5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Poor throttle response, bad shift points

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2000, 09:40 PM
hard8

Had the TCM done a while back. The TPS was adjusted? and now it:
Shifts thru 2-3 shift. Shifts at 2000 rpm and goes to third at 2100 under normal pedal. I would think it should hold at least till 2500 like other shift points.

Downshifts at anytime with mild or gradual throttle pressure. Real annoying, if someone slows down in front of you and you accelerate to resume speed, the trans downshifts instead of picking up speed again. Sometimes it will shift from 4th to 2nd?

When slowing down to coast speed to turn right at a light that turns green, if you go to accelerate to get in traffic flow there is no response, when you increase throttle it just downshifts like a cheap 4 cylinder.

When locked up(torque convertor) in 4th, there is little throttle response and any kind of medium pedal effort causes a forced downshift.

Overall pedal response seems anemic, and seems way too under responsive. Is all of this the TPS setting, TCM that is bad still, bad trans, combo of all above, or something different?

Old 12-29-2000, 08:13 PM

I've noticed some of what you describe, such as downshifting often. I had my TCM replaced a few weeks ago to fix the 1->2 shift delay problem, but other nuisances exist. I chalk it up to "that's just the way it is". Perhaps a VB mod/shift kit will address some of these items on your list. I don't know, just guessing.
Old 12-29-2000, 09:48 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

to be honest...

after the TCM, I cannot seem to grasp any clear pattern of what the shifting is doing.. its a different car every day. One day, slips like crazy. next day, still cold but wont slip a bit. One day it will slip warm, then wont for days. Sometimes I get instantaneous downshifts, more often than not, but i cant really characterize it as being a certain way. I think they added a 'confusion circuit' in there. I really watch my car closely and I've just thrown my hands up. If it spews the tranny, so be it. All I can do is drive it gingerly (like I always have - heck I wouldnt even dyno at the meet) and hope for the best. Its frustrating trying to figure out what its doing. besides, I can get together a huge list of issues I have with it, and each scenario it occurs, but the dealer will just bring it back after 3 mins driving it from the bay to the service area and say 'cannot reproduce'

Old 12-29-2000, 10:52 PM

I don't expect anything, actually. If I have to cross 3, 4, or 5 lanes of traffic, it's floored. If I'm going to pass somebody or maneuver quickly and with authority, my foot is prepared to hammer it or feather the throttle, whichever may be the case. I suppose it is something I have grown accustomed to, the finicky nature of the Maximum transmission.
Old 12-29-2000, 11:20 PM

I drove on a road trip to cali for christmas. On the way back I had to pull off the road to clean up a spill in the car. When mergeing back on I had the car floored and suprise the slippage happend. Only it was really bad, when it finally shifted, it slammed into gear so bad that the car swerved. This all happend as I was crossing the textured pavement at the edge of the road that wakes up sleeping drivers. Anyway, this seems like a safety issue to me. But now you guys are makin me scared to get the TCM done. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and go for the VB.