5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

hangin' with an M3

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2002, 02:09 PM

hangin' with an M3

hey all, i was driving along (enjoying my ride =)...) when this "M3" flys by me, then slows down up ahead of me. it was an older model, i guess he wanted to show me his M3 badge. so i pull up beside him, we cruise along a little while. in the meantime i was pondering if i should endulge this guy; i had a trunk load of presents, laundry and my suit case as well... anyhow i wanted to see if i could at least keep up with him. this was on the hwy, and there were quite a few cars with us. so we both go. he had the bling bling mags, exaust, lowered.. who knows what else under the hood.. hey it said M3.. so we both gun it, and to my surprise i kept up with him pretty good. so i'm thinking i must be dreaming, perhaps it was just badged as an M3. any how i also noticed that his engine would growl right before he accelerated. ok considering i actually kept up with him (even with my trunk full of my stuff), and the fact that he sounded like an auto; *do all M3's come with a manual only?* i'm thinking he was a poser BMW M3. !OH YEAH!.. i love my MAX! --no disrespect to all the auto drivers.
Old 12-22-2002, 04:36 PM

and the fact that he sounded like an auto
how does an auto sound?
Old 12-22-2002, 04:51 PM

Yes the M3 comes in auto, and the older ones are very slow.

On another note presents do not count as massive weight gain and keeping you from beating anything...Dont' take this the wrong way, but i'm just really tired of seeing the weight thing on this forum waaaaaaay over played...If it's that big of a problem, strip the car, and don't eat...THis is not really for you as much as all.
Old 12-22-2002, 04:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by max'n out

Dont' take this the wrong way, but i'm just really tired of seeing the weight thing on this forum waaaaaaay over played...I
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 12-22-2002, 04:56 PM

Re: hangin' with an M3

Originally posted by MAXRN
hey all, i was driving along (enjoying my ride =)...) when this "M3" flys by me, then slows down up ahead of me. it was an older model, i guess he wanted to show me his M3 badge. so i pull up beside him, we cruise along a little while. in the meantime i was pondering if i should endulge this guy; i had a trunk load of presents, laundry and my suit case as well... anyhow i wanted to see if i could at least keep up with him. this was on the hwy, and there were quite a few cars with us. so we both go. he had the bling bling mags, exaust, lowered.. who knows what else under the hood.. hey it said M3.. so we both gun it, and to my surprise i kept up with him pretty good. so i'm thinking i must be dreaming, perhaps it was just badged as an M3. any how i also noticed that his engine would growl right before he accelerated. ok considering i actually kept up with him (even with my trunk full of my stuff), and the fact that he sounded like an auto; *do all M3's come with a manual only?* i'm thinking he was a poser BMW M3. !OH YEAH!.. i love my MAX! --no disrespect to all the auto drivers.
According to edmunds.com, the older M3 (98') has 240hp/236 lb/ft of torque and is weighted around 3500 lbs. It does come w/auto option. If he was in an auto version, I am sure you can take him w/the 6 speed 02-Max.
Old 12-23-2002, 03:39 PM

oh ok...

thx. for the info guys, have a safe holiday/s.
Old 12-23-2002, 04:09 PM

how does an auto sound?
since he has an exhaust, and when it shifts its not like a manual, it shifts at high rpms and the 1st gear, then to lower rpms and sounds kinda like this:bbuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrr then buuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old 12-23-2002, 05:12 PM

okay, sorry to say....you guys are wrong

lol, just joking, i say this because of the following:

Even though the M3 has less hp than a maxima, it does 0-60 in 5.4 seconds, and does the quarter mile in 14.1 I have not seen a non boosted max even 6-speed do a quarter mile faster than that.

Also, I know that the M3 is faster because we own both cars...and the M3 handles much better, and is quicker in the straights.

I am not trying to get flamed here, and I'm not saying that he's lying. There are many times that I think someone is trying to race with me but the are just cruising and didn't even notice im there. I am telling my experience since I drive both cars at least twice a week.
Old 12-23-2002, 05:31 PM

Originally posted by 2M0A0X2
Even though the M3 has less hp than a maxima, it does 0-60 in 5.4 seconds, and does the quarter mile in 14.1 I have not seen a non boosted max even 6-speed do a quarter mile faster than that.

Emax ran a 13.8 in his N/A '02 6spd. Nealoc ran a 13.9 in his N/A 4th gen 5spd. And Blu(sorry Blu forgot your handle)ran a 13.9 in his N/A '02 Auto. Not sure if there are others, those three are the only ones I could think of. Nealoc and Blu used slicks, Emax was on street tires I think.
Old 12-23-2002, 08:34 PM
vqman

I own a 2003 SE w/6 speed, before I bought it, I test drove a 1998 M3 with a 5 speed. I am 6'3" so the M3 was too small, and I bought the Max...but slow? The M3 WITH MANUAL TRANNY would KILL any stock Maxima.

