5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Anyone Got Konig Tantrums on their 5th Gen.. and had this problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2002, 10:05 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Cant get my new wheels in? Help!

Alright I am very excited to install my new Tantrums 17X7 (Toyo FZ4 225/45/17) but now this problem. The back wheel cannot go in. The center cant go flush (snug) over the bearings cover (I think) of the back wheels. Can anyone help me with this? Does anyone have an opinion? I dont know what the offset is right now
Old 12-23-2002, 10:18 AM

Re: Anyone Got Konig Tantrums on their 5th Gen.. and had this problem?

Originally posted by NyMaxedOut
Alright I am very excited to install my new Tantrums 17X7 (Toyo FZ4 225/45/17) and now it looks like the center piece wont go in on the back wheel. The center piece on the rims keeps popping out and it feels like the ring on the rim wont go in snug [flush] to the end of the center piece of the [axle] in the back. Anyone had this problem? The front ones went smooth but I cant get the backs ones to fit. I took it to a tire shop and they told me the center of the rim needs to be shaved in order to make it fit. But I am afraid shaving may weaken the rim altogether. Anyone got Tantrums and had this problem on their 5th gen? Any suggestions?
Hey NyMaxedOut, I had the same problem with my TMW-GTV, what we did was to crush the beering cover with a hammer and a punch, you need to punch all around the cover so it diminish the circonference, but be carefull because this cover protect the wheel beering from collecting dirt, but if you are carefull and dont smash the cover, that should work out and clear your wheel it should take 5-7 minutes per wheel. There might be other solution like smaller beering cover but at that time it sounded like the only solution to us.

Cheere

AA
Old 12-23-2002, 01:14 PM

Re: Re: Anyone Got Konig Tantrums on their 5th Gen.. and had this problem?

Originally posted by doublea

Hey NyMaxedOut, I had the same problem with my TMW-GTV, what we did was to crush the beering cover with a hammer and a punch, you need to punch all around the cover so it diminish the circonference, but be carefull because this cover protect the wheel beering from collecting dirt, but if you are carefull and dont smash the cover, that should work out and clear your wheel it should take 5-7 minutes per wheel. There might be other solution like smaller beering cover but at that time it sounded like the only solution to us.

Cheere

AA
Alright, I think I want to try this. I would like to know if anyone else with Konigs had this problem?
Old 12-23-2002, 01:27 PM
RBa

Re: Re: Re: Anyone Got Konig Tantrums on their 5th Gen.. and had this problem?

Alright, I think I want to try this. I would like to know if anyone else with Konigs had this problem?
No but my lugs keep on coming loose..

What offset are your rims?
Old 12-23-2002, 01:39 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone Got Konig Tantrums on their 5th Gen.. and had this problem?

Originally posted by RBa

No but my lugs keep on coming loose..

What offset are your rims?
Shoot I dont remember. Gotta check when i get back home. Sorry to hear about the loosening lug nuts though. Careful!
Old 12-23-2002, 02:40 PM
RBa

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone Got Konig Tantrums on their 5th Gen.. and had this problem?

Shoot I dont remember. Gotta check when i get back home. Sorry to hear about the loosening lug nuts though. Careful!
Did you use those centric hub rings? That could also be a reason.
Old 12-23-2002, 03:10 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone Got Konig Tantrums on their 5th Gen.. and had this problem?

Originally posted by RBa

Did you use those centric hub rings? That could also be a reason.
Not sure what those rings are? Still using the stock [generic rings].
Old 12-23-2002, 06:21 PM

i had that problem with my Motegi's and i tried the hub-centric ring but thats not where the problem lies. its the part where the actual cap is and how its sits on that grease cap in the back.
Old 12-23-2002, 07:12 PM
Got Bent?

can't you modify the center cap of the wheels to make the grease cap fit? I thought you could do that with the Tantrum's center cap...
Old 12-23-2002, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE
can't you modify the center cap of the wheels to make the grease cap fit? I thought you could do that with the Tantrum's center cap...
Dario: how you did you finally fix that problem? Can you send me some infor on how to get the tantrums in? I would really love to have them in for Christmas to go visit the fam...
Old 12-23-2002, 08:55 PM
RBa

I guess this is why one should never buy Konig..

Dammit. I want new rims now.
Old 12-24-2002, 12:22 PM

Originally posted by RBa
I guess this is why one should never buy Konig..

