5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

How-to remove the rear deck?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2002, 05:20 PM

How-to remove the rear deck?

Can someone please give me detailed instructions, preferably with pictures, of how to remove the rear deck. I have subs in my car and that deck friggin raddles louder than anything! I've been stuffing t-shirts in there through the small openings, but i think i could do a more effective job if i took off the whole rear deck and layed something in there. Thanks!
Old 12-15-2002, 06:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

hmmm just a suggestion, but wouldnt it sound a bit better if u flipped ur box around? arnt those rear firing speaker? and when did u get ur injen in? i didnt even know about that or ur clear corners.
Old 12-15-2002, 07:26 PM

Right now i have my subs facing the front of the car, but if it will make it sound harder, i'll turn it around...

I got my injen installed like 2-3 weeks ago, and I got my rear clear corners about 2 months ago, and my fronts about 2 weeks ago. Got tint 2 weeks ago also, so my car is finally starting to take shape!
Old 12-15-2002, 07:41 PM

damn man uve been puttin work into ur car i didnt even know about, the subs i knew about. not tryin to be a know it all but try to flip ur box around and put it a few inches away front the trunk lid, just enough for the speaker excursion (3-4") is more then enough. some speakers hit harder the closer they are placed toward the read give it a try its not like u got anything to lose if it sounds better then great if not u can always flip in around again.
Old 12-15-2002, 09:25 PM

I'm interested in doing this as well. I just want to stop my bose sub from rattling.
Old 12-15-2002, 09:26 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Flip it around.
Old 12-15-2002, 09:29 PM

damn finally im not a newbie anymore! damn POS account. damn andy were have u been? did u get the manifold fixed? or was that even the probelm?
Old 12-16-2002, 09:24 AM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Originally posted by HitManSE
damn finally im not a newbie anymore! damn POS account. damn andy were have u been? did u get the manifold fixed? or was that even the probelm?
I haven't been posting as much as I used to. Been busy. I get married this weekend and the modding and internet usage is going to come to a screeching halt after that.

Haven't gotten my VIAS looked at yet. I'm starting to care less and less about it. Dealing with some minor financial issues right now.....
Old 12-16-2002, 10:26 AM

Re: How-to remove the rear deck?

Originally posted by PHATMAN5050
Can someone please give me detailed instructions, preferably with pictures, of how to remove the rear deck. I have subs in my car and that deck friggin raddles louder than anything! I've been stuffing t-shirts in there through the small openings, but i think i could do a more effective job if i took off the whole rear deck and layed something in there. Thanks!
just to let you know....its a pain in the a$$....I will post pics and the page from the esm...gimme a few minutes and they will be up

nette
Old 12-16-2002, 11:01 AM
Zog

How 'bout this ?

Does anyone get bad rattling out of the parcel shelf when going over bumps and whatnot ? Even w/ my subs (if you wanna call them that) aren't on sometimes when i go over an expansion gap or something i get a rattling noise that's pretty awful. Anyone ?
Old 12-16-2002, 11:08 AM

Re: Re: How-to remove the rear deck?

Originally posted by ms.thicknes

just to let you know....its a pain in the a$$....I will post pics and the page from the esm...gimme a few minutes and they will be up

nette
ok...go to this page....

http://users.adelphia.net/~annettej/

I hope it helps!!!

nette
Old 12-16-2002, 11:55 AM

Re: Re: Re: How-to remove the rear deck?

ok...go to this page....

http://users.adelphia.net/~annettej/

I hope it helps!!!

nette
Oh man, where were these when I was doing it?

Good instructions, I just wanted to add

1) The rear seat can be removed by pulling on the 2 tabs in the front of it and pulling the seat up.

2) The rear pillars (b-pillar?) also hold down the rear deck. They are just held in by clips.

3) If you don't have kids, I would ditch the child seat anchors (noisy little f*ers).
Old 12-16-2002, 01:00 PM

Excellent find. Being that I am 16, i do not have kids nor will i have them while i still have the car on the lease. (3 years) Now that i know how to lift up the deck, what do you all suggest i put in there? Would old shirts stop the rattling as well as something like dynamat? I'm looking for a more-cheap method to stop the rattling, so paying for a $200 dynamat kit is not in my interest. Thanks!
Old 12-16-2002, 01:17 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Excellent find. Being that I am 16, i do not have kids nor will i have them while i still have the car on the lease. (3 years) Now that i know how to lift up the deck, what do you all suggest i put in there? Would old shirts stop the rattling as well as something like dynamat? I'm looking for a more-cheap method to stop the rattling, so paying for a $200 dynamat kit is not in my interest. Thanks!
If providing more "thickness" is the correction desired. Could you not use rolled "packing foam"? Not the bubble type but like the thin yellow/light orange stuff you find in some packing? They used to sell it at Office Depot, but its been a few years since I have worked let alone set foot in there.

