5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Clunking noise from my Stillen RSB

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2002, 01:40 PM

Clunking noise from my Stillen RSB

I need help! I have a 2000 maxima and i bought the stillen rear sway bar from a seller who said it was for a 2000 however it turns out the bar has only 4 holes unlike the 2000+ maxima with 5 holes. When installing the RSB and I tried to put it under the rear beam axle however the left most clamp would do go over the metal of the chassis. Now ever time I go over bumps or turn slowly I hear horrible clunking noises. I don't know how to fix the problem because its kind of hard to slide over the brackets. Any suggestions please help the noise is killing the affect of the RSB. P.S. my bolts are almost to the point of being stripped due to cheap quality bolts.

Thanks
Vilash
Old 12-19-2002, 02:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Clunking noise from my Stillen RSB

Originally posted by vman
I need help! I have a 2000 maxima and i bought the stillen rear sway bar from a seller who said it was for a 2000 however it turns out the bar has only 4 holes unlike the 2000+ maxima with 5 holes. When installing the RSB and I tried to put it under the rear beam axle however the left most clamp would do go over the metal of the chassis. Now ever time I go over bumps or turn slowly I hear horrible clunking noises. I don't know how to fix the problem because its kind of hard to slide over the brackets. Any suggestions please help the noise is killing the affect of the RSB. P.S. my bolts are almost to the point of being stripped due to cheap quality bolts.

Thanks
Vilash
What you can do it bend that metal tab that's preventing it from sliding more towards the front of the car. You'll see it right next to the abs line. That's what I had to do on mine because it kept clunking on the rear beam..
Old 12-19-2002, 07:04 PM

Re: Re: Clunking noise from my Stillen RSB

Is it the metal tab next to the spacer. My problem is that I don't know how i can slide out the front bracket since the frame gets thicker. Did yu take off the bar when you had those noises...did you have like the same type of noises when going over bumps or turning slowly? Did you suggestion fix the problem..

thanks
vilash
Old 12-20-2002, 01:53 AM

Re: Re: Re: Clunking noise from my Stillen RSB

Originally posted by vman
Is it the metal tab next to the spacer. My problem is that I don't know how i can slide out the front bracket since the frame gets thicker. Did yu take off the bar when you had those noises...did you have like the same type of noises when going over bumps or turning slowly? Did you suggestion fix the problem..

thanks
vilash
Same thing happen to me with the RSB. What I did is I drilled an additional hole and was able to place it right where it needed to be. I forgot how I did it but I think I just made measurements based on where the rear say bar was supposed to be and then I marked the spot. Then I drilled the hole and made the template to match the other side or something like that. As far as the clunking noise that you are getting. You need to tighten the bolts real good. Thats what I did and no problems since then.
Old 12-20-2002, 06:23 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You need to get the bar under the axle. If it goes to far back it will hit the bracket behind the axle that allows the rear beam to go up and down. So the only wat to get it to work is to move it forward.

You can drill another set of holes it the bar or cut notches in the lower part of the frame for the front brackets with a die grinder. I chose the latter but I have all the tools and a lift to do the job. The front brackets go just on the other side of the tabs. If you take the front brackets off loosen the nuts on the rears slid it foward and reattach the fronts loose enough to move it around you can find the position that works and mark with a sharpie. You only need to grind about 1/4-3/16" keep checking the fit until it fits then spray the notches with Rustolem(?). This will not effect the strength of the frame.
If you deside to drill holes in the bar you will need to measure exactly and center punch before drilling. I would also put the bar in a vise or if you have access to one clamp it to a drill press. The holes need to be just a hair larger than the bolts and go straight through the bar NO ANGLES or the bolts wonlt go through the bar. I would also paint the inside of the holes to prevent rusting.

I hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 12-21-2002, 05:08 PM

bump