If this guy had an auto M3...then maybe it would be close...

but did anyone figure out what an auto tranny sounds like? too funny...

-vq

Old 12-23-2002, 08:43 PM

Originally posted by VQMAN

I own a 2003 SE w/6 speed, before I bought it, I test drove a 1998 M3 with a 5 speed. I am 6'3" so the M3 was too small, and I bought the Max...but slow? The M3 WITH MANUAL TRANNY would KILL any stock Maxima.

If this guy had an auto M3...then maybe it would be close...

but did anyone figure out what an auto tranny sounds like? too funny...

-vq
I too am 6'3 and think the m3's 95 through now are pretty comfy, at the very least of the max level if not better, at least the coupes, not the sedan thing they tried making.

Yes an m3 with a manny is very quick, an m3 with auto tranny ( which if you read is what I wrote) is very slow.
Old 12-23-2002, 08:53 PM
RBa

I too am 6'3 and think the m3's 95 through now are pretty comfy, at the very least of the max level if not better, at least the coupes, not the sedan thing they tried making.

Yes an m3 with a manny is very quick, an m3 with auto tranny ( which if you read is what I wrote) is very slow.
S/Ced auto M3 is faster than S/Ced manual maxima....

Old 12-23-2002, 08:57 PM

Originally posted by RBa

S/Ced auto M3 is faster than S/Ced manual maxima

And a Viper is faster than a Pinto.

Old 12-23-2002, 08:58 PM

okay, sorry to say....you guys are wrong

lol, just joking, i say this because of the following:

Also, I know that the M3 is faster because we own both cars...and the M3 handles much better, and is quicker in the straights.

I am not trying to get flamed here, and I'm not saying that he's lying. There are many times that I think someone is trying to race with me but the are just cruising and didn't even notice im there. I am telling my experience since I drive both cars at least twice a week.
I dont think any1 can argue with this, the older M3 is fast period. 5.4 is very accurate 60time and so is that 14.1 actually its easy tio get it faster with just a few bolt on. there somewhat generous on extra power. also u cant rule out the BMW trannys which seem to make the car go faster the higher the speed. M3s are speed demons period, oh and im pretty confident on saying the no max can come close to the handling capabilities of the M3 it did top out over the Ferrari F355 in a Motor trend and R&T tests sooo what u raced was either a poser M3 or an auto(i didnt know they came it auto? )
Old 12-23-2002, 09:03 PM

Originally posted by Cumalot

Emax ran a 13.8 in his N/A '02 6spd. Nealoc ran a 13.9 in his N/A 4th gen 5spd. And Blu(sorry Blu forgot your handle)ran a 13.9 in his N/A '02 Auto. Not sure if there are others, those three are the only ones I could think of. Nealoc and Blu used slicks, Emax was on street tires I think.
they modded? exactly
Old 12-23-2002, 09:32 PM

M3 is more of a sport sedan than a Maxima. You can see M3 running in GT races, but you don't see a Maxima in GT races.

a fair compairision would more be like, GT-R Vs. M3.

However, a Maxima 6spd would give older M3's a run for its money.
Old 12-23-2002, 09:59 PM

Originally posted by nismotech
M3 is more of a sport sedan than a Maxima. You can see M3 running in GT races, but you don't see a Maxima in GT races.

a fair compairision would more be like, GT-R Vs. M3.

However, a Maxima 6spd would give older M3's a run for its money.
ahhhh.....no
Old 12-23-2002, 10:36 PM

they modded? exactly

Of course they are. You never said stock. They are just non boosted...like you said.
Old 12-23-2002, 10:54 PM

i raced a 97 or so 4 door M3 on the highway one night, and i put about 3-4 cars on him each time... i would slow down to about 100 and let him catch up, then beat on him again. even if he was an auto, i was pretty surprised at how i was pulling on him.

i know he was racing for sure, i was cruising in the left lane and he blew by me in the middle lane so i chased after him, then flew by and kept toying with him.. he must have been pretty ****ed
Old 12-23-2002, 11:03 PM

Originally posted by JoesMAX
i raced a 97 or so 4 door M3 on the highway one night, and i put about 3-4 cars on him each time... i would slow down to about 100 and let him catch up, then beat on him again. even if he was an auto, i was pretty surprised at how i was pulling on him.

i know he was racing for sure, i was cruising in the left lane and he blew by me in the middle lane so i chased after him, then flew by and kept toying with him.. he must have been pretty ****ed
Old 12-24-2002, 06:48 AM
vqman

I wasn't really replying to you specifically, or trying to bust your ***** or nothin...

but comfort...the Max and M3 might be the close, but not interior space...go test drive one overnight...when you get back in your Maxima, it'll feel like a huge...when you get in one for a couple of minutes, it seems about the same, but it is ALOT smaller inside. The Maxima is actually an inch or two longer than a 5 series...

