5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2K1 5spd Transmission Problem???

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2002, 09:50 PM

2K1 5spd Transmission Problem???

I have had the Stillen SS for about 3-4 months and for the past two weeks the throws from 2-3-4 have become extremely notchy esp 3rd. Finally took it to the shop that installed it and they said it definitely doesn't feel right. The guy said that the shifter feels fine, but there might be sth wrong in the tranny, but he couldn't say for sure until they open it up. I am taking the car in tomorrow for them to check the transmission.

Have any 2K1 5sp owners experienced similar problems? I am not sure exactly what the problems is...perhaps it just needs a transmission flush. I have around 38K miles on the car.

ANY OPINIONS...COMMENTS ??? Thanks
Old 11-22-2002, 10:14 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: 2K1 5spd Transmission Problem???

Originally posted by Smokin' X-press
I have had the Stillen SS for about 3-4 months and for the past two weeks the throws from 2-3-4 have become extremely notchy esp 3rd. Finally took it to the shop that installed it and they said it definitely doesn't feel right. The guy said that the shifter feels fine, but there might be sth wrong in the tranny, but he couldn't say for sure until they open it up. I am taking the car in tomorrow for them to check the transmission.

Have any 2K1 5sp owners experienced similar problems? I am not sure exactly what the problems is...perhaps it just needs a transmission flush. I have around 38K miles on the car.

ANY OPINIONS...COMMENTS ??? Thanks
Have you tried putting the stock shifter back on and seeing if you still are having the same problem?
Old 11-23-2002, 08:02 AM
Maxima Pilot

Very unusual as the five-speed is generally

considered to be nearly bulletproof...I would look for either the shifter to be a problem..if that checks okay then bleed the clutch hydraulics before you suspect the tranny any further.
Old 11-23-2002, 02:43 PM

Thanks for the replies.

The shop took the shifter assembly apart and lubed everything. It feels a lot better, but the guy is still not a 100% satisfied. He says that he feels that there could be sth in the transmission, but he recommended that I install the stock shifter first, before opening the tranny. I am not sure exactly what to do first. I am thinking of flushing the transmission (ie is this the same as what Galo recommended ie bleed the clutch hydraulics)before i put the shifter back in as installing the stock and then replacing the STS back would cost me around $140.

Hey Jim, I spoke to you a month back before i got the Eibach and Tokico combo installed by Payn Technologies in Troy, MI. Let me know if you have had any similar problems. It would give me a good idea to see how your STS feels before, I go any further. PM me if you can.

Thanks...
Old 11-24-2002, 06:51 PM
Maxima Pilot

Smokin...not..tranny flush is not the same

thing as I'm suggesting.
The fact that you seem to have sporadic engagement problems (not all the time in every gear) leads me to wonder if you have some air bubbles in the hydraulic lines that go from the clutch master cylinder (actuated by the clutch pedal) down to the clutch slave cylinder down by the tranny....on the bell housing.

It's the fluid pumped by the master cylinder that moves the slave which in turn disengages the clutch itself....I ran into that problem once many years ago in a friends' rally car which I played around with a bit & was exhibiting the same inconsistent clutch release/engagement problems I'm inferring your car to be doing.

You bleed it exactly like you would bleed brakes...cheap first step before a full tranny flush...