I would think T-shirts would be a sorta 1/2 assed way to do this. Plus might give you "bumpy" results.
Old 12-16-2002, 02:01 PM

they sell a material at lowes (the home improvement place) that is very similar to dynamat. it should deaden the area nicely. it is called peel 'n seal. it is fairly cheap, and it is sold in the roofing area. it comes in rolls.
Old 12-16-2002, 03:00 PM

Originally posted by Colonel

If providing more "thickness" is the correction desired. Could you not use rolled "packing foam"? Not the bubble type but like the thin yellow/light orange stuff you find in some packing? They used to sell it at Office Depot, but its been a few years since I have worked let alone set foot in there.

I would think T-shirts would be a sorta 1/2 assed way to do this. Plus might give you "bumpy" results.
actually I used two of those sponges from discount auto that are 2 for a buck...the thick yellow ones...they worked perfectly!!!
Old 12-16-2002, 10:13 PM

Zach save urself some trouble and try to flip it around first and see how it sounds, then if necessary remove the rear deck, it really is a pain in the a$$.
Old 12-17-2002, 02:20 AM

i don't think turning the subs around will help. if anything it might even make the rattling a little worse. JMO.
Old 12-17-2002, 06:15 AM

What I did...

..is get some egg crates from K-Mart ($9 for a twin size). They are a matress pad of yellow foam. It solved about 95% of the rattles I was having in the car. I would stay away from Dynomat and Peal & Seal for the rear deck. It is such a small space that it would be very difficult to work in that small an area. I just took out the rear deck, cut the foam egg crates into the proper shape and spray glued it on.

The egg crates are pretty thick so I decided to not push down the factory clips on the flat part and allow the rear pillars & the front clips to hold it down. You can't tell the difference from any angle and that helps a lot with the sound deadening because it is only contacting with the foam.

It would also be a good idea to get some air conditioning foam weather stripping from home depot (about $7). This is a good size to shove at the back of the window so the rear deck gets pushed up and doesn't vibrate.

Turning your box around will make it sound louder, but will only increase the rattle. I would try that if you want more slam (it's like night and day).

If you feel like going nuts, get Peal & Seal instead of dynomat. Now I have not had any experiance with Dynomat (just to f'in expensive) but I Peal & Sealed mine and my friend's trunks. What a huge difference it made. I also used a heat gun to get the material nice and tacky and then went over it with my hand (wear gloves - ouch). That makes the system sound much tighter and louder.

I'm all about economical ways to deaden sound! Ask away!

Oh, taking off the rear deck is a piece of cake. After doing it once you can do it with your eyes closed. Just remember that none of the clips need to be forced. Everything will come off easy if you do it right.
Old 12-17-2002, 09:08 PM

Re: What I did...

Originally posted by spta97

Turning your box around will make it sound louder, but will only increase the rattle. I would try that if you want more slam (it's like night and day).
Yeah it is a night and day diff of the bass that is, but the point it the bass will be so loud that u wont be able to hear the rattling btw nice info about the egg crate things, i never even though of that. most probably ur right about removing the rear deck as well, ive just never done it thats why i said its a pain, but once uve done something once it get easier and faster the next time and even easier after.
Old 12-17-2002, 09:14 PM

Yesterday, while installing my hyperwhite bulbs in my car, steve and i turned my subs around. What a difference in how the bass is, it is litterally 2x harder!! The rattling is still there, but I love feeling the subsonic beats hit my chest while i drive! Now to completely get rid of the rattling...
Old 12-17-2002, 09:17 PM

Hey John, you interested in helping me out with this little project in the next two weeks that i have off from school? Any help from anyone in PHX would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!
Old 12-17-2002, 09:20 PM

Yesterday, while installing my hyperwhite bulbs in my car, steve and i turned my subs around. What a difference in how the bass is, it is litterally 2x harder!! The rattling is still there, but I love feeling the subsonic beats hit my chest while i drive! Now to completely get rid of the rattling...
well atleast i gave u 1 good idea
try spta97's eggcrate thing if u got the time and patience. i agree the dynamat is way to expensive and hard to work into that small space. btw zach did u ever get a hold of that one guy with the 5th get with the clear corners and 20's on his ride? i talkin about the white 1 u know which 1. i saw him last night too, and like 2 times today driving, kinda wierd that ive been seeing max's everywere
Old 12-17-2002, 09:30 PM

No, he never contacted me. He had a phat lookin max though, but i left him the web address for this forum, my email, and my AIM sn...maybe he didn't speak english nor have a computer?! haha

Is that a 'no' to helping me? or did u just not see that, lol.
Old 12-17-2002, 09:37 PM

No, he never contacted me. He had a phat lookin max though, but i left him the web address for this forum, my email, and my AIM sn...maybe he didn't speak english nor have a computer?! haha

Is that a 'no' to helping me? or did u just not see that, lol.
wtf i didnt even see that post, i just check the inbox and saw i had two post by u in the same thread. looks like we both posted about the same time. nah man its cool im just gonna be a A$$ and not help u, im just in 1 of those moods. j/k when i have time, yeah ill help u out, but remember u might be off school but im at work from 7:30-6 like everyday. i might have some time tomorrow night to swing by, same with friday night, and maybe sunday afternoon (i wake up after 12, its the only day i get more then 6hrs of sleep ) but give me a call any of those day or times and ill swing by. if u dont call by sunday ill just hit u up then. ur choice man let me know.
Old 12-18-2002, 06:03 AM

good idea with the eggcrate. i have a bunch of that from packages. when i put my CDT MS-80 in place of the 8" Bose sub, i'll probably go ahead and do your eggcrate also. i shouldn't get too much rattling over the Bose though, with the MS-80. heard the output isn't so great, but the SQ is awesome.
Old 12-18-2002, 04:18 PM