Old 12-24-2002, 08:34 AM

ahhhh.....no
Ahhhh.....yes.

Older M3 especially Auto are not that fast. I raced S4 on the highway once and pulled a little bit on him. I think I will have no problems with M3. It also depends what on the year of that M3. Earlier models had less power I think.

Great car though, even the older ones look so good.
Old 12-24-2002, 09:59 AM

Originally posted by Dany

Ahhhh.....yes.

Older M3 especially Auto are not that fast. I raced S4 on the highway once and pulled a little bit on him. I think I will have no problems with M3. It also depends what on the year of that M3. Earlier models had less power I think.

Great car though, even the older ones look so good.
ooooh, i see......yeah, auto are pigs ......yeah, 1996+ got a 3.2 litre horsepower with more torque while the 1995 had a 3.0 litre engine.
Old 12-24-2002, 11:24 AM

I wasn't really replying to you specifically, or trying to bust your ***** or nothin...

but comfort...the Max and M3 might be the close, but not interior space...go test drive one overnight...when you get back in your Maxima, it'll feel like a huge...when you get in one for a couple of minutes, it seems about the same, but it is ALOT smaller inside. The Maxima is actually an inch or two longer than a 5 series...
I still say the m3 is better comfort wise, I'm not the only one ihave severel friends taller than me one thats 6'6, that says the m3 is more comfy than the maxima...Really it comes down to the opinion, but I say it's better cuz you sit flater and more laid out.
Old 12-24-2002, 11:27 AM

I still say the m3 is better comfort wise, I'm not the only one ihave severel friends taller than me one thats 6'6, that says the m3 is more comfy than the maxima...Really it comes down to the opinion, but I say it's better cuz you sit flater and more laid out.
i say so too, because in the passenger seat in the maxima, there is a big lump on the floor, so u can't put your feet flat. In the M3, there is no such bump, and this matters for really long road trips.
Old 12-24-2002, 12:00 PM

they modded? exactly

You said this..

Even though the M3 has less hp than a maxima, it does 0-60 in 5.4 seconds, and does the quarter mile in 14.1 I have not seen a non boosted max even 6-speed do a quarter mile faster than that
Cumalot said this..

Originally posted by cumalot

I did 13's with my 17's and 18's. One time I was at the track there was a 5spd 95 M3 there with a intake and exhaust. We talked, his best time was a 14.1 all night @ 99 MPH, his 60's wher better then mine too.
Old 12-24-2002, 12:27 PM

I am 6'4" and i have more room in my 03 330Ci than in my 2001 Maxima. As far as performance goes, my BMW is much quicker than my maxima was fully modded. I had intake, chip, y-pipe, catback and sts in my max and it still took that thing longer to reach 135 than my stock 330Ci does. ANY Maxima would be hard pressed to take a BMW on the highway anywhere, from any speed. I still love my maxima, but after owning a BMW i don't think i will ever own anything else.
Old 12-24-2002, 12:32 PM
vqman

you are right, comfort is opinion.

but, size is fact.

the fact is, the Maxima has more interior space.

-vq

Old 12-24-2002, 01:17 PM

ahhhh.....no
So are you saying stock for stock a Maxima will match a M3(95-99)'s performance in terms of a "Sport Sedan"?

-0-60 and 1/4 mile time
-suspension tuning
-Sport Feel
-Driving Pleasure
-Agility

I really can't see what catagory Maxima will beat M3 performance wise besides more HP and TQ, 6spd perhabs.

Luxury is something to be discuss at another time, so lets not go there yet.
Old 12-24-2002, 01:23 PM
vqman

i say so too, because in the passenger seat in the maxima, there is a big lump on the floor, so u can't put your feet flat. In the M3, there is no such bump, and this matters for really long road trips.
you can't put you're feet on the floor if you're in the back seat sitting behind me in an M3, I have the front seat touching the back seat to keep, cause the seat is all the way back, and i lean it back real far so my head don't touch the ceiling...if you were in the back seat of an M3 while I was driving on a long trip, you wouldn't have any place to sit...the M3 is a kick a$$ car, but you can't say it has more room...just a....nevermind, I don't know why I'm wasting my time with you guys....

