5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

A Mustang challenge was made...

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2000, 09:02 PM

I visited my family at Christmas time and also visited a friend of mine of routinely does car work for friends, family, anybody who needs work done. He is quite handy with the tools, and has a nice garage with all of the fixin's. He is a Mustang guy. He was telling me of his '90 Mustang he had been rebuilding the motor on, along with a used supercharger he picked up.

I was talking trash with him. I called his car a "rustang", he called me a "rice boy", etc. I was unaware of exactly what he had thrown together under the hood.

He suggeted we race. I told him "ok", but I want my intake and y-pipe first, plus a head start. He said "ok".

He invested 10K in the engine, which includes the used supercharger, I found out. He loaded it with just above every good part he could get. He mostly wanted the good stuff in there to make good HP and to see what it could do.

He took me for a test ride. All I can say is, "dddddaaaaammmmnnnnnn", that thing about ripped my neck off! Let me say it again, "dddddaaaaammmmnnnnnn". The trees "were a blur". All I heard were tires barking all the way up until 4th gear. He estimates it over 400 HP. I don't doubt it. It's too bad the tires kept breaking loose or the trees may have been more solid looking, and not blury. It was a convertible, thus no grab handles.

It was actually a thrill to take a ride like that, to see what big HP feels like and what it can do. It made me think of what accerlation a Viper or a Corvette might have. I am not comparing the Mustang to a Viper by no means, but the sheer horsepower was unbelievable. I was definetely impressed.

I backed out of the challenge.

It WAS fun, though, taking that ride. More fun than a rollercoaster. I didn't mention the performance mods I had planned.