Dammit. I want new rims now.
any new thoughts on how I can get the center of the rim to clear the bearings cover on the back wheels?
Old 12-25-2002, 07:42 AM

any new thoughts on how I can get the center of the rim to clear the bearings cover on the back wheels?
Hey NyMaxedOut, the hammer and the punch. Another way would be to remove the beering cover and replace it with some plastic cover that can be custom made.

Cheers

AA
Old 12-25-2002, 02:25 PM

Hey NyMaxedOut, the hammer and the punch. Another way would be to remove the beering cover and replace it with some plastic cover that can be custom made.

Cheers

AA
AA-> thanks and I am going to try that on thursday. hopefully the weather will be better.
Old 12-25-2002, 05:32 PM

AA-> thanks and I am going to try that on thursday. hopefully the weather will be better.
Hey NyMaxedOut, I forgot to told you, after you hammer the cover, it's going to look like $hit, just so you know before you start. I can take a pic tommorow morning, so you'll have an idea before your start the irreversible. Let me know of any interest.

Cheers

AA
Old 12-25-2002, 06:08 PM

Hey NyMaxedOut, I forgot to told you, after you hammer the cover, it's going to look like $hit, just so you know before you start. I can take a pic tommorow morning, so you'll have an idea before your start the irreversible. Let me know of any interest.

Cheers

AA
DoubleA -> Yes, it would nice to see a pic so i know what it'll look like and if possible how I am suppose to do it. You are a lot of help man and I appreciate it. I am feeling really down about these rims. The weather has me pushing back installing them for a few days. And just to ask, can I get replacement covers from the dealer if ever I needed to.
Old 12-25-2002, 06:18 PM

DoubleA -> Yes, it would nice to see a pic so i know what it'll look like and if possible how I am suppose to do it. You are a lot of help man and I appreciate it. I am feeling really down about these rims. The weather has me pushing back installing them for a few days. And just to ask, can I get replacement covers from the dealer if ever I needed to.

Dont worry you will soon forget about this bad dream, I will take some shots tommorow morning, I'm on vacation for 2 more weeks so, it's kinda on the fun side for me. I'm shure you can get a replacement cover at the dealer.

AA
Old 12-25-2002, 06:24 PM

Dont worry you will soon forget about this bad dream, I will take some shots tommorow morning, I'm on vacation for 2 more weeks so, it's kinda on the fun side for me. I'm shure you can get a replacement cover at the dealer.

AA
thanks man! you keepin my hopes up. (slightly OT) Enjoy those two weeks though. I just noticed you are in Quebec.. I guess going to Florida would be a bit of a drive although I have CDN plates in FL before. I always wondered about that.
Old 12-25-2002, 06:38 PM

thanks man! you keepin my hopes up. (slightly OT) Enjoy those two weeks though. I just noticed you are in Quebec.. I guess going to Florida would be a bit of a drive although I have CDN plates in FL before. I always wondered about that.
I did the MTL-Florida ride once, it took me 28 hours, but for now I'm staying here, I will hopefully go ski in the next couple of days.

AA
Old 12-25-2002, 06:58 PM

I did the MTL-Florida ride once, it took me 28 hours, but for now I'm staying here, I will hopefully go ski in the next couple of days.

AA
28hrs? Damn that a lot of driving. Oh well, happy holidays and I will be faithfully waiting on the pics tomorrow. Oh! I am here for faster or easier nymaxedout@yahoo.com
Old 12-26-2002, 08:51 AM

28hrs? Damn that a lot of driving. Oh well, happy holidays and I will be faithfully waiting on the pics tomorrow. Oh! I am here for faster or easier nymaxedout@yahoo.com
Hey NyMaxedOut, I just sent you some pics with explanations, let me know if it's clear enough.

