5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Best tires for stock 17" rims

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2002, 07:06 AM

Ok before you jump on me, I did do a search, and there are so many threads, and so much info, I really couldn't make sense of most of it. I need new tires for my stock 17" rims. I live in NH so I need a good all year tire that will handle the snow and rain, along with dry conditions. What is the best tire I could get with the stock rim?
Old 12-20-2002, 07:06 AM
jjs

Re: Best tires for stock 17" rims

Originally posted by new2max
Ok before you jump on me, I did do a search, and there are so many threads, and so much info, I really couldn't make sense of most of it. I need new tires for my stock 17" rims. I live in NH so I need a good all year tire that will handle the snow and rain, along with dry conditions. What is the best tire I could get with the stock rim?
You did a search and did not notice a pattern for the Pilots?
Old 12-20-2002, 07:10 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

new2max, we'll break ya in easy ...

where in NH? im originally from the seacoast.

there are about 10 current threads on this (try searching 235/45/17, or cooper, or sumitomo, or potenza).

i have gone through the debate myself and recently just cancelled an order for some 235/45/17 sumis since i realized they were 8" wide to be mounted on our stock 7" ... i just didnt feel comfortable.

i hear the cooper lifeliner is a great tire and in our spec. if you have the bux, just go out and get the michelins. nothing will be better w/i spec.

i am just going to wait to get 17x7.5 or 17x8 wheels next year before i get new tires ... but i am really really not happy w/ the potenzas. if you dont my taking on some "out of spec" risk the best ive found are the sumis and potenza 950s.

good luck!
Old 12-20-2002, 07:16 AM

I live in Merrimack, so I was at Peter's today, getting my bad coil replaced. I know the Pilot A/S are the best, but I was hoping to not have to spend $800 on tires, especially the week before x-mas.

Seems like there isn't much choice. I have been on the phone with tirerack and the dealer. I'll wait until the end of the day to see what people post, and then make a decision (probably bit the bullet and drop the money for the Pilots ugh!)
Old 12-20-2002, 07:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I live in Merrimack, so I was at Peter's today, getting my bad coil replaced. I know the Pilot A/S are the best, but I was hoping to not have to spend $800 on tires, especially the week before x-mas.

Seems like there isn't much choice. I have been on the phone with tirerack and the dealer. I'll wait until the end of the day to see what people post, and then make a decision (probably bit the bullet and drop the money for the Pilots ugh!)
Don't be concerned, new2max. You won't be disappointed. And the sting of spending $800.00 will pass quickly enough.
Old 12-20-2002, 07:22 AM
jjs

Ok, from the first post it was simply the best tire...but admittedly they are pricey. Have you seen the thread from yesterday that Sears has some kind of sale on them? Around that $800.00 mark.

If that is too much, give us an idea of how much you would comfortably go and see what people come up with.

Also, can you specify if you want a 50 series tire or if you would consider other sidewall heights?
Old 12-20-2002, 07:38 AM

Yeah, I called sears, and they are back ordered. He quoted $889 mounted and all. I need an alignment too. Good news is my brother works at a Sears, so I would get 10% discount. Seems like that is the best option. Oh well, I was hoping to save some of my x-mas bonus, but that is looking less and less likely.

I was hoping to go with the Sumitomo HTR+, but they won't fit my 7" rims, and I really don't want to risk it, given we drive my car the most (I have a 18 month old son to consider). So I guess I keep telling myself "you get what you pay for!"

I know I could get the Goodyear Eagle RS-A's that are much cheaper. They seem to have decent reviews on tirerack, and a guy here at work has them on his '99 Max. He thinks they are great.
Old 12-20-2002, 09:13 AM

I need new tires for my stock 17" rims. I live in NH so I need a good all year tire that will handle the snow and rain, along with dry conditions. What is the best tire I could get with the stock rim?
Assuming you have 17x7 wheels...

There is ONE MORE choice that not many people are talking about, but so far looks like a relatively good all-around replacement tire.

225/50/17
Kumho ECSTA KH11- V-rated $100.00 at tirerack.
(tirerack states a "WR" rating, but I think that's a mistake)

235/50/17:
Kumho ECSTA KH11- V-rated $106.00 at tirerack.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...facturer=Kumho
Old 12-20-2002, 09:13 AM

Yeah, I called sears, and they are back ordered. He quoted $889 mounted and all. I need an alignment too. Good news is my brother works at a Sears, so I would get 10% discount. Seems like that is the best option. Oh well, I was hoping to save some of my x-mas bonus, but that is looking less and less likely.

