5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Removing Center Console/Armrest

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2002, 08:46 AM

Removing Center Console/Armrest

I'm about halfway through with my Sirius Satellite install, and I came across a problem. I was albe to remove most of the dashboard, but I'm not able to remove the center console from the gearshift back. I removed the 2 screws (on each side) at the back of the armrest and the one inside the armrest container, but it still won't come out. Any clue?

[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\ngaynor\Desktop\gearshift.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\ngaynor\Desktop\gearshift2.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\ngaynor\Desktop\gearshift3.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-26-2002, 09:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Removing Center Console/Armrest

Originally posted by sagaynor
I'm about halfway through with my Sirius Satellite install, and I came across a problem. I was albe to remove most of the dashboard, but I'm not able to remove the center console from the gearshift back. I removed the 2 screws (on each side) at the back of the armrest and the one inside the armrest container, but it still won't come out. Any clue?

[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\ngaynor\Desktop\gearshift.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\ngaynor\Desktop\gearshift2.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\ngaynor\Desktop\gearshift3.jpg[/IMG]
You can not link pics form your harddrive.

I beleive there are 2 more screws. Push both your front seats forward and crawl into the back seet. There you will find a screw on the bottom right and bottom left side of the consult.
Old 12-26-2002, 09:09 AM

Sorry about the pics. I already removed the screws at the back of the console. Any other thoughts?
Steve
Old 12-26-2002, 09:12 AM

Use this for the pics...

Install Pics
Old 12-26-2002, 09:17 AM

Use this for the pics...

Install Pics

I took mine off a while ago. I remember getting confused a bit. Have you taken out the screws under the arm rest? If you open up the arm rest(second box down) there is a little black carpet at the bottom. Pull that out and I think there are 2-3 more screws under there.
Old 12-26-2002, 09:25 AM

Yes, there are screws in the armrest as already mentioned, but it would probably be easier if you also removed the ashtray-cigarette lighter-hazard button plate also. To do this, open up the ash tray and remove the tray itself. Under it is a screw. Unscrew it, then take a flat head and prod around the gearboot.
Old 12-26-2002, 10:01 AM

Thanks to everyone. However, I've done all that was mentioned. The screw in the armrest was removed already. Also, I removed the ashtry-lighter-hazard panel and everything else above it too. You can see the pics on my homepage. I still have no clue. Thanks again.
Old 12-26-2002, 10:16 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Where?

Exactly are you stuck? Does the rear or front of the console get "stuck"? Let me know which side is not co-operating and I can help better. I have removed mine plenty of times to help ya out.

Remember that the front if you look deep into the console has two "snaps" that hook it into the dash. You have to pop these guys out in order to free the front part up. Then its a careful contortion act to get the front out.

Lemme know if I can be of more help.

Colonel
Old 12-26-2002, 10:23 AM

It's the front that's getting stuck. I think I recall a few screws towards the front. If there are screws there, rest assured that I removed them. If they are snaps, like you suggest, then I might have not popped them out. Do I need to do anything special to get the console around the e-brake handle?
Old 12-26-2002, 10:29 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Well

It's the front that's getting stuck. I think I recall a few screws towards the front. If there are screws there, rest assured that I removed them. If they are snaps, like you suggest, then I might have not popped them out. Do I need to do anything special to get the console around the e-brake handle?

I am not talking about screws. In the front there are like plastic "hooks" that are placed in fitted holes. They are farther down and you might even need a flashlight to see them. They are very close to the carpet part and no more than 1" inside of the edge of the plastic.

As for the ebrake, you have to fanagle it around it. I never had to remove any part of my ebrake. You just want to be very careful as you rotate it upwards. You kinda have to play a scootch and move game with the ebrake part. Its not hard at all.
Old 12-26-2002, 05:46 PM

Colonel,
Thanks for your help. I was able to locate the clips when I got home from work today. I didn't realize they were as far back as they were. Got the console out without a problem. Thanks again.
Steve
Old 12-26-2002, 06:10 PM

Now this is what you call ... TEAM EFFORT!!

Glad to see a newbie get help from other org members. Right on!!!
Old 12-26-2002, 06:57 PM

Feels like.... Feels like a family
Good to see you found your problem... Geez. I hate to see what our service bills would be if we didn't have the forums... or what our bill is from what we tore up. lol.
Old 12-26-2002, 08:09 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Colonel,
Thanks for your help. I was able to locate the clips when I got home from work today. I didn't realize they were as far back as they were. Got the console out without a problem. Thanks again.
Steve
]

No problem..glad I could help ya!