5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

ticking fan motors... sick of it..

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2002, 10:09 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

ticking fan motors... sick of it..

the maxima and the pathfinder have the same fan motor. I've had them both replaced (as per the TSB) and they are both ticking at low speeds again. I'm surprised no one else has really had problems with this. Its quite annoying and loud when the fan is at low speeds. If you crank up the AC or Heat, it stops ticking but thats not an option.

Its not a cheap item either, like $100.. and its a totally non rebuildable/serviceable motor Oh well, I havent tracked all my new winter rattles and squeaks yet, so for the meantime that will keep me distracted.
Old 11-27-2002, 07:14 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

the maxima and the pathfinder have the same fan motor. I've had them both replaced (as per the TSB) and they are both ticking at low speeds again. I'm surprised no one else has really had problems with this. Its quite annoying and loud when the fan is at low speeds. If you crank up the AC or Heat, it stops ticking but thats not an option.
normally im real sensitive to all kind of noises but i havent noticed the fan ticking until recently. i rarely have it over one fan but its definetely there. i have not take it in for the tsb but it doesnt seem from your comments that anything would be solved regardless.
Old 11-27-2002, 07:17 AM

second that

I have to bring my car in for that TSB... is the TSB mentioned specifically about the waranty term?
How could I obtain a copy of this TSB the number is
99-071A FEB 00 Blower Motor - Noise?

Thanks
Old 11-27-2002, 08:10 AM

Re: ticking fan motors... sick of it..

Originally posted by TimW

Its not a cheap item either, like $100.. and its a totally non rebuildable/serviceable motor Oh well, I havent tracked all my new winter rattles and squeaks yet, so for the meantime that will keep me distracted.
Dunno if it will help or not, Tim- There's an updated fan motor, it's a lot cheaper @ $47.00. It allegedly requires a $7 plastic cover, too. Hmm..
Old 11-27-2002, 08:16 AM

Re: Re: ticking fan motors... sick of it..

Originally posted by DAVEB

Dunno if it will help or not, Tim- There's an updated fan motor, it's a lot cheaper @ $47.00. It allegedly requires a $7 plastic cover, too. Hmm..
Hey, Tim, mine does it, too. It bugs the living crap out of me. I have taken it in, but I get the infamous, 'can't duplicate the problem'. This is from my 'good dealer', too - the one that replaced my TSM way back when. I can't stand it.

By passenger seat squeaks slightly, too when nobody sits in it. I think my car is falling apart.
Old 11-27-2002, 08:18 AM

Re: Re: Re: ticking fan motors... sick of it..

Originally posted by blackY2Kmax

Hey, Tim, mine does it, too. It bugs the living crap out of me. I have taken it in, but I get the infamous, 'can't duplicate the problem'. This is from my 'good dealer', too - the one that replaced my TSM way back when. I can't stand it.

By passenger seat squeaks slightly, too when nobody sits in it. I think my car is falling apart.
try running it at low fan mode..
and it'll be there
Old 11-27-2002, 09:37 AM

Hey Dave! Thanks, that price is 1/2 what it was last time. And yeah, I was throwing my hands up on that original motor.. The last one didnt last 6 months. *supposedly* I have the cover :/

Might have to give you a call on that one soon. Even if I can get warranty, its not worth it dealing with them. $50 is only alittle more than a filter, and it can be replaced in 15 mins. Beats the runaround and 3 visits, just to get another crappy motor (I doubt they have the new revision in stock either).
Old 11-27-2002, 03:50 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

ive got the blower motor problem too. i had it checked out a while back adn they said to bring it in to get the cover replaced cuz of the TSB but for some reason i never went back...i should probably do that. anyways my mom just bought a new pathfinder monday and hers doesnt make the ticking. i dunno it is very annoying tho..
Old 11-29-2002, 03:33 PM

Yeh, I have it too - bugs the hell out of me. I heard it was actually a different cover and that is part of the TSB. I hadn't heard there was an updated motor - have to look into that.

15 minutes to replace? Do tell! I haven't looked around there yet, but for 15 minutes, you must have a good trick.
Old 11-29-2002, 05:10 PM

I took mine in for the same, and got the could not duplicate crap, but they did order a cover. Haven't had that in yet though
Old 11-29-2002, 09:17 PM

Originally posted by Pat DiPersia
Yeh, I have it too - bugs the hell out of me. I heard it was actually a different cover and that is part of the TSB. I hadn't heard there was an updated motor - have to look into that.

15 minutes to replace? Do tell! I haven't looked around there yet, but for 15 minutes, you must have a good trick.
Well, depends which time you go in there - can be actually the case. If I recall correctly it takes glove box screws and 3 more for the motor itself. Definetely less than waiting at the dealership.

Mike.
Old 11-29-2002, 10:52 PM

Pine needles in mine...

try popping it out or taking a look at it...i had pine needles in mine which caused the ticking noise. Nissan service told me if i brought it in again and they find the same problem again, they will void my warranty in that area. well, i just rolled passed 36k...so i don't think warranty applies to me anymore.

btw...it's starting to tick again. i guess i'll have to do it mine.
Old 11-30-2002, 12:23 AM

yeah.. thats what they told me too. Sure thats what it sounded like. But I told them nevermind and went home and opened it up. I found that the motor had spun out its grease, no debris what so ever, and I park ALOT under a huge pine tree. I am constantly cleaning out pine needles from that area and not one has gotten in there in 3 years. I'm not ever sure you could get a pine needle down there easily. Since I've had 4 out of 4 fans do this between our max and pathfinder, I suspect they were just giving you some BS.

So I came back when I found out the motor was so pricey. I told them it was clear of debris. They said "they would determine that". Again, they started giving me the run around. I was like "I *know* there's a bulletin on this, what's the big f'n deal here?" Presto, new motor. ugh...

if it does it only at low speed and then pretty much goes away after the motor warms up, its the motor.