I was hoping to go with the Sumitomo HTR+, but they won't fit my 7" rims, and I really don't want to risk it, given we drive my car the most (I have a 18 month old son to consider). So I guess I keep telling myself "you get what you pay for!"

I know I could get the Goodyear Eagle RS-A's that are much cheaper. They seem to have decent reviews on tirerack, and a guy here at work has them on his '99 Max. He thinks they are great.
I've heard that compared to the Pilot Sport A/S's they arent even close to as good...

If you like the 6 spoke wheels (like I do) then you basically have to bite the 900 clam bucket. I also will be doing this sometime next year. Like someone said...the sting will fade once you feel the Pilot 's on the road dude
Old 12-20-2002, 09:57 AM

All Season tires are a farse if you must use your car on a daily basis and you area gets regular snow accumulation.

Get a set of wheels and tires for the winter and put some real summer/performance rubber on. Or better, put winter tires on your OEM wheels and get some nice wheels for the summer.

Thats what I do minus the snow tires (still have stock ****enzas)as I don't commute with my car. So if it snows bad I just don't drive. But if I did I would put the Nokian WRs on my stock wheels, or if I had constant snow I would get the Hakka 1s.

Old 12-20-2002, 10:00 AM

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=175382
Old 12-20-2002, 10:10 AM
jjs

Re: Re: Best tires for stock 17" rims

The only one with the proper width and load rating is a 235/55-17 in that tire.
Old 12-20-2002, 11:07 AM

Re: Re: Re: Best tires for stock 17" rims

Originally posted by jjs

The only one with the proper width and load rating is a 235/55-17 in that tire.
Not true, I bought the 215/50HR17 from tirerack.com and they work fine with the OEM wheel.
Old 12-20-2002, 11:23 AM
jjs

Re: Re: Re: Re: Best tires for stock 17" rims

Originally posted by CRMax

Not true, I bought the 215/50HR17 from tirerack.com and they work fine with the OEM wheel.
Yes, but I think the minimum recommended load rating is 93, those are only 90's.
Old 12-20-2002, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by CRMax
the 215/50 will be a bit shorter (25.4645) than the 225/50 (25.8582) but they will fit fine!

ive been contemplating that size since the 235 is too wide

jerome
Old 12-20-2002, 11:27 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Best tires for stock 17" rims

Originally posted by jjs
Yes, but I think the minimum recommended load rating is 93, those are only 90's.
good call jjs - a lil extra pressure should hold it up ok, i would hope!
Old 12-20-2002, 12:06 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Best tires for stock 17" rims

Originally posted by jjs

Good point. I believe the 215s are 90. Not a big factor unless you carry a lot of stuff or frequently travel with 4/5 people. But you are right.
Old 12-20-2002, 12:24 PM

well if I got snow tires, the average one is about $150. Or I could get 15" or 16" rims and a cheaper tire. The local Napa place could do that for about $500 for winter tires (plus mounting). I would still need to replace my tires in the spring, figure $100 for decent tires plus mounting.

Either way it is a $900 hit, and I think I would rather the Mich sport a/s if I'm going to have to spend the money. I'm still trying to make up my mind, so I'm hoping someone has a solution I haven't thought of.
Old 12-20-2002, 12:39 PM

good deal for ya ...

new2max - send me an email (jerome.dubois@verizon.net) ...

if you want sumitomo HTR+, 215/50/17 sullivan will get 'em for ya. should be around $500 installed/balanced. (the guy im working w/ is in salem).

cheers -
jerome
Old 12-20-2002, 12:39 PM

Originally posted by Y2KSilvahSE

I've heard that compared to the Pilot Sport A/S's they arent even close to as good...
Where did you hear that, Y2KSilvahSE? The Kumho KH11's are brand new tires. In fact, they're so new that I haven't seen any reviews of them yet. Please identify your sources.
Old 12-20-2002, 12:42 PM

Originally posted by y2kse
Where did you hear that, Y2KSilvahSE? The Kumho KH11's are brand new tires. In fact, they're so new that I haven't seen any reviews of them yet. Please identify your sources.
prob from you y2kse!

im finnally gonna get my tires! im psyched!
Old 12-20-2002, 01:22 PM

what about the NT-450 EXTREME's? Online tires has them for about $100. I really don't want to have to drop $900 right before x-mas. Sorry guys, I have a family, so that could buy a lot of diapers.
Old 12-20-2002, 01:29 PM
jjs

what about the NT-450 EXTREME's? Online tires has them for about $100. I really don't want to have to drop $900 right before x-mas. Sorry guys, I have a family, so that could buy a lot of diapers.
Interesting comments here...

http://www.miata.net/products/wheels/nittont.html

Not sure what to tell you...since you expressed concern for driving around on what you have, personally I would just whip out the plastic (to get you through the holiday) and pay it off later. ESPECIALLY if you plan on using whatever you purchase to drive with all year round and not get dedicated snows.

