e.g. pothole) that it would have to be a factory defect. Were there any signs of the casing being hit?
I was asked if I hit anything recently because a plastic part that was in front of the engine, kinda like a guard, was damaged. But I dont remember hitting anything. Ive hit several potholes, been down roads that were torn up for repaving, ran over a couple possoms, speed bumps all sorts of crap, but ive never bottomed it out (that I can remember), and i definately dont remember hitting any deep pot holes or anything like that in the last month or so and this just happened all of a sudden. Maybe if I did hit something, it just made a tiny fracture and it has grown over time. I can see now that were getting into colder weather how the warming of the engine and the freezing of the night can stress even the tinyest crack. I think its a defect because i would have had to blatently ran over a cement pilar at 60mph to have hurt the casing that bad.
Old 11-19-2002, 03:50 PM

I meant to say "transfer" not transverse. sorry
Old 11-19-2002, 05:49 PM

What is it that hits when parking up against a curb or parking block at the front of the car? I have noticed that 'something' will hit if I have passengers in the car if I pull up till the wheels bump the parking bumper. I don't think the transfer case is up that far, but I am not sure? Just a thought though, if that's what it is, I suppose it could be damaged from bad parking or something. Dunno.
Old 11-19-2002, 07:03 PM

Originally posted by 2002Maxxxima
What is it that hits when parking up against a curb or parking block at the front of the car? I have noticed that 'something' will hit if I have passengers in the car if I pull up till the wheels bump the parking bumper. I don't think the transfer case is up that far, but I am not sure? Just a thought though, if that's what it is, I suppose it could be damaged from bad parking or something. Dunno.
naah youre scraping the plastic shields or protectors that are attached underneath the front bumper and run back until they get to the oil pan. you can see them somewhat in the link to the pic I gave earlier. look towards the front of the car.

but as an update, the nissan tech said he didnt find anything wrong with the car at all, its just there was oil on the bottom of the car from a sloppy oil change. I told them to look again and have someone else look too. I know I ran my fingers across the transfer case and got some reddish puke that shouldnt be there. now theyre saying theres nothing wrong? yea right.
Old 11-19-2002, 10:00 PM

What about the crack you talked

about around the 3rd bolt? Plus your (hypoid) fluid level will be low. That should be pretty easy to check.
Old 11-20-2002, 04:44 PM

Re: What about the crack you talked

Originally posted by ajahearn
about around the 3rd bolt? Plus your (hypoid) fluid level will be low. That should be pretty easy to check.
Well, they called and said it was done this morning and nothing was wrong. but for some reason they decided to keep it another day and look at it again. WTF!? Anywayz, I should know the ruling tomorrow.

The crack is a small small hairline fracture running from the third bolt as i had said all down the bottom of the casing. but it might just be where the mold was cast. but that still doesnt explain the fluid loss.