-vq

Old 12-24-2002, 01:29 PM
vqman

Originally posted by maxse01
I am 6'4" and i have more room in my 03 330Ci than in my 2001 Maxima. As far as performance goes, my BMW is much quicker than my maxima was fully modded. I had intake, chip, y-pipe, catback and sts in my max and it still took that thing longer to reach 135 than my stock 330Ci does. ANY Maxima would be hard pressed to take a BMW on the highway anywhere, from any speed. I still love my maxima, but after owning a BMW i don't think i will ever own anything else.
I drove my 2003 SE to the BMW store, before I finalized my deal with the Nissan dealer...looking at other options...I sat in a 2002 330ci, RED/BLACK Leather, 5 speed...the car was BAD! but I had less room to move around...it isn't as wide...I couldn't spread out...my legs had to be pressed together like a school girl to keep from bumping my knees on anything...

with that, I drove my soon to be Max back to "State-Line-Nissan" and made the purchase....oh, and the M3 we are referring to in prior posts is smaller than the 330ci's you and I are talking about here...

-vq

Old 12-24-2002, 01:34 PM
vqman

So are you saying stock for stock a Maxima will match a M3(95-99)'s performance in terms of a "Sport Sedan"?

-0-60 and 1/4 mile time
-suspension tuning
-Sport Feel
-Driving Pleasure
-Agility

I really can't see what catagory Maxima will beat M3 performance wise besides more HP and TQ, 6spd perhabs.

right, don't go to luxury, cause the BMW will win there too...

performance...BMW
styling.......BMW
luxury........BMW
size..........Nissan

it's the only thing...

how the hell did this thread get into an arguement about the interior space of a 3 series BMW?

I guess that would be my fault...sorry everyone....

Old 12-24-2002, 02:51 PM

geez...

hmm..when i started this thread, all i wanted to say was that i love my max. although if i had the disposable income i would ALSO get an M3... happy holidays!
Old 12-24-2002, 02:56 PM

to hell with the M3, I'm saving up for the new v8 s4!!!!!
Old 12-24-2002, 04:29 PM

-0-60 and 1/4 mile time
-suspension tuning
-Sport Feel
-Driving Pleasure
-Agility

I'm saying that stock for stock, a maxi CAN'T beat an M3 in all those factors.

you can't put you're feet on the floor if you're in the back seat sitting behind me in an M3, I have the front seat touching the back seat to keep, cause the seat is all the way back, and i lean it back real far so my head don't touch the ceiling...if you were in the back seat of an M3 while I was driving on a long trip, you wouldn't have any place to sit...the M3 is a kick a$$ car, but you can't say it has more room...just a....nevermind, I don't know why I'm wasting my time with you guys....

-vq
I'm talking about the front passenger seat. There is a lump in the ground, so u can't put your feet flat. The M3 doesn't have this lump. When your feet aren't flat on the ground, your ankles start to hurt after a while.
Old 12-24-2002, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by Linh
to hell with the M3, I'm saving up for the new v8 s4!!!!!
yeah im with u on that, except in saving up for the 500hp V10 M5
Old 12-24-2002, 11:05 PM

We are in for a HP WAR!! In 2 Years everybody is going to be running 300HP under the hood and still be called slow..
Old 12-25-2002, 08:16 AM

yeah im with u on that, except in saving up for the 500hp V10 M5
With that much HP under the hood, i'm going with the car with AWD (quattro). I'm currently paying for a 2002 Altima SE and 2001 330i, I'm wondering how much trade in I can when the new S4 finally does arrive
Old 12-25-2002, 12:37 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Remember also that >>>>>

the M3's engine technology is about 10 years old, the M50 motors came out in the 5 series about 1991 and into the 3 series at 1992 with the 325is which only had 189HP as a 2.5 liter, but in late 1994 BMW bumped up the displacement to 3.0 liters a little hotter cams for the model year 1995 for the M3 and got 240hp. European M3 models first got the 286hp then the 321hp 3.0 liter motors.
Old 12-25-2002, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by Linh
With that much HP under the hood, i'm going with the car with AWD (quattro). I'm currently paying for a 2002 Altima SE and 2001 330i, I'm wondering how much trade in I can when the new S4 finally does arrive
yeah the AWD of the S4 is nothing short of crazy. they rips most any car out of the hole, bad!! a friend of mines ripped a 4 cars off the line on a SS camaro and its got nothin but a chip, intake and rims with better tires. gotta love traction.

Quick Reply: hangin' with an M3