Cheers

AA
Old 12-26-2002, 10:47 PM

Hey replace the caps with some that you can get at Pep Boys. You have to get the ones that go on flush. That is what I did with my Konig Tantrums also you need to put on new hub cenering rings for the Koing. I ahve ahd mine on for 9 months and it works great.
Old 12-27-2002, 02:17 PM

Originally posted by LatinMax
Hey replace the caps with some that you can get at Pep Boys. You have to get the ones that go on flush. That is what I did with my Konig Tantrums also you need to put on new hub cenering rings for the Koing. I ahve ahd mine on for 9 months and it works great.
Hey DoubleA, I got your pics on what to do with the covers. I plan to try it over the week end.
LatinMax, I am going to Pep Boys to find out about getting some replacement caps. I 'll ask them about hub centering rings too. Do you know if those are available at Pep Boys?
Old 12-27-2002, 04:02 PM

Hey DoubleA, I got your pics on what to do with the covers. I plan to try it over the week end.
LatinMax, I am going to Pep Boys to find out about getting some replacement caps. I 'll ask them about hub centering rings too. Do you know if those are available at Pep Boys?
I got mine at Discount Tires. My guy knows his $hiT. He might be able to mail to you if you can't find them...he is the one that told me about the center caps at Pep Boys.
Discount Tires, Steve Hern (manager) 8550 North Macarthur Boulevard, Irving, TX 75063 (972) 432-8778
Hope that helps...I tried beating the hell out of my caps and it did not work for me.
Old 12-28-2002, 08:26 AM

Hey NyMaxedOut, let me know if you can find new caps, I'd be interested in changin my busted one.

Cheers

AA
Old 12-28-2002, 09:32 AM

Hey NyMaxedOut, let me know if you can find new caps, I'd be interested in changin my busted one.

Cheers

AA
I am going to look for them at Pep Boys today. I went there yesterday for brake pads and forgot to ask them.
Old 12-28-2002, 02:02 PM

I got mine at Discount Tires. My guy knows his $hiT. He might be able to mail to you if you can't find them...he is the one that told me about the center caps at Pep Boys.
Discount Tires, Steve Hern (manager) 8550 North Macarthur Boulevard, Irving, TX 75063 (972) 432-8778
Hope that helps...I tried beating the hell out of my caps and it did not work for me.
LatinMax --> I have to call the manager at this place. I cant seem to find the rings or covers at any of the local pep boyz in NYC area. Thanks a lot for the info. I am gonna call him on Monday.

DoubleA-> Did you want to find out about getting new caps as well.
The only good thing so far is the snow on the ground not making miss not having the new wheels.
Old 12-28-2002, 05:06 PM

LatinMax --> I have to call the manager at this place. I cant seem to find the rings or covers at any of the local pep boyz in NYC area. Thanks a lot for the info. I am gonna call him on Monday.

DoubleA-> Did you want to find out about getting new caps as well.
The only good thing so far is the snow on the ground not making miss not having the new wheels.
I didn't had a chance to look for the cap today, maybe tommorow.

Is in that weird, I'm the one living north and you guys get the snow !!! There is no snow this year in mtl, but I'm sure we'll get planty in feb-march.

AA
Old 12-29-2002, 12:27 PM

I wish i had seen this earlier...do not crush it with a hammer.

it comes off although not easily....I used a screw driver to wedge it out.

Do not crush those caps. Remove them and save them.
You may need them again one day
Old 12-29-2002, 09:18 PM

Originally posted by acMAX
I wish i had seen this earlier...do not crush it with a hammer.

it comes off although not easily....I used a screw driver to wedge it out.

Do not crush those caps. Remove them and save them.
You may need them again one day
But acMax, isnt removing them running the risk of getting dirt in them? I know I have the Konig center caps but you dont think dirt will be a factor?
Old 12-30-2002, 07:08 AM

But acMax, isnt removing them running the risk of getting dirt in them? I know I have the Konig center caps but you dont think dirt will be a factor?
once those center caps have been removed the tantrums will fit directly over that space (make sure to use hubcentric rings).
The rims and the center caps are enough to block most if not all of the dirt.

You will see what I'm talking about as you put the rims on after you have removed those caps.

I've had my tantrums for over a year now and I've had no problems with my wheel bearing due to dirt.

There was this one time when my sister borrowed my car and seriously
slammed the back wheel into a curb that resulted in a need to replace that wheel bearing but that's a whole other story...

I suppose its still possible that problems may develop in the future due to dirt in the wheel bearing but I highly doubt it. It's been over a year now and no problems here.
Remove the cap, and put on the tantrums...once you see how nicely they fit over that space, you will see what I mean.
Other than removing that cap (kind of a b*tch)...You should have no other problems...
Old 12-30-2002, 07:16 AM

You should never leave the cover out, this protect the wheel beering and keep it sealed from dirt and water, it's kinda risky to not replace it.

