5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

ATF Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2002, 12:14 PM
The Definitive AE Master

ATF Question

Well i've done lots of reading on this subject and have used search function. Alot of you guys recommend the atf to be replaced at 25k miles, which I am at right now. I went out today to see how dirty the atf is by putting some on a white piece of paper (not sure if this is accurate, but I saw the dealer do it) I provided a link below where two of the pictures are in my maxima gallery. I'm not sure whether I should wait till the atf is dirty, just replace with dino atf by getting a tranny flush (or maybe I don't need a tranny flush), slowly replace the dino oil with synthetic by draining in intervals, or just tranny flush new synthetic in there. Please advise, thanks in advance.

www.pbase.com/larrio/maxima
Old 12-10-2002, 03:30 PM
The Definitive AE Master

bump
Old 12-10-2002, 03:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What I would do is change the oil anyways at that mileage so you can get back the nice silky smoothness of the shifts.

I dont think you need to flush it, just remove the tranny oil pan, let it drain, and replace and then refil. If I remeber correctly we put like 8-9 qts in there.

Dixit
Old 12-10-2002, 03:52 PM
The Definitive AE Master

Originally posted by BigDogJonx
What I would do is change the oil anyways at that mileage so you can get back the nice silky smoothness of the shifts.

I dont think you need to flush it, just remove the tranny oil pan, let it drain, and replace and then refil. If I remeber correctly we put like 8-9 qts in there.

Dixit
hmm.. is it hard to remove the oil pan? BTW bigdog.. are you running synthetic for your atf especially since you got a SC now?
Old 12-10-2002, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by Larrio

hmm.. is it hard to remove the oil pan? BTW bigdog.. are you running synthetic for your atf especially since you got a SC now?
if u decided to remove the pan, make sure u will get a pan gasket in case the old one is not in good shape.

u can flush the system by un-hooking the hose to the radiator and then turn on the car. Almost everything will come out (besides some left in the torque convertor), just make sure that you will not shift it to any gear when there is no ATF in the tranny.

after u put new ATF in, u will have to check the level again in a week or 2. The ATF will expand after break-in period and over-filling the ATF will add a lot of stress onto the tranny.

enjoy~
Old 12-10-2002, 04:43 PM
The Definitive AE Master

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]

if u decided to remove the pan, make sure u will get a pan gasket in case the old one is not in good shape.

u can flush the system by un-hooking the hose to the radiator and then turn on the car. Almost everything will come out (besides some left in the torque convertor), just make sure that you will not shift it to any gear when there is no ATF in the tranny.

after u put new ATF in, u will have to check the level again in a week or 2. The ATF will expand after break-in period and over-filling the ATF will add a lot of stress onto the tranny.

enjoy~
thanks for the advice. It sure is hard to check the level of the atf since the dip stick is so long that every time I wipe it clean and stick it back down .. I can't seem to get a good reading. When it was cold today... the thing was like double over the cold area on the stick.

i'm assuming your running synthetic also?
Old 12-10-2002, 04:51 PM

thanks for the advice. It sure is hard to check the level of the atf since the dip stick is so long that every time I wipe it clean and stick it back down .. I can't seem to get a good reading. When it was cold today... the thing was like double over the cold area on the stick.
I have a tranny temp gauge....usually I check it around 150F and I always use HOT area. I dont trust the reading on the COLD area. If you dont have one, I would just drive a around the local for 10 - 15 minutes and make sure it goes thru all 4 gears. Then check it when u have the shift selector in P.

i'm assuming your running synthetic also?
yup, synthetic provides better protection and longer ATF life. But nothing beats scheduled maintenance.
Old 12-10-2002, 05:12 PM
The Definitive AE Master

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]
[B]

I have a tranny temp gauge....usually I check it around 150F and I always use HOT area. I dont trust the reading on the COLD area. If you dont have one, I would just drive a around the local for 10 - 15 minutes and make sure it goes thru all 4 gears. Then check it when u have the shift selector in P.

yup, synthetic provides better protection and longer ATF life. But nothing beats scheduled maintenance.
well i was reading through the owners manual and it doesn't say when to replace the atf, but rather only when to inspect it, which is like every 15k miles.. i think.

so I can check the hot area on the dip stick when the car is in idle, right? It doesn't have to be turned off?

Thanks for the advice, i'm planning to switch to synthetic cause I'm hitting the drag strip this sunday
Old 12-10-2002, 06:07 PM

well i was reading through the owners manual and it doesn't say when to replace the atf, but rather only when to inspect it, which is like every 15k miles.. i think.

so I can check the hot area on the dip stick when the car is in idle, right? It doesn't have to be turned off?

Thanks for the advice, i'm planning to switch to synthetic cause I'm hitting the drag strip this sunday
owner's manual will not tell u how to replace it. They want you to take it to the dealer. To inspect it, just make sure it is not black, does not smell burnt and fluid should not contain any metal shavings. When u take off the pan, get some break cleaner and clean the pan and then mangets on there. Usually dealer does not clean those and they use a machine to suck out all the ATF.

The car has to be turned on in order to check ATF. When the car is off, the ATF will stay 2 inches above the HOT area. Once you start the car, the tranny will suck down the ATF.

good luck~ and for tranny and engine, it is always good to have a bit less of fluid than overfilling it. I suggested to keep at low operational range.
Old 12-10-2002, 08:16 PM

Not replacing the ATF is one of the most common reasons why an automatic transmission fails. Usually, by the time a person notices any problems, the damage is already done. You can fully change the ATF for less than $100, how much do you think a new tranny is? This is not one area to skimp on maintenance.
Old 12-11-2002, 12:37 AM
The Definitive AE Master

yea.. good point. Thanks alot for the help, I just wanted to get everything straight before I go through with the change to synthetic. I've had the car for 2 years, 25k miles and the tranny fluid looks okay but i decided I will still change it.
Old 12-11-2002, 12:47 AM

yea.. good point. Thanks alot for the help, I just wanted to get everything straight before I go through with the change to synthetic. I've had the car for 2 years, 25k miles and the tranny fluid looks okay but i decided I will still change it.
You know I was told by the tech that works on trannys for years and he did my valve body and he swore by the fact that redline or any other synthetic is going to do nothing for your tranny. His exact words were "Put it in if it makes you feel better"

So I let him put in the normal D3 stuff. Im not saying I dont believe in the synthetic, just saying this is something a tranny tech himself said.

Dixit
Old 12-11-2002, 01:34 AM
The Definitive AE Master

You know I was told by the tech that works on trannys for years and he did my valve body and he swore by the fact that redline or any other synthetic is going to do nothing for your tranny. His exact words were "Put it in if it makes you feel better"

So I let him put in the normal D3 stuff. Im not saying I dont believe in the synthetic, just saying this is something a tranny tech himself said.

Dixit
hey, i'm open to all advice. Thanks for your input bigdog, if I don't leave the maxima community next year.. hopefully i'll be boosted like you.
Old 12-11-2002, 07:48 AM

Dixit
His business is also transmission repair, so he's probably a little biased.

Since the same can be said of me, I should say that regardless of whether or not a synthetic is used, the ATF should still be changed.
Old 12-11-2002, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by iwannabmw

His business is also transmission repair, so he's probably a little biased.

Since the same can be said of me, I should say that regardless of whether or not a synthetic is used, the ATF should still be changed.
Very true there. Good point. But then again he knew I wasnt driving another 250miles again to get my tranny repaired from him. He was more into straight performance modding.

Dixit