And before everyone goes nuts about credit cards, interest, et al...I consider this type of purchase to be exactly what I keep cards for...I do not use them for everyday purchases.
Old 12-20-2002, 04:25 PM

I'm very interested in the Sumitomo HTR+ and was very disappointed when I found out they didn't have any that fit my rims. Please let me know the deal on the new size. I would be curious to see the specs on those to make sure they handle the load and fit the rim properly. I have a young son, so I'm not going to take a chance on a tire size if they aren't rated for my car and rim.
Old 12-20-2002, 05:13 PM

I'm driving on these Nittos. You can safely go 100mph+++ on dry highway, about 80mph on wet, and maybe around 40 on snow (I have too little experience driving on snow).
Overall they are good, not expensive tires for everyday drive, with threadlife much longer than stock Protenzas.
Good luck.
Old 12-20-2002, 05:35 PM
Maxima Pilot

Just to prove how much sizes vary by

brand, take a look at the specs below for the Kumho 711, right off the TireRack web site for size 215/50/17
Load rating: 91H
Rim width: 6-7.5"
Section width: 8.9" (almost same as the Pilot Sports 225/50)
Diameter: 25.9" Ditto, almost the same as the Potenza 225/50

This tire is a shoo-in replacement for the crappy Potenza...at load rating of 91 it's MORE than enough for our Maxes, considering its the same rating as many of the 16" tires on the non-SE cars.
Old 12-20-2002, 06:16 PM

Originally posted by jerdubois

prob from you y2kse!
Hmmmm. Now why would I ask someone to identify their source if I was the source?

No, I'm not the source. But I'm anxiously awaiting a report on the Kumho KH11s from someone who can act as one.
Old 12-21-2002, 04:46 AM

Well as far as the sumi's go, I read the reviews at tirerack, and talked to 2 guys over there about the tires. They are one of their best tires, much better than any other tire at that price. They drive very similiar to the Mich Sport A/S. Plus a good friend (maximachad) advised his aunt to get them for her infiniti, and she loves them. They handle great in dry/wet/snow. So that is enough for me.

I'm going to see if I can get them today. I'll report on things later, and make sure I post a review of the tires (if I get them) in about a week after driving them. I'm sure well get some rain and snow in that time.

Thanks again for all the input! I love this place, you guys (and gals) never let anyone down about our beloved Maxima's!
Old 12-21-2002, 06:35 AM

Well as far as the sumi's go, I read the reviews at tirerack, and talked to 2 guys over there about the tires. They are one of their best tires, much better than any other tire at that price. They drive very similiar to the Mich Sport A/S. Plus a good friend (maximachad) advised his aunt to get them for her infiniti, and she loves them. They handle great in dry/wet/snow. So that is enough for me.

I'm going to see if I can get them today. I'll report on things later, and make sure I post a review of the tires (if I get them) in about a week after driving them. I'm sure well get some rain and snow in that time.

Thanks again for all the input! I love this place, you guys (and gals) never let anyone down about our beloved Maxima's!
Good luck with the Sumi's, new2max. They have an excellent reputation and I'm sure they'll work out just fine for you. But I don't think you're likely to start a trend with them. Most Org members are interested in maintaining or increasing the width of their tires, not decreasing it. And given the growing number of tires becoming available in 225/50R17 and 235/50R17, there may not be a reason for them to have to.
Old 12-21-2002, 03:29 PM

Econ 101...class is in.

First of all, the nitto's suck.

Second, i'm looking for tires too and after having to replace a busted tire last week i'm not trying to drop $900 on pilot sports in 6 months, so other option is to get wider rims and run the sumi's. Primative math (keeping mounting and balancing constant but including delivery) assuming same mileage from pilots and htr's says that buying rims (i used 17" moda r6's) and 2 sets of htr's comes to about the same as 2 pr. of pilot sports. Again, it's primative w/ MAD rounding and really simplified, but if you're gonna keep your max for a while it's not a bad idea.

That's what my $80,000 college education bought me.