5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2k-2k1 intake owners, plz step inside

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 04:47 PM
The Definitive AE Master

2k-2k1 intake owners, plz step inside

I put on my injen for about 2 weeks before it threw a code. I reset it and drove for about 3 weeks with no problems. A couple days ago, the "service engine soon" light pops up again on the freeway. I put back the stock intake and take it to the dealer. Not a bad MAF or o2 cause the car runs decent. Here is what they found:

Code: P0420 T-WAY Cat System
Cause: FW
EE27AA DTC P0420/P0430 3-WAY Catalyst Function

Something to do with the cat/exhaust system. They performed a "service bulletin by reporgramming ECU with update software."

No charges whatsoever, done in about 4.5 hours (very busy)

btw... 26k miles, 2k1 auto, injen owner

a local org member had the same problem around the same mileage and gave me advice that the problem could be a faulty cat. Hope this helps people.
Old 12-17-2002, 06:47 PM

yep...happened to me twice!

one at like 13k and the next at around 26-27

the intake shouldnt throw you a service engine soon light

most of problems with the SES light are emmision problems
Old 12-17-2002, 06:56 PM

Yeah I had this one. They reflashed the CPU and all is well. Was a real pain in the rear when I failed emissions, though.
Old 12-17-2002, 08:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've had one forever, but I cant figure out why. I get no codes from the dealer. I originally got it with just my frankencar intake. Yes it was properly installed. The dealer cleared it and it came back. I switched to the Injen and it went off. It came back on after I did some exhaust work. I think I need to replace an O2 sensor, but I also switched back to my frankencar intake. I have a test pipe and cattman Y also. Anybody have input?
Old 12-17-2002, 08:14 PM
The Definitive AE Master

Originally posted by Y2KSESteve
I've had one forever, but I cant figure out why. I get no codes from the dealer. I originally got it with just my frankencar intake. Yes it was properly installed. The dealer cleared it and it came back. I switched to the Injen and it went off. It came back on after I did some exhaust work. I think I need to replace an O2 sensor, but I also switched back to my frankencar intake. I have a test pipe and cattman Y also. Anybody have input?
can you just ask the dealer to download/update the newest software into your ecu? Cause looking at my invoice sheet, it seems that there is a service bulletin to perform this service on our cars.
Old 12-17-2002, 08:28 PM

Originally posted by Larrio

can you just ask the dealer to download/update the newest software into your ecu? Cause looking at my invoice sheet, it seems that there is a service bulletin to perform this service on our cars.
Hmm, I'll definitely ask and see what they say.
Old 12-17-2002, 09:28 PM

I dont get why any of u guys would have the P0420 code from the intake(any intake) the P0420 code means the right bank pre-cats effciency is low (the pre-cat by the radiator) the intake has nothing to do with it, its just a coincidence from my understanding.
Old 12-17-2002, 10:43 PM
The Definitive AE Master

Originally posted by HitManSE
I dont get why any of u guys would have the P0420 code from the intake(any intake) the P0420 code means the right bank pre-cats effciency is low (the pre-cat by the radiator) the intake has nothing to do with it, its just a coincidence from my understanding.
yea, your right about how the intake has nothing to do with the code. But it sure is a big coincedence when the only time it throws the code is AFTER an aftermarket intake is installed. It makes me wonder if it would have happened if I stayed stock.
Old 12-17-2002, 11:25 PM

yea, your right about how the intake has nothing to do with the code. But it sure is a big coincedence when the only time it throws the code is AFTER an aftermarket intake is installed. It makes me wonder if it would have happened if I stayed stock.
i understand what u mean by that, i mean if i just installed my intake and got the SES light right afterward i would say on **** the intake made me throw a code, obviously the first thing to come to mind. once u scan the code and see its P0420 its just wierd consdiering that the code and the intake are not related. there is however a small chance, and i mean really small chance the intake might throw it, what i mean is this. the air temp sensor tells the comp the temp of the air (to point out he obvious ) now what the comp does is add or subtact fuel goin into the engine by how dense the air is. now if the temp sensor is unplugged of installed somewere besides the intake pipe the comps gonna throw in more fuel then needed causing the car to run a bit rich will will throw a code. this i would think is the only way the intake would be related to the P0420 code, its very unlikely but i cant think of any other possible way. now im not saying thats what wrong with ur ride, i trust i installed the intake correctly just something im tryin to point out. if im wrong some1 please correct me im not tryin to be a smart A.
(sorry 4 the long post)
Old 12-17-2002, 11:38 PM
The Definitive AE Master

Originally posted by HitManSE

i understand what u mean by that, i mean if i just installed my intake and got the SES light right afterward i would say on **** the intake made me throw a code, obviously the first thing to come to mind. once u scan the code and see its P0420 its just wierd consdiering that the code and the intake are not related. there is however a small chance, and i mean really small chance the intake might throw it, what i mean is this. the air temp sensor tells the comp the temp of the air (to point out he obvious ) now what the comp does is add or subtact fuel goin into the engine by how dense the air is. now if the temp sensor is unplugged of installed somewere besides the intake pipe the comps gonna throw in more fuel then needed causing the car to run a bit rich will will throw a code. this i would think is the only way the intake would be related to the P0420 code, its very unlikely but i cant think of any other possible way. now im not saying thats what wrong with ur ride, i trust i installed the intake correctly just something im tryin to point out. if im wrong some1 please correct me im not tryin to be a smart A.
(sorry 4 the long post)
lol.. no offense taken on the ride. I know what you mean about how the intake and the code are not related whatsoever. I guess i'll just be glad that the light is gone and I can throw the intake back on.
Old 12-18-2002, 09:14 PM

lol.. no offense taken on the ride. I know what you mean about how the intake and the code are not related whatsoever. I guess i'll just be glad that the light is gone and I can throw the intake back on.
damn typo, i mean i trust u installed it correctly oh well. as long as the lights no longer on its all good, mine there to stay
Old 12-19-2002, 04:16 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

I threw the same code at about 20k. I had a Stillen Intake on at the time, but the code was seen a while afer. My understanding is that it's not so much a problem with any emissions on the car, but something with the emission parameters in the ECU. Apparently on some 2k and 2k1 models they set the parameters too tightly for Cali-spec. This in turn had some (maybe a lot) of people throwing codes after a while of driving the car for maybe 15k up to whenever. Naturally the more the car is driven the higher the emissions are going to be until they exceeed the set parameters and throw the code. That is the understanding I have of it. Explained to me by the dealer, service managers, and other people on the org have mentioned it.

It took almost 5 hours for them to d/l the new code. So if you have this type of code, then ask the dealer for the latest ECU program. I don't think it has much to do with the intake, although your emissions might be slightly higher after putting one on.