Cheers

AA
Old 01-03-2003, 05:17 PM

DoubleA, acMax, LatinMax and all others who helped me on this thread. I finally got the Konig installed today. I went to a rim shop in Brooklyn and the manager told me to simply install a "spacer" in the back wheels. He charged $20 each and in no way had to modify, change or affect my center cap or wheel at all. So, DoubleA, I know you were interested in center caps but he said he didnt have smaller ones. He can sell spacers if I want to additional ones if needed. The manager there is pretty cool and I plan to go there for all my tire/rim needs that needs fixing. The place is called Whitneys Tires on Atlantic avenue in Bklyn. PS/the caps went between the rim and rotor and look real sweet. Thanks and let me know if I can help any. The Konigs ride real nice. I can feel the weight difference already.
Old 01-04-2003, 08:52 AM

DoubleA, acMax, LatinMax and all others who helped me on this thread. I finally got the Konig installed today. I went to a rim shop in Brooklyn and the manager told me to simply install a "spacer" in the back wheels. He charged $20 each and in no way had to modify, change or affect my center cap or wheel at all. So, DoubleA, I know you were interested in center caps but he said he didnt have smaller ones. He can sell spacers if I want to additional ones if needed. The manager there is pretty cool and I plan to go there for all my tire/rim needs that needs fixing. The place is called Whitneys Tires on Atlantic avenue in Bklyn. PS/the caps went between the rim and rotor and look real sweet. Thanks and let me know if I can help any. The Konigs ride real nice. I can feel the weight difference already.
I'm trying to understand what the spacer are doing to correct the problem ? Was the problem cause because the bearing cover is of a bigger diameter than the parts is sit on, is it that the spacer push the wheel outside so it doesn't reach the wheel center part, or do I just need to get a second coffee. he he he

Cheers

AA
Old 01-04-2003, 09:32 AM

I think that is what it does. But I ahve a concern with that...If the wheels center themselves thru the center hub using the centering rings. How is the wheeel center on the car now with the spacer? I would be scared of loosing the wheel at high (or low) speeds).
Old 01-04-2003, 09:38 AM

I think that is what it does. But I ahve a concern with that...If the wheels center themselves thru the center hub using the centering rings. How is the wheeel center on the car now with the spacer? I would be scared of loosing the wheel at high (or low) speeds).

Hey LatinMax, that should be of a concern, if the wheel center is not hooked to the wheel it will not be as sturdy as it should be, still the 5 bolts will hold the wheel well, but it should be a concern if you hit a major pothole or if you have a car crash then what happend ? I prefer to crush the beering cap.

Cheers

AA
Old 01-04-2003, 09:44 AM

Hey LatinMax, that should be of a concern, if the wheel center is not hooked to the wheel it will not be as sturdy as it should be, still the 5 bolts will hold the wheel well, but it should be a concern if you hit a major pothole or if you have a car crash then what happend ? I prefer to crush the beering cap.

Cheers

AA
I just got a smaller cap that cleared my wheels.
Old 01-04-2003, 11:57 AM

I'm trying to understand what the spacer are doing to correct the problem ? Was the problem cause because the bearing cover is of a bigger diameter than the parts is sit on, is it that the spacer push the wheel outside so it doesn't reach the wheel center part, or do I just need to get a second coffee. he he he

Cheers

AA
Yes, DoubleA, you are right. The problem was that the bearing cover is of a larger diameter than the part the rim would sit on. Apparently, the space pushes the rim out more so that it doesnt reach the bearing cover. The wheel place told me they install them regularly on rims and so far has never had any problems. I even told him I drive the car very frequently at high rate of speed, well over 85, and he said that has never been a problem. I am bit concerned myself and will continue to look for smaller bearing covers. So far so good. The wheel is so much lighter and the car drives faster too. Actually, I picked both rims (aftermarket and stock) and the stock weighs twice the weight of the konig.
Old 01-04-2003, 02:55 PM

So far so good. The wheel is so much lighter and the car drives faster too. Actually, I picked both rims (aftermarket and stock) and the stock weighs twice the weight of the konig.
cool.....good luck, enjoy, and for god's sake, be careful!
Old 01-04-2003, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by acMAX

cool.....good luck, enjoy, and for god's sake, be careful!
Hmm! Thanks! I will share any further experience with you guys