Sunday would probably be best, since i have finals until fri.
Old 12-28-2002, 08:24 PM

Alright, with the help of my friend and the help of MaxDoogie/Phazeshifta12/Doug Andrews and help from Cwally, I have conquered the rattling beast. My car has absolutely no rattling inside and out. The only thing that shakes, is the license plate cover, but it makes almost no noise. I went to Fry's and purchased a Foam Mattress Pad for a twin bed. It cost $13 with my Fry's VIP Card. I cut it to fit the rear deck and made sure I cut out the wholes for the seatbelts and clips and whatnot, and with a bit of shoving got it in. The rear deck sits about a cm higher than it is supposed to be, but I can't tell a difference with the seats up. I'm so happy with it, sounds great and cost me a total of $13.11 which is a hell of a lot cheaper than 200+ for the dynamat and 300+ for install or whatever the insane prices are for the install. NO RATTLES!!
Old 12-29-2002, 03:21 AM

Alright, with the help of my friend and the help of MaxDoogie/Phazeshifta12/Doug Andrews and help from Cwally, I have conquered the rattling beast. My car has absolutely no rattling inside and out. The only thing that shakes, is the license plate cover, but it makes almost no noise. I went to Fry's and purchased a Foam Mattress Pad for a twin bed. It cost $13 with my Fry's VIP Card. I cut it to fit the rear deck and made sure I cut out the wholes for the seatbelts and clips and whatnot, and with a bit of shoving got it in. The rear deck sits about a cm higher than it is supposed to be, but I can't tell a difference with the seats up. I'm so happy with it, sounds great and cost me a total of $13.11 which is a hell of a lot cheaper than 200+ for the dynamat and 300+ for install or whatever the insane prices are for the install. NO RATTLES!!

congrats!!!! have to add that fix to the how to section!!!

nettie
Old 12-29-2002, 03:23 AM
RBa

How did you get the rear deck out?? I still cant get it..

And that link by ms.thicknes doesn't seem to work..
Old 12-29-2002, 12:57 PM

Here I made my own little How-to. Its probably horrible but it worked for me.

Rear Deck How-to
Old 12-29-2002, 12:59 PM

Here I made my own little How-to. Its probably horrible but it worked for me.

Rear Deck How-to

if you are going to permanently host this how to I will send you the pics that I had on my site (I took it down...it only has 10 gigs and I use it for everything)

let me know

nette
Old 12-30-2002, 08:17 AM

Excellent! I went as far as shoving the egg crates in my trunk lid and Peal & Sealed as well. I'm still getting rattling from there but only outside the car. I got my windows re-tinted and now the bose grill is making some noise again , I'll have to re-adress that when I've got more time on my hands.
Old 01-09-2003, 07:16 AM

Re: How-to remove the rear deck?

Did you ever get the info you need? I have the same problem and the link posted in this thread is a dead link. Do you know of another one with pictures?

Thanks
Old 01-09-2003, 07:27 AM

Re: Re: How-to remove the rear deck?

Originally posted by darryl12

Did you ever get the info you need? I have the same problem and the link posted in this thread is a dead link. Do you know of another one with pictures?

Thanks
it is going to be hosted someplace else...as soon as I have the new link I will post it here and in the how-to section!!

annette
Old 02-20-2003, 10:15 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Annette

it is going to be hosted someplace else...as soon as I have the new link I will post it here and in the how-to section!!

annette
I need your instructions PLEEEEEEASE.

I printed them out before, but of course I've lost/forgot them now that I'm ready to use them.

If you can host them again, I would appreciate it!
Old 02-20-2003, 04:48 PM

Re: Annette

Originally posted by IceY2K1

I need your instructions PLEEEEEEASE.

I printed them out before, but of course I've lost/forgot them now that I'm ready to use them.

If you can host them again, I would appreciate it!
dang boo....I sent the files to Kev at boosted maxima's and I don't think he posted the page....I will have to take the pictures again this weekend and make a page on my cardomain page (since they are gone after I reformated my harddrive).....I'll pm you when I do

nette
Old 02-20-2003, 06:23 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I've finally come with your correct answer and no junk. See this link http://zachaltman.hypermart.net/Rear-deck.htm That's how you remove your rear deck. Check my homepage to see how I sound deadened the trunk. I used some stuff called FatMat from ebay. Don't turn your subs around. That will make then sound like ****. It anything move them back or turn them facing upwards. It all really depends on your box (ported or sealed) and your speakers. Hopefully this helped you out.
Old 02-22-2003, 12:50 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Re: Re: Annette

dang boo....I sent the files to Kev at boosted maxima's and I don't think he posted the page....I will have to take the pictures again this weekend and make a page on my cardomain page (since they are gone after I reformated my harddrive).....I'll pm you when I do

nette

Thanks.